Possible league reform

Anything yellow and blue
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Re: Possible league reform

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

The OXman Cometh wrote:Danny Mills; "I'm sure the supporters of Hartlepool would much rather watch Hartlepool play a Man Utd B team than Torquay"
Did he really say that? What a berk. Like most pundits, I doubt he's ever paid to watch a game using his own money - certainly not at lower league level.

Maybe that'd be a good Dyke reform? All people involved in the administration of the game or in football journalism must pay from their own pocket to sit/stand with normal supporters at a non-league game, at least once a season.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

Agree with everything on here - I just wish the commission and the sycophantic journalists could read these posts: everyone has put it so aptly.

The problem is (as with so many other things), it's 'follow the money'. If the national side is humiliated, shock horror, the takings for Chelsea replica shirts might go down, and that's serious. So therefore we trot out all the clichés about 1966 etc. and do whatever we can to promote young talent - within a mindset totally dominated by the Premiership, or probably, by the top six / seven clubs = London, Manchester, Liverpool. These clubs already have the profile, the scouting network and the money (to pay expenses, you understand) to attract the best kids in the country, and are now allowed to nick youngsters for virtually nothing if someone else finds them. So, we are these clubs not delivering already?

And, just imagine your team is second in this new league (Competition - find a name for it!), and, in order to win promotion, you need to win at, for the sake of argument Chelsea B. Chelsea have no intrinsic loyalty to the league, and - despite the various 'rules' being banded about - could decide to put out a team of virtually any strength.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Doesn't sound like Dyke has all his Premiership buddies on side ...

http://www.basingstokegazette.co.uk/spo ... ns/?ref=mr

This from the Conference ...

http://nonleague.pitchero.com/news/conf ... sal-30991/
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

I think when the premier non-league competition issues a statement saying that they were not consulted by the FA Commission, it shows the plan up for what it is - something to appease the Premier League big boys.

http://www.footballconference.co.uk/new ... s_id=12411

For what it's worth, whilst there is an issue around the number of English players in our top league, I believe that the England team actually suffers more from the lack of talent which goes to play in overseas leagues.

The 1990 World Cup squad had Platt, Gasgoigne, Waddle, Lineker, Beardsley, Walker, and Steven who had (or very soon would) played overseas. Plus three others playing in Scotland. And Tony Dorgio who went to Torino about 3 years after his last cap.

Out of the current squad, I can only think of Defoe who has sampled football elsewhere and our players are simply uneducated in how the game is played in/by other nations.
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

I can see us developing a real rivalry with Stoke B. With their fiesty fan base and travelling support, it'll be a cracking atmosphere. Just what's required, eh.

Joking aside, the proposals are beyond preposterous.Utter contempt for the spirit of the sport in our country. As stated by others, should this come in to force, which surely it can't / wont, then I'm out ...

If we were out of the EU, would that give an option to restrict the number of foreign players / work permits and hence solve the problem? Would Chelsea, Man City etc be forced to develop and progress young English players, as opposed to buying in those already developed elsewhere? Or, must the global premier league brand be protected at all costs?

As we all know, the shite England team is a consequence of Premier league short team immoral greed, combined with a lack of trained coaches at all levels. It's of little value looking elsewhere in an attempt to solve the problem. Dyke and his crew should be ashamed.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

neilw wrote:I can see us developing a real rivalry with Stoke B. With their fiesty fan base and travelling support, it'll be a cracking atmosphere.
Ha, good post. That, in a nutshell, is why it's a shit idea and a million times worse than a proper competitive league with proper clubs with proper supporters.
neilw wrote:If we were out of the EU, would that give an option to restrict the number of foreign players / work permits and hence solve the problem?
You are Nigel Farage, and I claim my £5.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Even the Premiershit are now deriding the idea.

Did Dyke consult anyone before announcing his plans?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27340856
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Radley Rambler wrote:RR likes this:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/spo ... 4050986422
Yes, in some ways that’s funny but the thing is, if the money dangled from above is a big enough carrot I can see some short-term thinking owners of lower league clubs not dismissing it out of hand given what the Prem pay in transfer fees alone - http://www.themag.co.uk/assets/Newcastl ... _years.png

At the moment the bribe/opening offer is about £35m a year to share from the pot for the long term victims of this proposal, but that could easily double in the next few months and the issue will rumble on during the World Cup when the focus/heat is really turned on the FA and Dyke.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

A decent interview yesterday with Luton CEO Gary Sweet around 1hr 41 minutes in
on the proposals:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b042lgzl
Out of the gloom
Puberty

Post by Out of the gloom »

Agree with Eric Pollard that the B team league is a "stalking horse", most likely to make the Strategic Loan Partnerships (SLP) seem less bad.

Player development would be improved by loaning several players back and forth with exchange of support staff and facilities. There are potential benefits for both clubs and they would be better than the piecemeal approach that is the norm under the present loan system. Indeed, to get maximum benefit, the next step could be to remove the cap on number of players loaned in a season (different to cap in matchday squad) between clubs with an SLP. All U21 players at both clubs would effectively be dual registered for the length of the partnership.

However, the proposal on ownership is too great a concern. We, for example, would eventually cease to be Oxford but Reading B in all but name. Affiliate/farm/feeder clubs might work in US sports where there is no FA Cup or promotion/relegation. Securing, and retaining, a partnership would be the dominant objective of many lower league clubs - hiring a manager with strong connections with the parent, or perspective parent, club for example. Those clubs without a parent would be at a disadvantage against the clubs that do.

I can foresee a parent club owned by the father and "feeder" by the son ;)
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Ah, thirty years ahead of the curve... That's our problem!!
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

I really like Michael Owen's plan for the 'draft' of PL loanees. Surely up there with the top ten sentences you thought you'd never utter?
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

SmileyMan wrote:I really like Michael Owen's plan for the 'draft' of PL loanees. Surely up there with the top ten sentences you thought you'd never utter?
even more strange that you are the third person on here to actually credit him with having a good idea.....
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Snake wrote:Nonsense on stilts. If that’s the best Greg Dyke can come up with then I reckon the biggest problem the English FA have is that’s he’s in charge of it.
And now Scudamore.

It makes Brian Lee look half-sensible.