Playoffs

Anything yellow and blue
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re: Playoffs

Post by Snake »

Dartford Ox wrote:The question appears to be getting blurred - are we talking play-offs or Wembley?

Walsall (from memory) have appeared in one, and only one play-off, but that was played at the Millenium stadium.
We ought to include the Millennium I think.

Just checked, and Accrington Stanley have never been.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Glad to see Cambridge win today. Could be a fun awayday, with good shopping and art for the missus.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Glad to see Cambridge win today. Could be a fun awayday, with good shopping and art for the missus.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Werthers Original wrote:Glad to see Cambridge win today. Could be a fun awayday, with good shopping and art for the missus.
So good, you said it thrice.

Glad to see them back too - they deserve it, given how far ahead of the chasing pack they finished, and for having given Luton a decent run for their money.

It also will allow lazy commentators and journalists to reach for an easy cliche when Oxford play Cambridge next season, by using the university hook for their report ("Oxford took the first-class honours in this tie, leaving Cambridge with the (light) blues" etc etc). I'll always remember my first year at university in Cardiff, when Oxford were playing Cambridge and the game was previewed in one of the national newspapers, despite being an unremarkable lower-league game between two mid-table teams. Two of my housemates assumed the match must have been a big local derby. Worryingly, one of them was reading geography.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Well that's good news for me, so that's one potential away game I'll go to. Although knowing my luck it'll get scheduled when I'm out of the country or three line whipped to be somewhere else ... You wouldn't have noticed there was a Wembley final with the local team playing in Cambridge this morning ... admittedly I was only cycling through, but I think I saw a grand total of two cars with scarves hanging from the windows and a small gaggle of kids heading towards the station.

Can't say that the club in the older University's city is doing much to encourage me to home games. Been a deafening silence on renewing season ticket (surely I should have had some paperwork?) not that a mere form would be enough to get me to renew.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Ancient Colin wrote:Well that's good news for me, so that's one potential away game I'll go to. Although knowing my luck it'll get scheduled when I'm out of the country or three line whipped to be somewhere else ... You wouldn't have noticed there was a Wembley final with the local team playing in Cambridge this morning ... admittedly I was only cycling through, but I think I saw a grand total of two cars with scarves hanging from the windows and a small gaggle of kids heading towards the station.

Can't say that the club in the older University's city is doing much to encourage me to home games. Been a deafening silence on renewing season ticket (surely I should have had some paperwork?) not that a mere form would be enough to get me to renew.
I'm glad it is Cambridge rather than Gateshead too, just purely because of the distance to Gateshead.

Interestingly, I have not received any renewal notification notices either, although in fairness I did renew after the last home game (in spite of it not because of it). However, my daughter, who is 13, and who has not held a season ticket for some years, has received a letter inviting her to renew. Bizarrely the club tried to phone her a few seasons ago to get her to renew. Luckily they got hold of me instead. they should check the age of the fan before doing these things.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

GodalmingYellow wrote:Interestingly, I have not received any renewal notification notices either, although in fairness I did renew after the last home game (in spite of it not because of it). However, my daughter, who is 13, and who has not held a season ticket for some years, has received a letter inviting her to renew. Bizarrely the club tried to phone her a few seasons ago to get her to renew. Luckily they got hold of me instead. they should check the age of the fan before doing these things.
Oddly enough I received a letter this morning with an “offer” made through the club’s “re-united price band”. According to the letter if you’ve held a ST in the last four years you can renew at the same price as current renewals. Then it goes on about the “exciting times for Oxford United; a new head coach in Gary Waddock” and that “the investment made in pitch renovations which has paid dividends this year” plus a whole load of other reasons why I shouldn't turn this offer down. I kid you not...
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I received a similar letter through the post today, though without the same price offer, as I've not had an ST for ten years now.

In fact , there was nothing on the letter or accompanying application or finance forms AT ALL to indicate how much this season ticket would cost that they were trying to sell me! I assume there should have been a flyer with this and other salient information (such as explaining that the Yellows area is what was previously called the East Stand). Quite a major omission really!
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Kernow Yellow wrote:I received a similar letter through the post today, though without the same price offer, as I've not had an ST for ten years now.

In fact , there was nothing on the letter or accompanying application or finance forms AT ALL to indicate how much this season ticket would cost that they were trying to sell me! I assume there should have been a flyer with this and other salient information (such as explaining that the Yellows area is what was previously called the East Stand). Quite a major omission really!
Same for me, but I have bought 20+ years worth or so since I relapsed. A link here - http://www.oufc.co.uk/documents/season- ... 494341.pdf

Eagle eyed readers will notice the “Exclusive Price For Renewals” early on in the flyer. Then a bit later on when you see the prices they are quoted as “Renewals/Reunite” and you will notice they differ from the Early Bird cost for a reason which I don’t understand. Why does someone who buys an Early Bird ticket have to pay more than me and what exactly are the qualifying criteria for getting the "Reunited" rate?
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

So, I just got an email today from the club which starts " Hopefully, you will now have received your renewal letter". Which I haven't. And it gives me until 2nd June to renew at "my renewal price" (no information about other locations etc.) but says it will reserve my seat until 1st July (by implication at a higher, but unspecified price). Well, I am just about to head off out of the country on a trip, still not remotely convinced why I should renew and ... well that doesn't help at all.