Managerial Merry-go-round

Anything yellow and blue
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re: Managerial Merry-go-round

Post by Mooro »

Rumours are appearing that Micheal Appleton has been sacked by Blackburn - nothing official but local paper confirms unofficially (According to BBC). If so, who on earth is going to take that one on?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... kburn.html

Also, according to the Daily Telegraph, Wolves keeper Carl Ikeme has allegedly broken his hand in a half time row with Deano, about a first half own goal. If confirmed he will miss the rest of the season and the whole episode is unlikely to look good for Mr Saunders come sacking time....

The Daily Mail has Tony Pulis ready to quite at Stoke in the summer, due to fan pressure, while some papers are reporting that Nigel Pearson's departure may be very imminent at Leicester (with the hope of getting Nigel Adkins on board in time to save their playoff place)....
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Gary Smith sacked by St.Evenage. Wouldn't be surprised to see a Westley return here....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21859273
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote:Good summary Jon although I would place a small wager that there will be a few that you have not thought of who may find that the Chairman is not happy with the managers performance and therefore are fired.
Seems you were right, then, two more gone in two days.
Caretaker Gary Bowyer early favourite for Blackburn, as I would be surprised if anyone would touch them with a bargepole at the moment
Adkins evens for Reading, from Poyet (2-3), Parkinson and Dolan
Adkins also tops the list at Leeds, from PDC, Poyet, Coyle &amp Lambert - situation there might take another turn as owners GFH appear set to sell even though they only took over in December. Fans less upset about them doing that for a quick buck than you would think, mainly because they did at least remove Mr Bates!
McDermott 15/8 for the Republic job, but also high up the list at Leicester if Pearson goes, where I think he might do quite well.
Chris Coleman in danger if Wales lose to Scotland on Friday - Kenny Jackett favourite at the moment
Interesting list for Sheff Weds if Jones goes, with Coyle at the top, from Ince, Robinson, PDC and Paul Lambert!
No odds for Stevenage, though you would imagine that Westley will be a major candidate

Crazy times
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Make that three - Darije Kalezic - appointed at Conference side Stockport on 24th January, sacked today and replaced with Ian Bogie, sacked by Gateshead on 12 December......I make that 55 days, 12 fewer than Appleton!

Westley odds on for Stevenage, from Buckle &amp Waddock, other names Dowie, Peter Taylor, Tilson, Money &amp Efe Sodje....
Poyet now odds on for Reading, from Adkins and Laurent Blanc!
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Long serving Carlisle United Manager Greg Abbott - a former team mate of Chris Wilder
whilst they were at Bradford City in 1998 - says he will not walk away from the Cumbrians
as contract talks are put on hold:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21828465
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

Southend part company with Paul Sturrock just a fortnight before the JPT final at Wembley.

*EDIT*

And in what I see as quite an unusual statement Southend chairman Ron Martin announces Sturrock will manage the team at Wembley: http://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/ar ... l#anchored
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Just beat me to it - now would he float the boat replacing Wilder?

Club statement:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ds-newsxml
Last edited by Mooro on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

The game has gone MAD.

EDIT:

Phil Brown to get the job at Roots Hall ?
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:The game has gone MAD.

EDIT:

Phil Brown to get the job at Roots Hall ?
Could Be.....

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/so ... 75868.html
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

Brown's record is apparently pretty weak, all in all. I'm not sure this is a good appointment for the Shrimpers....
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

From Wikipedia:
Phil Brown career stats:

Bolton (caretaker) 1999 - 2 wins in 5
Derby June05-Jan06 - 5 wins in 33 (15% WR)
Hull Dec06-Mar10 - 52 wins in 157 (33% WR) - won Championship PO 2008
Preston Jan11-Dec11 - 15 wins in 51 (29% WR) - relegated 2011

Overall 74 wins from 246 games (30% WR)
So not great!

Sturrock in contrast:

St Johnstone Aug93-Sep 98 - 90 wins in 197 (46%)
Dundee Urd Sep98-Aug00 - 27 wins in 85 (32%)
Plymouth Oct00-Mar04 - 85 wins in 178 (48%) - D3 promotion
Southampton Mar04-Aug04 - 5 wins in 13 (38%)
Sheff Weds Sep04-Oct06 - 35 wins in 104 (34%) - L1 PO winners
Slumdon Nov06-Nov07 - 26 wins in 52 (50%) - L2 promotion
Plymouth Nov07-Dec09 - 28 wins in 99 (28%)
Southend Jul10-Mar13 - 67 wins in 161 (42%)

Overall 363 wins in 889 games (41%)

and Wilder:
Alfreton 01-02 - 40 wins in 48 (83%)
Halifax Jul02-Jun08 - 120 wins in 312 (38%)
Oxford Dec08-present - 104 wins in 230 (45%)

Overall 264 wins in 590 games (45% - 41% excl Alfreton)
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:Just beat me to it - now would he float the boat replacing Wilder?
Luggy was fairly high profile during my time in Scotland (1998-2004) and during that time was thought of as a fairly dour and miserable persona who did a reasonable enough job with naff teams but was never in danger of being offered a top job - and so it later transpired.

To my mind it would not be an exciting appointment nor a step forward for the club were we to appoint him, and there are multiple other young and upwardly mobile managers I would rather see replace Wilder if/when a change is made (e.g. Derek McInnes, Appleton if he'd consider it).
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Post by Joey's Toe »

&quotjoepoolman&quot wrote:Southend part company with Paul Sturrock just a fortnight before the JPT final at Wembley.

*EDIT*

And in what I see as quite an unusual statement Southend chairman Ron Martin announces Sturrock will manage the team at Wembley: http://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/ar ... l#anchored
IMHO, their Chairman should be arrested immediately for excessive and unnecessary use of quotation marks in the statement:
I too will look forward to “our day out
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotJoey's Toe&quot wrote: IMHO, their Chairman should be arrested immediately for excessive and unnecessary use of quotation marks in the statement
Maybe he could ask for further offences against Capital Letters and apostophe's to be taken into consideration too.

They say there's no sentiment in football - there's certainly no grammar in the Southend United boardroom.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Been waiting all day to confirm this one:

http://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/ar ... 33189.aspx

and former Bristol City boss Derek McInnes also confirmed as new manager at Aberdeen replacing retiring Craig Brown