PLAY OFF PUSH

Anything yellow and blue
STEVE F
Brat

PLAY OFF PUSH

Post by STEVE F »

THE LATE PUSH BY UNITED TOWARDS A PLAYOFF PLACE IS GOOD TO SEE , HOWEVER I FOR ONE THINK THAT WITH THE PLAYERS MANAGER AND COACHING STAFF WE HAVE AT THE MOMENT THE LAST THING OXFORD NEED IS TO GO UP THIS SEASON , BETTER BY FAR TO WRITE THIS SEASON OFF , BRING IN A NEW MANAGER WITH HIS OWN COACHING STAFF AND LET HIM USE GAMES LEFT TO ACCESS PLAYERS AND BRING IN BETTER PLAYERS FOR NEXT SEASON AS REQUIRED .
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re: PLAY OFF PUSH

Post by Mooro »

Disagree - I think it would always be a folly to consider promotion a bad thing (except at the very low levels of non-league football, where the higher division may have a larger geographical footprint and where increased traveling costs may outweigh any increase in gate receipts and/or prize money and thus put the club into financial peril).
At our level however, we would have the summer to build or strengthen a squad for the purpose and a minimum requirement of finishing above four teams out of 24 (with quite possibly at least one starting on -10). If the manager or new squad weren't proving up to it, then will be the time to change and if you do go down again, you already have the basis of a stronger squad to challenge for promotion again.
Staying down, all you do is build another squad of League 2 standard players, and then go against up to a dozen others all of about the same standard to try to get into the top three. Even if you do manage to get the best squad and (if you so desire) acquire the best manager, it is still quite possible for something else to derail the club, even if just for a short time (injuries, suspensions, cup distractions, etc) meaning you don't reach the top three and have to take the lottery of the playoffs.

Sorry, I would always take promotion
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

UM, AREN'T 16 OF OUR PLAYERS OUT OF CONTRACT IN THE SUMMER ANYWAY (IT'S BEEN WELL COVERED ON HERE) SO WE CAN PICK AND CHOOSE WHICH OF THOSE WE WOULD TAKE WITH US?
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

I never get this 'better not to get promotion' idea.

OF COURSE it is best to get promotion. Crowds would go up significantly, we start playing some pretty big clubs, the budget wouold increase and heh many of the teams that have gone up from Leagie 2 actuaally do weel in League 1.

It is still very odds against that we go up, but I would be surprised if you could find many fans that don't want to go up.