Tinkerman

Anything yellow and blue
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Tinkerman

Post by ty cobb »

Brahma Bull wrote:I never said I was happy or easily pleased but I will dispute claims such as "Since GW arrived there hasn't been a single indicator of better days ahead".

He took over a side which was on an awful run, had a captain who had lost his head, a side lacking of any confidence, had our best player missing through injury that he picked up at Chesterfield. He has released several players who had done nothing to deserve a place in the side or the silly wages they were probably picking up.

If people want to dismiss a few of the bright spots that have happened since Lewis was relieved then I can't help that. If a player tells some random fan (whilst they were under the influence at a social evening) that in his opinion Waddock's coaching is exceptional in comparison to what he has been used too then I have no reason to dis-believe him. If releasing Smalley and Rigg isn't somehow an indicator of better days ahead then I'd suggest others are easily pleased.
You're starting to sound like an apologist for the current regime. Lewis actually achieved a far better set of results than Waddock did including winning the last game in charge which was some feat given all the factors you have mentioned.

He effectivly released Beano by offering a one year deal, does he fall into your statement that he had done nothing to deserve a place in the side? And I think Rigg is a good player, one of our better ones who has been injured a lot this year.

I prefer to look at results on the pitch rather than subjective things and you don't get much more subjective than a pissed up player speaking to a random fan, and since Waddock has taken over he has been an absolute disaster whichever way you look at it. Good managers uusally have an immediate impact on the team, poor managers don't so he has an awful lot of work to do already to turn this around.

He has started off this new regime by letting our two top scorers go while not signing any players while other clubs get their buisness done early. It feels like the club are in freefall at the moment. The "minimum" last year seemed to be automatic promotion for Wilder, and even the possibility of that didn't satisfy some, what are you expecting BB from Waddock as a minimum, automatic/play offs/mid-table/above the relegation zone?

If not the first two won't we have gone backwards as a football club? Me, on the evidence so far we'll do well to get to mid-table,
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Brahma Bull wrote:Then he had other issues he and the club had to deal with which may have impacted on his non-selection.
Would you care to elaborate on this?
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Post by Brahma Bull »

ty cobb wrote:
You're starting to sound like an apologist for the current regime. Lewis actually achieved a far better set of results than Waddock did including winning the last game in charge which was some feat given all the factors you have mentioned.

He effectivly released Beano by offering a one year deal, does he fall into your statement that he had done nothing to deserve a place in the side? And I think Rigg is a good player, one of our better ones who has been injured a lot this year.

I prefer to look at results on the pitch rather than subjective things and you don't get much more subjective than a pissed up player speaking to a random fan, and since Waddock has taken over he has been an absolute disaster whichever way you look at it. Good managers uusally have an immediate impact on the team, poor managers don't so he has an awful lot of work to do already to turn this around.

He has started off this new regime by letting our two top scorers go while not signing any players while other clubs get their buisness done early. It feels like the club are in freefall at the moment. The "minimum" last year seemed to be automatic promotion for Wilder, and even the possibility of that didn't satisfy some, what are you expecting BB from Waddock as a minimum, automatic/play offs/mid-table/above the relegation zone?

If not the first two won't we have gone backwards as a football club? Me, on the evidence so far we'll do well to get to mid-table,
I have never mentioned Constable, Ty. I certainly didn't say the player I made reference too was 'pissed up' either. I have neither defended the appalling run of results. I merely pointed out that we had seen some (even one) indicators of better days ahead.

As you know little of me or my personal views on the "current" situation at the club, please don't suggest I am apologising for anyone in the current regime.

As for what I expect, I expect our football club next season to have a real battle on their hands to be challenging and you may wish to lay the blame solely at the 'Head Coach's' door but sometimes other factors contribute.

Some have clearly decided on Waddock, that's their prerogative.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Normally what the club are aiming for and what we as fans should expect, are not materially different.

Next season though, the club should be aiming for automatic promotion to avoid taking a backwards step, but the effects of GW and IL so far, lead me to have very real concerns that we will actually be fighting relegation.

