The ‘Price of Football’ Report

Anything yellow and blue
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Re: The ‘Price of Football’ Report

Post by Jimski »

Snake wrote: Does anyone know if the wrong Miliband brother chosen as Leader is a footy supporter, and if so which team he supports and how much?
A bit closer to home, which football team do you follow and who is your favourite player?

A. If I’m completely honest I’m a lapsed Leeds United fan. I partly lapsed because I live in Doncaster as an MP, so I have some loyalty to them, and also because we’ve had a pretty dreadful 20 years. I’m getting back into it but I’m moving from being lapsed.

(from http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2010/07/21/th ... interview/)
Mr T
Brat

Post by Mr T »

The one plus point at the Kastad is the free parking. I don't know of any other team that does this, so I've got to know a lot of side streets around the country over the years!
Bring back the black away shirt!
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Jimski wrote:
Snake wrote: Does anyone know if the wrong Miliband brother chosen as Leader is a footy supporter, and if so which team he supports and how much?
A bit closer to home, which football team do you follow and who is your favourite player?

A. If I’m completely honest I’m a lapsed Leeds United fan. I partly lapsed because I live in Doncaster as an MP, so I have some loyalty to them, and also because we’ve had a pretty dreadful 20 years. I’m getting back into it but I’m moving from being lapsed.

Interesting. Wonder who Nick Clegg 'supports', United or Wednesday. And Farage?

As for me then it's Swansea City (since 1978), Oxford United (since 1984), Oxford City (when I feel like it), Wrexham (since 1968), Wales ('cos I'm born there), Engerland (since 1966) and North Leigh (since 1986). Too many favourite players to mention. A football slag, but I know more about it at all levels than most government ministers. Has the PM ever been spotted at an Oxford or Witney game?
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

Politics is show-business for ugly people.
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

Snake wrote:
Jimski wrote:

Interesting. Wonder who Nick Clegg 'supports', He's from Sheffield, but as a Lib Dem he probably supports Wednesday and United, but chooses one over the other on the basis of who's more successful at the time United or Wednesday. And Farage? I'm going to say Lazio - probably has a right old laugh practicing the 'Roman salute' with Paolo in the director's box

As for me then it's Swansea City (since 1978), Oxford United (since 1984), Oxford City (when I feel like it), Wrexham (since 1968), Wales ('cos I'm born there), Engerland (since 1966) and North Leigh (since 1986). Too many favourite players to mention. A football slag, but I know more about it at all levels than most government ministers. Has the PM ever been spotted at an Oxford or Witney game?
I really hope not. He still owes the city an apology for smashing up the city centre with his Bullingdon club mates.
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Snake wrote:Interesting. Wonder who Nick Clegg 'supports', United or Wednesday. And Farage?... Has the PM ever been spotted at an Oxford or Witney game?
The irony is, politicians are far better off to just say "sorry, I don't really follow football" than to feign an interest in a team and be exposed as a charlatan. I don't think worse of people who don't follow football - but I can't stand people who proclaim to be a 'fan' of a team but in reality don't ever go to a game, know sod all about the team, and just feel that they ought to pick a side. Cameron's sham 'support' of Villa, or Miliband's of Doncaster underline to me the sort of people they are - ie, shallow, and will say anything to curry favour with the public (regardless of whether or not it's true).
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

Kairdiff Exile wrote:
Snake wrote:Interesting. Wonder who Nick Clegg 'supports', United or Wednesday. And Farage?... Has the PM ever been spotted at an Oxford or Witney game?
The irony is, politicians are far better off to just say "sorry, I don't really follow football" than to feign an interest in a team and be exposed as a charlatan. I don't think worse of people who don't follow football - but I can't stand people who proclaim to be a 'fan' of a team but in reality don't ever go to a game, know sod all about the team, and just feel that they ought to pick a side. Cameron's sham 'support' of Villa, or Miliband's of Doncaster underline to me the sort of people they are - ie, shallow, and will say anything to curry favour with the public (regardless of whether or not it's true).
I've heard Cameron's a big fan of pasties and Milliband's got a soft spot for bacon sandwiches. Salt of the earth.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

tomoufc wrote:
Kairdiff Exile wrote:
I've heard Cameron's a big fan of pasties and Milliband's got a soft spot for bacon sandwiches. Salt of the earth.
Farage likes real ale. Cameron wouldn’t accept my offer of a Silk Cut cigarette when we were both waiting outside Bampton Village Hall for someone who didn’t turn up for a constituency surgery slot before mine as he preferred his own brand, so I took no offence. When we’d both finished our smokes he said I may as well come in, so I had an extra ten minutes.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

Snake wrote: Farage likes real ale. Cameron wouldn’t accept my offer of a Silk Cut cigarette when we were both waiting outside Bampton Village Hall for someone who didn’t turn up for a constituency surgery slot before mine as he preferred his own brand, so I took no offence. When we’d both finished our smokes he said I may as well come in, so I had an extra ten minutes.
One would have thought that might have been an opportunity for you to ask him about whether he's a Us fan, rather than endlessly speculating about it on here.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

tomoufc wrote:
Snake wrote: Farage likes real ale. Cameron wouldn’t accept my offer of a Silk Cut cigarette when we were both waiting outside Bampton Village Hall for someone who didn’t turn up for a constituency surgery slot before mine as he preferred his own brand, so I took no offence. When we’d both finished our smokes he said I may as well come in, so I had an extra ten minutes.
One would have thought that might have been an opportunity for you to ask him about whether he's a Us fan, rather than endlessly speculating about it on here.
I did ask, but he wasn’t all that interested. The only result I got was that he sent an advisor to meet with me and Trevor Lambert and one other member of OxVox at the hotel next to Oxford Train Station. We did a pitch on that night for OUFC, but got nothing back. Maybe I should have tried a bit harder in my 1-2-1 with him, but as my slot was nothing to do with football I only sneaked Oxford United in at the end given we had some time to spare.
Eric Pollard
Brat

Post by Eric Pollard »

Could have been worse . You could have given him 10 minutes on one of your other teams instead . ;)
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Interesting article on Britain's green belt, including talks about the fields off Grenoble Road
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... green-belt