Squad 2014/2015

Anything yellow and blue
SWA
Puberty

Squad 2014/2015

Post by SWA »

Wright and Constable offered new deals.
RIgg, Smalley and Davies all told to leave.
Newey meeting with the gaffer tomorrow
Williams, Wroe and Connolly to return to parent clubs....
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Re: Squad 2014/2015

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

Sounds about right. Wouldn't mind Newey staying as number 2 left back, if cheap.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

I'd keep Connolly if we could, esp. if Kitson retires.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Wright and Beano offered new deals. The report does not say they have agreed new deals. I hope the club has done the sensible thing and not tried to offer reduced terms.

No thanks re Newey. Not good enough. Not nearly good enough.

I note that no player in contract has been told to leave, which is quite right from a finance point of view, but Waddock needs to make it clear that only those who preform will get 1st team game time and only those getting 1st team game time can get extended deals in the future (exception for dev squad).

Kitson all but said after Saturday's game, that he will continue to play next season.

Wayne Brown position is right too.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

I would not keep Tom Newey.

Having watched many Conference games, on TV admittedly,
I would try and sign Grimsby's OOC left back Aswad Thomas.
Aggressive, athletic and pacey and may want to come south.
He's a good age at 25 this year.

(I see Slumdon have released left back Jay McEveley who is decent but 29 years old)

http://www.thenonleaguefootballpaper.co ... arrogance/
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

As far as I understand it Wright doesn't have to agree a new deal, the club have simply exercised their right to take up the extra year. Beano, of course, has to agree but given all the positive noises he was coming out with during the season it would be a surprise if he didn't (unless he has been offered half his salary or something)
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

The Stoke Sentinel reckons we are linked with Kaid Mohamed of Port Vale.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

JoeyBeauchamp wrote:As far as I understand it Wright doesn't have to agree a new deal, the club have simply exercised their right to take up the extra year. Beano, of course, has to agree but given all the positive noises he was coming out with during the season it would be a surprise if he didn't (unless he has been offered half his salary or something)
Yes, we've just extended Wright's deal by another year as per the terms of his existing contract, haven't we?

Newey and Constable, on the other hand, have been offered new deals as their previous ones had expired. Given that they don't seem to have signed on yet, I am guessing they the contracts currently on the table are for less than what they were getting before.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

I would imagine so.

Early days, I know, but I'm interested that Waddock has offered deals to these two. It would be tempting to 'clear out' everyone he has the opportunity to do, as this plays to the gallery, and implies that the collapse at the end of the season was all the players' fault.

The more players GW retains, the more he implies that he can make a difference through coaching, tactics, motivation - or through solving one or two key aspects of our play. For example, a creative midfielder and a sharp finisher would, imho, make a lot of difference.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Old Abingdonian wrote:The more players GW retains, the more he implies that he can make a difference through coaching, tactics, motivation
Yep, because that's gone really well so far :shock:
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Kernow Yellow wrote:
Old Abingdonian wrote:The more players GW retains, the more he implies that he can make a difference through coaching, tactics, motivation
Yep, because that's gone really well so far :shock:
Well, there might have been one or two naysayers in the dressing room who were upset at Wilder's departure and clearing them out might freshen up the atmosphere. Pure speculation of course, but in any line of work it only takes one or two persistent whingers to really foul the mood.

Personally, I'd have let Constable go - his finishing in the second half of this season has been awful, and I have a nagging suspicion that it's because he's just lost a little bit of zip and defenders and keepers can read him too well.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

slappy wrote:The Stoke Sentinel reckons we are linked with Kaid Mohamed of Port Vale.
Used to play for Cheltenham, seen him play against Us a few times, always rated him, pacy, strong winger.