Matchday pub/Priory survey

Anything yellow and blue
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Matchday pub/Priory survey

Post by Matt D »

A number of OxVox members have raised the issue of the Priory's absence last season, and its effect on their enjoyment of home matchdays. OxVox members will have just had thissurvey sent to them. It aims to explore what they think about the issue, but we are keen to have an understanding of the importance of this issue to as broad a group of United supporters as possible. We'd therefore be grateful if you can spare five minutes or so to do this survey here:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PRZFDC3

Cheers,

Matt.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Re: Matchday pub/Priory survey

Post by Old Abingdonian »

Matt:
Is it true that Kassam owns The Priory (as per intro. to the survey)? I thought Oxfordshire CC or Oxford City Council owned it, and Kassam has it on a long lease (so that he is then able to lease it out in turn).
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

I filled it in, suggesting that if the pub building itself would be too expensive to run on a day to day basis, then perhaps we could bring back what I thought was the best part of it during matchdays - the marquee and outside area that served food and real ale out of barrels? For those that have been to Plymouth isn't that something they do there, with live music etc? Is there any reason we couldn't do it?
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

Old Abingdonian wrote:Matt:
Is it true that Kassam owns The Priory (as per intro. to the survey)? I thought Oxfordshire CC or Oxford City Council owned it, and Kassam has it on a long lease (so that he is then able to lease it out in turn).
No, you're quite right Old Abingdonian. Thanks for pointing out the mistake, I've corrected it.

Cheers,

Matt
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

tomoufc wrote:I filled it in, suggesting that if the pub building itself would be too expensive to run on a day to day basis, then perhaps we could bring back what I thought was the best part of it during matchdays - the marquee and outside area that served food and real ale out of barrels? For those that have been to Plymouth isn't that something they do there, with live music etc? Is there any reason we couldn't do it?
Hi Tom - presumably this would be tied up with terms of use of land around the stadium, and having someone willing to organise/run this.

Thanks for the suggestion though, we will be looking through all these and considering what's feasible to pursue.

Cheers,

Matt
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Tim couldn't make it work, despite an immense amount of goodwill on match days, I don't know if many of the people helping out were actually paid.

The marquee was only ever on a temporary planning permission which was rejected to continue for either last season or the coming season.

So you are left with an uneconomic pub to run, lots of repair work was needed even when it was going, no real passing trade during the week, no outside cover for rainy days, and that it is a listed building makes it difficult to do anything to make any significant alterations.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Tim (allegedly) couldn't make it work on the lease Kassam was charging. But currently it's making zero money for Firoka, so presumably there's scope to negotiate the lease on the basis of it having limited non-matchday appeal.

I agree that the marquee is critical to the pub's success on matchdays. The council officer who refused the continuation of the license for the marquee on the grounds that it was 'out of keeping' with the surrounding area needs a good talking to frankly. The council have gone on record saying they want the pub to re-open, and the area round there is a complete tip at present. The council would certainly need to be involved whoever took it on. With the possibility of even more new houses in the area and more hotel capacity at the stadium there's reasonable potential demand for a decent pub there anyway.