Have I Got Old News For You

Anything yellow and blue
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re: Have I Got Old News For You

Post by slappy »

Not Oxford United related, but Ceri Evans remembers his earlier playing career in New Zealand, including playing against a 17 year old Paul Gascoigne in a pre-season tour.

Gascoigne famously exclaimed, when told there was no bacon for breakfast at the team's hotel, &quotwhat, all the sheep in this country and there's no bloody bacon?&quot
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:It's that time of year again, when newspapers and websites around the world celebrate the anniversary of Oxford United 2 - Manchester United 0.
The Guardian are first up.
The Guardian remember this game again when discussing Old Red Nose's birthday and eventual retirement.
In football all things are possible. Consider the situation the team were in when Ferguson was appointed in November 1986. After 13 matches in the old 22-club First Division, Newcastle were bottom and the three above them, lying 19th,20th and 21st respectively, were Manchester United, Chelsea and Manchester City. Forty-eight hours after he got the job United lost 2-0 at Oxford United to hardly anyone's great surprise.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Aston Villa remember previous League Cup semi-finals, including 1986.

Hopefully Bradford will tire themselves out in their tie against Villa tonight, leaving themselves ill prepared for the big game on Saturday.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Barrow AFC reporter Lee Procter moves on after nine years covering the club. &quotIndeed, it has often been when tagged as underdogs that Barrow have excelled ÔÇô the FA Cup wins over Brentford and Oxford United, both at a rocking Holker Street, spring to mind.&quot
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

The New Straits Times talks about Jon Walters two own goals for Stoke, and remembers Michael Duberry's imperfect hattrick against Hereford last season.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

The Daily Mail remembers the last time Aston Villa were relegated in 1987, when OUFC finished in 18th on 44 points (in a 22 team league). It says Charlton (19th) avoided relegation after defeating Second Division side Leeds in the play-off final.

Was this across all divisions, that the last place above the relegation spots played a team from the division below? So did Leeds for instance win play-off semifinals to face Charlton? How many years was this in place, before the current system came into play?
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_L ... _play-offs

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... on=gallery

Just two seasons - 1986/1987 and 1987/1988 but they were an exciting innovation at the time.

I remember the deciding Charlton vs Leeds final in 1987 which was played at St Andrews Birmingham
after the two legs did not produce a winner.

Fourth Division Aldershot played Third Division Bolton home and away in the Play-Off semi-final that season and then the final was two legged
with Aldershot winning 1-0 at Molineux after winning the first leg at the Rec 2-0.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Molineux??
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

As I (sadly) wasn't a proper football fan at the time, this has really intrigued me as to what happened under this old play-off system.
As posted before, Charlton finished fourth bottom of Division One, with Leicester City, Manchester City and Aston Villa all relegated.

1987 Division Two finished
Derby (promoted)
Portsmouth (promoted)
Oldham (play-off)
Leeds (play-off)
Ipswich (play-off)
The season finished Saturday May 9th.
Over two legged semi-final, Thursday 14th and Sunday 17th, Charlton beat Ipswich, and Leeds beat Oldham on away goals (after extra-time in the second leg).
Then on Saturday 23rd and Monday 25th, Charlton and Leeds faced each other in a two legged final, each winning the home tie 1-0.
and so on Friday 29th, a final replay saw Charlton win 2-1.

This left division one with 21 teams and division two with 23 teams 1987-88 (from 22 and 22), with 1988-89 moving onto 20 teams in the top division, and 24 in the next.

These days you can't imagine arranging two legged semi-finals, finals and replays all within days of the normal season end.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

The Plymouth Herald looks at Oxford - Plymouth links with the League Cup.
story here
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

The Daily Mirror talks goalkeeping howlers, including mention of Pat Jennings in the league cup vs OUFC.

Presumably they mean this game.
http&#58//www&#46rageonline&#46co&#46uk ... 800&#46000
There are three youtube links, but no idea which one or what time the howler is in.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:The Daily Mirror talks goalkeeping howlers, including mention of Pat Jennings in the league cup vs OUFC.

Presumably they mean this game.
http&#58//www&#46rageonline&#46co&#46uk ... 800&#46000
There are three youtube links, but no idea which one or what time the howler is in.
If it is of any help it was the Dave Langan goal, long range effort from the right wing. Jennings flapped at it with a rather limp wrist and it tamely fell into the back of the net.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Roy Barry (Pugsley), assistant manager to Ian Greaves, and caretaker manager February 1982, talks to The Scotsman about his career including his spell at Oxford United.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Cardiff City look forward to their Championship match against Barnsley, and remember matches of the past including Cliff Nugent, Headington United 1949-1951.

From the South Wales Echo :
April 09 (South Wales Echo) -- FLASHBACK Barnsley have visited Cardiff City 20 times. The first match between the teams was at Ninian Park in 1921 when City won 3- 2. The Bluebirds have won 12 of those clashes, drawn four and lost four. They have scored 40 goals and conceded 19. December 7, 1957 Cardiff City 7 Barnsley 0 CLIFF Nugent fired a hat-trick in Cardiff City's best ever win against the Tykes.

It was a dismal, rainswept afternoon at Ninian Park as City earned their biggest home win in 25 years. They had been relegated from Division One the previous season, but manager Trevor Morris and his team had struggled to mount a promotion challenge.

There were cranes and mechanical diggers at the top end of the Popular Bank in preparation for the erection of a big roof over the uncovered terrace.
Islington-born Nugent had been signed from Headington (now Oxford United) during February 1951, but had never been able to establish himself as a first-team regular. He wasn't even named on the team page in the matchday programme and yet it proved to be Cliff's finest moment in his Cardiff career.

The previous season Barnsley had shocked First Division Cardiff by knocking them out of the FA Cup, winning 1-0 in front of 32,000 spectators at Ninian Park.
This time Cardiff were in seventh heaven as they powered to a big victory thanks to goals from Nugent (three), Ron Hewitt (two), Joe Bonson and Colin Hudson.

It was City's biggest win since their 9-2 Third Division (South) home win against Thames during February 1932.
Cardiff had gone into the match against Barnsley having scored only 22 goals in their previous 20 matches, but they hit form in a big way.

That December proved to be memorable. Gerry Hitchens left the club, joining Aston Villa in a club record Pounds 22,000 transfer, and then Cardiff earned a first ever league win at Swansea (1-0).

Then came consecutive home matches against Stoke (5-2 win) and Liverpool (6-1 win).

A crowd of 30,622 watched the win against Liverpool, more than three times as many as the 8,941 who had been at the Barnsley match.

Cardiff City (v Barnsley in 1957): Ken Jones, Ron Stitfall, Alec Milne, Alan Harrington, Danny Malloy, Bob Scott, Brian Walsh, Ron Hewitt, Joe Bonson, Cliff Nugent, Colin Hudson.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »