The U's v Exeter City

Anything yellow and blue
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Re: U's v Exeter City

Post by joepoolman »

As much as I hate to chop and change managers as much as we have in the last year, yesterday was the match when I decided I want Appleton to leave. We battered them for 20 minutes and yet only had one shot on target, which thankfully came from the boot of Danny Hylton. And for nearly all of the other 70 minutes we were crap, and seeing us go behind having been ahead for the third home match running was too much, I was almost frothing at the mouth. Thankfully a moment of individual brilliance salvaged a point from the wreckage but for Appleton to come on the radio to tell me that it would have felt like a win for supporters at the match was ridiculous!

Some other factors that have tipped me over the edge:
- Hoban playing 90 minutes when to me the guy clearly isn't fit while Campbell sits on the bench and Hylton plays on the wing.

- The signing of a left-back when we have two capable players in that position (excluding Newey), and given that MApp won't play Whing at right-back no right-backs in our squad.

- The talk that's now started about all the great things we're going to do next season when there's still plenty of work to do to make sure we don't end up trying to do all those great things at Dover and Braintree.

Stan James are offering 40/1 on Oxford getting relegated, I never bet on or against United but imo that's phenomenal value, and sadly very tempting.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

"A draw that feels like a victory". Does it?
Eric Pollard
Brat

Post by Eric Pollard »

Yes. It did. Sadly,

And now some supporters are considering putting on a few quid on OUFC getting relegated.
That's even sadder. :cry:

Yes, there are massive flaws at the back, yes Clarke is looking more and more like a pensioner digging for potatoes on his allotment, yes we have no idea re game management.

But how good to see a team made up of almost 50% local lads who would all appear to have bright futures and who are all going to get better. I was somewhat encouraged by that.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Hog wrote:"A draw that feels like a victory". Does it?
I nearly threw up when I heard MApp come out with that. Even if he thinks it - even if WE think it - as a manager under pressure he shouldn't be so bloody foolish as to say it. His whole interview sounded deluded. I really worry about where we'll be in four games time, given the opponents we have ahead.
Eric Pollard wrote:But how good to see a team made up of almost 50% local lads who would all appear to have bright futures and who are all going to get better.
Yes, and what a vindication of Lenagan's strategy of investing in the youth structure. The question I would be asking - and perhaps which OxVox will be asking - is where that system sits now with the new board.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Tippy Tappleton seems to have 9 lives and 2 get out of jail free cards available, and he has rolled a double for an extra turn.

How he could justify his post match comments is totally unbelievable. He clearly has a TV in the dugout watching some other team winning easily, believing it to be OUFC. He is deluded. Badly.

Make no mistake, we are serious candidates for relegation.

It is of absolutely no use whatsoever, being on top for half an hour and scoring just one goal, with very few additional strikes on target, if we then ALLOW the opposition to score 2 goals so easily from very little possession. Roberts' goal to steal a point at the death, was another prison escape, hiding the truth.

Our home form is absolutely shocking, and is the worst it has ever been in this division. Just 16 points out of a possible 42 or a 38% return. It is a disgrace. Even in our relegation to the Conference we managed 40% of the available points.

Under Wilder, we were promotion candidates. Under Appleton, he has got rid of most of those promotion candidates and substituted them for relegation candidates.

The only players to come away with credit from Saturday, were the development squad players, and Danny Hylton, who must wonder what he has let himself in for.

With the finances put into this club, we should be racing away at the top.

Too many sub-standard players have been signed. Far too many.

We are just a few days from the final chance to improve the squad. We've signed a left back from Rotherham, who according to RadOx before the game, has been out injured since November and has not been able to get back into the Rotherham side. Oh good, another player with fitness issues. And we are apparently going to be signing Ty Barnett again. Ty isn't good enough. He is a 10 goal a season man at best.

I'm sorry Michael but it isn'[t working and I have no belief anymore that it even can work with you in charge.

Daryl Eales is gaining a lot of credit in my book for the off field changes he is making. But that is strangulated by the attachment to Appleton. If we are relegated again, Eales will seriously struggle to regain fans' confidence.

A lot is being made of attendances on RadOx, but that belies the truth, as in Eales' own words, an average of 2000 free tickets are being issued for each match.

Our football club is being killed in a death by a thousand cuts, by a manager who doesn't appear to understand League 2 football and doesn't appear to be capable of learning from his own mistakes. No cross that last one out. He doesn't even recognise that he is making mistakes. The same ones, over and over again.

For me, it is time for Appleton to go.

APPLETON OUT
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

[quote=Godalming Yelllow] Ty isn't good enough. He is a 10 goal a season man at best.[/quote]

Whilst I agree with a lot you say, I can't let this go unchallenged. Barnett scored 6 in 12 appearances, so how that makes him 10 goals a season I don't know. Our record with him in the side was W5 D4 L3. Since he left it's been W1 D3 L3, and the win was the lucky one at Plymouth. He may not be the sort of striker who gets the fans purring, but he does seem to have been a key part of making the team work.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

It does seem odd for us to be signing yet another striker though (even if Barnett at the end of his loan spell started to look the business).

Hylton, Hoskins, Hoban, Campbell, Roberts, Barnett. Where exactly will they all fit in?
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

It's exactly what I did on my first attempt at Championship Manager - spunk all the budget on strikers, on the assumption that the more strikers you sign the more goals you score. I was sacked after 6 months...
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re: The U's v Exeter City

Post by Hog »

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Campbell should be out on loan to a Conference Regional club, assuming there's one willing to take a chance on someone from the Dog & Duck League - there doesn't seem to have been any a few weeks back when he was still in said League!
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

Ty Barnett a 10 goal a season striker in League 2?
Codswallop - he got 6 in 12 for us! I have no doubt over a full season in League 2, he'd be notching 18-20 goals for sure.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Well, if he played say 40 games and scored 10-12 goals while making a load for Hylton and generally playing effectively I'd be pleased.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Seems to me that all this 6 goals in 12 games is missing the point. After a few games where he was still getting his mojo back, in those last 4 or so games he played for us he scored several times (cannot be bothered to look at the exact figures), set up others, and held the ball up well, linking play. On that form, getting a decent run of games will mean far more than 10 goals in a season.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Dr Bob wrote:Seems to me that all this 6 goals in 12 games is missing the point. After a few games where he was still getting his mojo back, in those last 4 or so games he played for us he scored several times (cannot be bothered to look at the exact figures), set up others, and held the ball up well, linking play. On that form, getting a decent run of games will mean far more than 10 goals in a season.
Yep, OK I concede! Maybe it's just because he looks a bit awkward when playing that puts me off.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Ah GY now I understand why you didn't like Duffy, didn't matter how many goals he scored because he ran a bit funny he wasn't good enough!!
GodalmingYellow
Senile

ty cobb wrote:Ah GY now I understand why you didn't like Duffy, didn't matter how many goals he scored because he ran a bit funny he wasn't good enough!!
Lol Ty. I'm not even tempted...