Contracts

Anything yellow and blue
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Re: Contracts

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

Yes I'd hope we keep the youngsters who have played in the first team this season - Bevans and Long. I haven't seen anything of the others (Lee, Shama etc) to know if they merit retaining
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Well if that side yesterday were "playing for their careers" I think one or two may be a little disappointed!

The rage on Waddock's face during his post match interview on the FL Show was the best thing about yesterday ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 6_04_2014/

I thought his head was going to explode!

(If the link doesn't go straight to the Oxford game then go to 1:08:00 to suffer the lowlights before the interview)
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Hog wrote:Well if that side yesterday were "playing for their careers" I think one or two may be a little disappointed!

The rage on Waddock's face during his post match interview on the FL Show was the best thing about yesterday ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 6_04_2014/

I thought his head was going to explode!

(If the link doesn't go straight to the Oxford game then go to 1:08:00 to suffer the lowlights before the interview)
At least the manager appears to give a damn about the club. I know he's had a crap run of games, but I think we've got to give him the chance to go out and make some changes to the squad before we write him off.

Most of Hog's list I am close enough for jazz, but on the youngsters I've got to say that Ruffels looked the business against Championshop Charlton, and Bevans looks great going forward but is hopeless at his defensive positioning - still young enough to retrain as a midfielder/winger? O'Dowda doesn't seem to be quite sharp enough for League Two - a striker that young should be darting behind defenders, not getting surrounded and then muscled off the ball.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Hog wrote:The rage on Waddock's face during his post match interview on the FL Show was the best thing about yesterday ...
He looks angry and frustrated. Just how I feel, except I'm not being well-paid to make it otherwise.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

http://www.oufc.co.uk/news/article/0006 ... 38623.aspx

Develeopment squad announcements made:
New offers to BEvans, Long, Shama & Hawtin, while Lynn and Lee are released.

For info, Hawtin is a right winger, in the same age group as Long, Lynn & O'dowda, who was given an extended scholarship this season, as he lost the previous one through injury. However, he soon became a regular fixture in teh Dev side, and didnt play for the youths after October, so basically became seen as a dev player, hence why his future was announced today rather than with the scholars last week.
I would imagine that we will see one or more external players added to the Dev squad for the coming season, and will add their details when I have them.

I've updated teh squad list at the top
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

For completeness:
Rigg, Smalley & Davies released today
Wright club option taken up
Raynes extension after clocking up a certain number of appearances
Beano offered new deal (no details yet)
Newey to have talks with Waddock tomorrow
No news yet about players being put on transfer list
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Today has seen the offer of a New(ey) contract. Not sure I would have made the same call if I was in Waddock's shoes - but it may be reduced terms as a backup etc etc.

I wonder when we'll see the first of the new arrivals? July, probably, if previous years are anything by which to go...
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Maybe the mythical 'Jon Meades' will be first choice left back?
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

Kairdiff Exile wrote:I wonder when we'll see the first of the new arrivals? July, probably, if previous years are anything by which to go...
Last season: 13th June http://www.oufc.co.uk/news/article/0013 ... 62028.aspx
2 years ago: 22 May http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18160426
I'm sure I have memories from the recent past of earlier signings than that also, Purkiss in the week after the play off final springs to mind.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

It's not seeming like much of a clear-out then. Rigg, Davies and Smalley are all pretty much fringe players now, so no surprise to see them released. WIlliams is the big loss.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Jimski wrote:It's not seeming like much of a clear-out then. Rigg, Davies and Smalley are all pretty much fringe players now, so no surprise to see them released. WIlliams is the big loss.
True but that was outside of Waddock's control given Williams' desire to play at a higher level
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Doesn't sound to me that it was actually Waddock's decision to offer Beano or a new deal! And it makes you wonder what the deal actually is!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27341054
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Yeah, slightly odd comments from Waddock there.
STEVE F
Brat

Post by STEVE F »

A COMPLETE DISGRACE , POTTER WRIGHT AND CONSTABLE ARE BEING GIVEN ANOTHER YEAR TO SHOW FANS JUST HOW USELESS THEY ARE A WASTE OF THREE CONTRACTS, GET RID OF THEM GW IT WILL BE THE FINEST THING YOU WILL EVER DO FOR OXFORD UNITED .
I WOULD CALL THE THREE OF THEM USELESS BUT TO CALL THESE THREE SO CALLED PLAYERS USELESS WOULD BE TO PRAISE THEM UP .
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Hog wrote:Doesn't sound to me that it was actually Waddock's decision to offer Beano or a new deal! And it makes you wonder what the deal actually is!
You will never know as by now Mick Brown probably has a shredder where all the pre-contract hand written discussion notes are disposed of. Them olden days of waste paper baskets were much more revealing :lol: