Money still owed by Pompey to former players

Anything yellow and blue
Roo
Mid-life Crisis

Money still owed by Pompey to former players

Post by Roo »

I had know idea that the outstanding sums had been defered rather than cancelled when the trust took over. This look like one huge albatross around their necks for the forseable future!

http://forum.followfollow.com/showthread.php?t=974065
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re: Money still owed by Pompey to former players

Post by Mooro »

Many famous names, most of whom probably don't 'need' that money, but what do they do (particularly now that this information is in the public arena)?

Do they
i) take it, as after all they were promised it and so should have that right and be able to put it towards their time after football when income is not so forthcoming...
ii) opt not to take it, leaving it to the new Pompey board to use to rebuild the club - but Pompey are a League 2 club who will still get about £5m from the parachute payments that are funding these payments, and which none of the other 23 will get, so do they really need those wages forfeited?
iii) opt not to take it, and instead allow it to go to the local small creditors who got next to nowt as they were 'non-football creditors' in the CVA - in an ideal world maybe...(but would the list of non-football creditors and the amounts owed be openly available, and would there be any legal issues in terms of monies being spread proportionally amongst creditors?)
iv) (particularly relevant to those now at other League 2 clubs) - take it, then offer to forfeit/only take a %age of their current deal to allow their current club to sign extra players
v) donate it to the Kettering Town fighting fund (at final appeal stage after being wound up for the sake of £58k) or any of the other clubs on the brink at the moment
vi) donate it to some other worthy cause....

In an ideal world, I'd like to say that if it were me I'd choose (iii) or (v) or (vi) , but in practice who knows, and more to the point who are we to question what they do with it, as after all there are far more offensive numbers being paid every week to players/agents etc who are not put in this position....
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Shocking sums there.

You'd think we barely need to pay Kitson anything given what he's still getting from Pompey. (Not that I blame footballers for trousering the massive wages offered to them by the way.)

Oh, and The Secret Footballer has got a new edition of his book out too...
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Kernow Yellow wrote:Shocking sums there.

You'd think we barely need to pay Kitson anything given what he's still getting from Pompey. (Not that I blame footballers for trousering the massive wages offered to them by the way.)

Oh, and The Secret Footballer has got a new edition of his book out too...
Are the wages offered by clubs, or demanded by players via their agents?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

GodalmingYellow wrote:Are the wages offered by clubs, or demanded by players via their agents?
Fair point. But whichever, I don't blame the players for taking them. It's not Dave Kitson's fault (or Tal Ben Haim's) that Pompey racked up millions of pounds worth of debt. What doesn't seem fair, though, as Mooro points out, is that their 'debts' are prioritised above small local businesses who really need the money to stay solvent.