Pay Up Pompey

Anything yellow and blue
Hog
Grumpy old git

Pay Up Pompey

Post by Hog »

Just got home and haven't heard what Radio Oxford and their callers have had to say but now it has finished I can say I enjoyed that!

What an intense, frenetic game it was - it seemed to me to be a hundred miles an hour for the full 90 minutes! I wonder if Pompey have to do that every home game in front of such a large crowd? Not quite end-to-end has Pompey were at our end more than we were at theirs but we didn't sit back and attacked whenever we could. They had all the chances (did we actually have a shot on target - can't remember their keeper making a save) but smiled when one of their players claimed on Radio Solent they had 19 attempts on goal! Nah!

Two top saves by Clarke in front of us in the first half, solid displays by Mullins and Wright in front of him, Collins seemed to be everywhere in midfield and Hylton as busy as ever up front but they all played their part in earning a well deserved point. No tippy-tAppy but some good controlled passing mixed with a more direct approach.

Oh and the pitch was almost as bad as ours!

I was exhausted at the end!
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re: Pay Up Pompey

Post by Hog »

Listened to RadOx on iplayer now: there were no callers!
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Agreed it was played at 100mph. Great entertaining stuff too. Both sides with excellent defences, no shortage of skill and passion. A classic British football match.

I don't quite agree with Hog's slant on the balance of play. I felt a nil-nil draw was perfectly fair. Yes Clarke had to make two top draw saves, but we created chances too.

Collins or Wright MoM for me, with Clarkey getting a big shout too.

Pompey forward play is focussed heavily on their front three of Taylor, Tubbs and the very mobile number 8. Their interlinking and movement were top draw, but so were our defence.

Good to have Skarz back. Best left back we've had for some time.

I was concerned for the result before the game, but pretty satisfied afterwards. We had the better of the first half, Pompey were better in the second half.

That's 4 very good performances from the last 6 games Luton, Stevenage, Portsmouth and Mansfield.

If we keep up this improved standard of play, we should be safe.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

If we hadn't let in that last minute goal at Stanley we'd be looking at a decent run
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

I thought it was a good game and I am very happy with the hard earned point.
It could turn into an excellent point IF we back it up tomorrow night
versus Morecambe.

I like going to Fratton Park - a good old fashioned ground full of passionate fans
who make a helluva noise when Pompey attack.

I thought after a difficult first 20 minutes in which Clarke kept us in it with
two top drawer saves we settled down and Wright and Mullins had probably
their best game together this season. Thought Skarz and Baldock did fine
and Collins and Ruffels had their work cut out in the centre of the park
against Atangana, Hollands and Wallace.

Hoban is clearly struggling up front at this level - I am concerned
but he may well get that all important first goal tomorrow.
I recall John Durnin netting once in his first 19 games for the U's in 1989!

Pompey are a team of giants with only Tubbs and Butler under six feet it would appear
and they won so many headers it was scary. They will be the team to beat next season
if they are still in League Two.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

enjoyable game, thought the ref did well to let the game flow for the first hour, before it started getting niggly.

stewards seemed overzealous again, pulling several people out of the queue for no good reason (other than having been to a pub), not staggering drunk. i tried videoing one pair of stewards 302 and another (outside the ground) to make sure the fan didn't "fall over", they came across started demanding fees for their copyright and image rights, told me i had no right to film them, and so i had to let them delete what i'd taken. seeing as they were being overofficious rather than violent, i let them, as i guess they'd have refused me in if i didn't.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

slappy wrote:enjoyable game, thought the ref did well to let the game flow for the first hour, before it started getting niggly.

stewards seemed overzealous again, pulling several people out of the queue for no good reason (other than having been to a pub), not staggering drunk. i tried videoing one pair of stewards 302 and another (outside the ground) to make sure the fan didn't "fall over", they came across started demanding fees for their copyright and image rights, told me i had no right to film them, and so i had to let them delete what i'd taken. seeing as they were being overofficious rather than violent, i let them, as i guess they'd have refused me in if i didn't.
Depends where you are filming them from.

If you are on public property, they can't stop you. On private property, you need the land owner's permission to film.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

slappy wrote:stewards seemed overzealous again, pulling several people out of the queue for no good reason (other than having been to a pub), not staggering drunk. i tried videoing one pair of stewards 302 and another (outside the ground) to make sure the fan didn't "fall over", they came across started demanding fees for their copyright and image rights, told me i had no right to film them, and so i had to let them delete what i'd taken. seeing as they were being overofficious rather than violent, i let them, as i guess they'd have refused me in if i didn't.
I believe I'm right in saying that there's nothing to stop you filming in a public place - however much people may dislike it. Certainly Wikipedia seems to think so:
Following a prolonged campaign, including a series of demonstrations by photographers dealt with by Police Officers and PCSOs, the Metropolitan Police was forced to issue updated legal advice which now confirms that 'Members of the public and the media do not need a permit to film or photograph in public places and police have no power to stop them filming or photographing incidents or police personnel'...

Persistent or aggressive photography of a single individual may come under the legal definition of harassment...

A right to privacy exists in the UK law, as a consequence of the incorporation of the European Convention on Human Rights into domestic law through the Human Rights Act 1998. This can result in restrictions on the publication of photography (my emphasis).
In other words, you should be able to take photographs in a public place, provided there are no signs/restrictions advising you otherwise (eg, at a museum) and provided you don't publish those pictures in a way which might threaten someone's copywrite or which might be construed as harassment.

I take your point that an over-zealous steward who doesn't understand the law might refuse you entry whilst they get clarification - and that might deter you from doing so. However, in legal terms, you're well within your rights.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

this was on the path to the right hand side of the away end, so is possibly within the stadium footprint if not in the ground itself.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Next time, turn on the auto-upload feature if you have one, then just "help" the stewards to "delete" the local copy.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: In other words, you should be able to take photographs in a public place, provided there are no signs/restrictions advising you otherwise (eg, at a museum) and provided you don't publish those pictures in a way which might threaten someone's copywrite or which might be construed as harassment.

I take your point that an over-zealous steward who doesn't understand the law might refuse you entry whilst they get clarification - and that might deter you from doing so. However, in legal terms, you're well within your rights.
It all depends on the definition of "public place" though. A football ground is probably not a public place as it is somewhere you have to pay to gain entry, is controlled by the landowner, and there are terms and conditions of entry (one of which almost certainly relates to photography and filming).