Have I Got Old News For You

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re: Have I Got Old News For You

Post by Kernow Yellow »

slappy wrote:Liverpool FC talk memorable first goals for the club, including John Barne's debut goal against OUFC.
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/fo ... ck-7890590
Hardly surprising that the Oxford centre-back pairing of Briggs and Caton - both of them well past it by that point - struggled against that Liverpool line-up. I'm amazed it was only 2-0 in hindsight!
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I wonder if there's enough old stories for a top 10 of stories involving Oxford United where we are part of the scenery rather than the focus.
John Barnes's first goal for Liverpool.
Dennis Bergkamp's 100th goal for Arsenal.
Fergie's first game in charge for Manchester United.
Harry Redknapp's first full game in charge for Bournemouth.
Malcolm MacDonald's first appearance for Fulham with two goals disallowed.
Middlesbrough's winning promotion from division 3 in 1967.
any more?
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

slappy wrote:I wonder if there's enough old stories for a top 10 of stories involving Oxford United where we are part of the scenery rather than the focus.
any more?
First Pay Per View game on telly - (home to Sunderland - I forget when but Kevin Phillips was playing)
I think we were also the first team to play under floodlights
Only team to actually be given the Milk Cup to keep
Middlesbrough's winning promotion to the Premiership when Gazza was playing for them
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Radley Rambler wrote:Middlesbrough's winning promotion to the Premiership when Gazza was playing for them
I'd completely forgotten that Gazza was playing that day. But then I wasn't very sober :shock: In fact I've just looked up the Boro team - quite a strong midfield of Gascoigne, Merson, Townsend and Mustoe. Not bad for Div 2!

Back to the question, I think Glenn Hoddle's last goal for Spurs was against Us in 1987 - he walked through half our team before scoring iirc.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

David Mellor says “sorry” - http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/nation ... er_tirade/

I’m still waiting after 15 years for mine - http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/archive/199 ... at_Mellor/
Eric Pollard
Brat

Post by Eric Pollard »

Never knew about this bit of ancient history. Give us some more background Snakey , we're fascinated.

I always remember Mellor somehow confusing Martin and John Aldridge when he did 6-0-6 years ago.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Eric Pollard wrote:Never knew about this bit of ancient history. Give us some more background Snakey , we're fascinated.

I always remember Mellor somehow confusing Martin and John Aldridge when he did 6-0-6 years ago.
As stated, Mellor is a QC and we never did get a recording or a transcript of the six o’ six show, so I’d be legally slaughtered to post any more unverifiable details on a public internet board.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Hog wrote:Let's be frank, Tim Henman is no more an OUFC 'fan' than my best man Roger B who is chairman of STFC supporters club (and I don't mean Shrewsbury or Slough!)
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30310037
Henman brings up his support again.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

neilw wrote:The Brocky back pass is legendary amongst Everton supporters. It's been acknowledged a few times by Evertonians whom I've met. The story has even been passed down a generation, recited by those who weren't around at the time. For me, it still hurts. The names Irvine and Heath still put my hackles up. However, the subsequent Les Philips goal went some way to repairing the damage. Hard to accept that 30 years have since passed.
and again
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/vi ... fc-8408254
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Former U's assistant manager Andy Awford has emerged from a meeting
with Portsmouth chairman Iain Mcinnes with his job intact:

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompe ... -1-6543300
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Good!
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Radley Rambler wrote:
slappy wrote:I wonder if there's enough old stories for a top 10 of stories involving Oxford United where we are part of the scenery rather than the focus.
any more?
First Pay Per View game on telly - (home to Sunderland - I forget when but Kevin Phillips was playing)
I think we were also the first team to play under floodlights
Only team to actually be given the Milk Cup to keep
Middlesbrough's winning promotion to the Premiership when Gazza was playing for them
Didn't John Terry make his debut, or his first start, or something like that in THAT FA cup tie....?
Also, I think I heard the commentator on MOTD this week say that Jose mourinho's first game at Chelsea was a friendly against Oxford.
And thinking of friendlies, wasn't it against us that Christiano ronaldo played his first game in England after THAT wink?
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Ahh, the first pay-per-view match.

I got a phonecall from the guy who ran "A Love Supreme" a couple of weeks before.

"Do you fancy sharing the costs of a flyer to put in our fanzines protesting against pay-per-view football," he said.

"Sure," I said, happy to jump on any anti-Murdoch bandwagon.

"What's your print run for Yellow Fever?" he asked.

"Oh, around 800 at £1 each," I said boastfully (we were at our peak). "What's yours?"

"28,000, at £2.50 each..."

"Wow. Perhaps we shouldn't split the costs 50/50," I said.

"You know what, I'll give you the flyers for free," he said. "We sell thousands of pounds of merchandise a year too. This is a whole cottage industry, I've got a staff of 10 people, plus sellers. And we just beat you 7-0 a few weeks ago."

Mackems, huh.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Felipe Morais, who scored Bradford's second goal against Chelsea in the cup last week, appeared in Mourinho's first game in charge in for Chelsea in the pre-season friendly mentioned above. He never took to the pitch in a competitive game for Chelsea.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30821060