Consistency

Anything yellow and blue
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Consistency

Post by ty cobb »

Maybe our lack of consistency that Appleton has talked about has something to do with lack of a consistant starting 11 this season. I've never known a season like it in terms of the number of full backs we're getting through.

I actually think we've been pretty consistant all season actually - consistantly poor.

Just over a year since Wilder left us with a eight-point buffer to the teams outside the play offs and just four points off the top of the league with a game in hand on four of the five teams above us at the time.

Just over a year later we're 5 points off relegation, 12 off the play offs and a massive 24 off the top all with what looks like a much improved squad.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Re: Consistency

Post by Werthers Original »

Yes but apart from that
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

It's clearly not a much improved squad though is it? I'm not a fan of Appleton but his tactics haven't been so ludicrous as to cost us 20+ points so far this season. What has become apparent is the players lack the consistency, or application to put together a series of good results. They can do it sporadically when the mood takes them but that does not make them good footballers at a professional level.

Obviously this doesn't absolve Appleton of the blame given he's signed all these players (and discarded many of them) and the revolving door nature of the team this year has made things worse. If we weren't flirting so outrageously with relegation I'd be inclined to give him the first half of next season to see if he can sign some half-decent permanent players and give his (probably half-baked) philosophy time to bed in, but as it is I'd rather we got in a sergeant major type to bark at the ones we've got rather than be their coach/mentor like Appleton appears to be.
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

Any post by ty cobb seems to be one craving the return of C J Wilder!
Change the record - he's gone - and he ain't coming back :mrgreen:
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

I think it's reasonable for Ty to say this given that he was one of the few who said at the time that Wilder was better than many of us realised. It's worth re-stating that when we've had enough time pass to know it to be true.

Hopefully we can learn from this next time we have an even half-decent manager (one who led us to a rare promotion, after all).

I say this as one who didn't care that much either way about Wilder's departure at the time.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

I really didn't understand the desire to get rid of Wilder for the months leading up to his departure. By the time he left it was a relief, not so much because the team was performing badly, but because the relationship between him and the fans had become pretty much irreconcilable.
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

What’s the point of arguing the toss about who was right or wrong?

Horton Out

Kemp Out

Atkins Out

Kassam Out

Wilder Out

What the 'terraces' wanted has happened – time to move on before the fans start wanting the fans out, as from my perch all I see is divisions amongst the faithful and no strong and influential supporters group in existence.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Have moved on but there's always something to learn from stepping back and considering where we were a year ago.

Short term loans for example - other managers were pulled up, quite rightly, for using too many of these. Gets in the ways of younger players, ruins team spirit and if the player is good we don't benefit longer term.

This season we seem to have used more loans than any other in my supporting history. Speaks to the consistancy point again, you won't get that if players are only here for a month or so.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

ty cobb wrote:Have moved on but there's always something to learn from stepping back and considering where we were a year ago.

Short term loans for example - other managers were pulled up, quite rightly, for using too many of these. Gets in the ways of younger players, ruins team spirit and if the player is good we don't benefit longer term.

This season we seem to have used more loans than any other in my supporting history. Speaks to the consistancy point again, you won't get that if players are only here for a month or so.
Can't the club do a DNA test before signing players?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Snake wrote: from my perch all I see is divisions amongst the faithful and no strong and influential supporters group in existence.
I don't think you, I or the club should worry about fans arguing with each other on internet boards. I haven't heard any serious divisions amongst attending fans yet.

And what exactly do you think a more 'influential' supporters group should be doing at the moment? Last time we had one of those look what they brought us - an owner who reneged on his promises of using businesses located near the stadium to strengthen the club, reneged on his promises not to sell the club without the ground, made a fortune out of our old ground and is still the biggest stumbling block to a sustainable, self-sufficient OUFC, collecting a hefty rent cheque every quarter while doing next to nothing to make our tenancy in any way pleasant.

Despite all that our off-pitch situation seems rather stronger than it has been for some time (assuming the current lot live up to their promises of not saddling the club with debt, which of course we should all be monitoring closely). It's on the pitch that is the biggest worry and comparisons with previous managers and seasons are perfectly valid I reckon...
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

And what exactly do you think a more 'influential' supporters group should be doing at the moment? Last time we had one of those look what they brought us”.

What did happen to the people who organised the protest at the Bristol Rovers game? They seem to have gone very quiet in recent times...
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Snake wrote:And what exactly do you think a more 'influential' supporters group should be doing at the moment? Last time we had one of those look what they brought us”.

What did happen to the people who organised the protest at the Bristol Rovers game? They seem to have gone very quiet in recent times...
Sorry, is that an answer to my question? If so I don't understand it. What do you think a more 'influential' supporters group should be doing? In your original post you seemed to be bemoaning the lack of one for some reason (which can't have been just a petty point-scoring side-swipe at OxVox, as I'm sure you're above that kind of thing).
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Kernow Yellow wrote:
Snake wrote:And what exactly do you think a more 'influential' supporters group should be doing at the moment? Last time we had one of those look what they brought us”.

Sorry, is that an answer to my question? If so I don't understand it. What do you think a more 'influential' supporters group should be doing? In your original post you seemed to be bemoaning the lack of one for some reason (which can't have been just a petty point-scoring side-swipe at OxVox, as I'm sure you're above that kind of thing).
Something in between what the mob at the Rovers game did, and the polite but 'good relationship' that OxVox have.

If the club goes down it will die this time. You can't sell it even for a quid even now because of the debts and contractual obligations it has. No one will want it in the Conference.
Eric Pollard
Brat

Post by Eric Pollard »

You know what? I don't agree.
The club would start again and eventually be stronger for it.
Don't get your jab at OxVox either oh peripatetic one.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Eric Pollard wrote:You know what? I don't agree.
The club would start again and eventually be stronger for it.
Don't get your jab at OxVox either oh peripatetic one.
I didn’t expect you to agree with me, but I kind of agree with you that the club could start again, though it could take many years to get backing into Division IV. And AFC New Club’s tend to hit their peak at this level.

Meanwhile, mind the reality gap - http://www.statto.com/football/stats/en ... 2006-03-26

That gap to the drop zone in very late 2006 is bigger than the current one. I even recall some people posting up things like “only 11 points off the play-offs, it CAN be done with a good run”.