Best players gone, weakest players re-signed, a smaller playing budget with too much pressure on younger inexperienced talent, and a manager with a record that would be sackable at any level, dwindling crowds and a terrible home record. Next season will be a strain even for the diehards.
Eric Pollard
Brat

Post by Eric Pollard »

Can't we at least wait till we see what the 14/15 squad is looking like before travelling due south in a handcart?

We've been unbeaten for almost a month now and that's good enough for me ;]
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Pissed up/under the influence whatever.

So what other factors are at play here to suggest GW is not going to be at fault if we struggle to be challenging?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Eric Pollard wrote:Can't we at least wait till we see what the 14/15 squad is looking like before travelling due south in a handcart?

We've been unbeaten for almost a month now and that's good enough for me ;]
I think you'll find the squad is almost complete as it is Tim. Might get 2 or 3 additions, but expect to see a lot of youth next season.
Eric Pollard
Brat

Post by Eric Pollard »

I reckon there will be quite a few additions. Let's not get too doomstruck yet old chap.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Well I think we need forwards and midfield! Marsh won't scare many defences
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Eric Pollard wrote:I reckon there will be quite a few additions. Let's not get too doomstruck yet old chap.
We need 3 top level strikers, 2 creative midfielders, 3 wide midfielders, and 2 full backs, not to mention a temporary decent keeper. And on a reduced budget. Hmmm. You do the maths.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Total sales are already higher than on renewal deadline day last year” and “The phones have not stopped ringing as fans look to renew their seats for 2014/15 at the renewal rate”.

Just goes to demonstrate that either some people on this board are seriously off-message or the article is bullshit.

http://www.oufc.co.uk/news/article/0002 ... 93426.aspx
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

I phoned to renew mine (but not Hoglette's) on the original deadline day of Monday at about 10:30 expecting a bit of a queue but got straight through!
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

In response to Snake, could be a bit of each. The claim 'total sales are ..... last year' looks too precise to be fabricated, but the devil may be in the detail. Sales = money, so there is the higher cost of each ticket to consider. When was renewal deadline day last year? Etc.

On the other hand, message boarders are probably not typical. Listening to RadOx, I am surprised by the breadth of comments from 'around the ground' - folk see things differently.

What seems sad is if fans appear to be in a kind of staring contest with Lenagan: we'll buy the tickets if you buy the team - no, you buy the tickets, then I'll buy the team. You can see the logic, but it's easy for everyone to lose.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

GodalmingYellow wrote:We need 3 top level strikers, 2 creative midfielders, 3 wide midfielders, and 2 full backs, not to mention a temporary decent keeper. And on a reduced budget. Hmmm. You do the maths.
I think we'll probably be ok on the full backs - they don't set the world alight but were solid enough for a lot of last season. Bevans as back-up too. But we certainly need at least 2 new strikers, replacements for Rigg and Williams, and a couple more central midfielders.

The goalie thing is interesting. I get the feeling they'll give Crocombe (who's meant to be promising) a go until Clarke is fit. I'd be happy enough with that rather than playing a loanee. We probably need another back-up keeper though.
Eric Pollard
Brat

Post by Eric Pollard »

GodalmingYellow wrote:
Eric Pollard wrote:I reckon there will be quite a few additions. Let's not get too doomstruck yet old chap.
We need 3 top level strikers, 2 creative midfielders, 3 wide midfielders, and 2 full backs, not to mention a temporary decent keeper. And on a reduced budget. Hmmm. You do the maths.

Don't think we need as many new players as this. I'd go for 8 new players. (3 strikers, 2 midfielders, 2 wingers, 1 full back.)

Gone - 'permanent' staff members Rigg, Beano, Smalley, Davies, Lynn.
Gone - loanees - we will have been paying some or all of wages - Wroe, Williams, Connolly.

I count 8, have I missed anyone?

There's scope in the budget to put together a decent squad. Let's wait and see.

ps how the hell do Accy/D and R/Morecambe manage? We are much better resourced than them.