Managerial Merry-go-round

Anything yellow and blue
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re: Managerial Merry-go-round

Post by Mooro »

&quotHog&quot wrote:Wonder if there'll be a flurry of sackings in the Championship now as chairmen jostle to get Adkins? Can't imagine he'll be out of work for long.
Already 2/1 on to be next manager at already vacant Blackpool.....
... I was going to say that many Championship clubs have already changed manager during this season, so wont be looking again, but given that Wolves, Forest, Blackburn and Blackpool have already sacked two since my list began then that doesnt seem to matter any more..
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Run of defeats, drop to 14th in League Two, enough for John Coleman to go at Rochdale almost a year to the day after he arrived....the club hope to have someone in place by Friday..

Adkins obviously still topping the odds for Blackpool (2-1 on), helped by caretaker Steve Thompsons unimpressive results over the last couple of weeks.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:Run of defeats, drop to 14th in League Two, enough for John Coleman to go at Rochdale almost a year to the day after he arrived....the club hope to have someone in place by Friday..

Adkins obviously still topping the odds for Blackpool (2-1 on), helped by caretaker Steve Thompsons unimpressive results over the last couple of weeks.
In the end, Rochdale managed someone in place by lunchtime Tuesday, former boss Keith Hill returning to work only a couple of weeks after leaving his previous role..

Meanwhile, Blackpool GAzette reporting that Adkins not returning calls from the Oystons, so it seems the curse of Michael Appleton continues - what price neither position being filled before he gets fired from Blackburn?
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

I wonder if Villa might be interested in Adkins ...?
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

&quotHog&quot wrote:I wonder if Villa might be interested in Adkins ...?
No odds on Oddschecker for the Villa job at the moment, though seem to remember Di Matteo ahead last time I saw any, however it is interesting to note that adkins has gone from 2/1 on favourite for the Blackpool job to 3/1 against second favourite behind Billy Davies.....though how connected the two are is anyone's guess...

I actually think that this may be another one of those situations I argued for Wilder just before Christmas, in that while things are not going great by any means, will switching manager at this point actually work against Villa over the rest of the season? It will be a rush to get someone in who can set up any astute buys HE WANTS before the end of January, and to be honest who is out there likely to make a real difference - would Adkins be able to recreate what he's done at Soton at a new club rather than one he is very familiar with - so would it not be better to let Lambert see out the season concentrating on picking up those points to keep them ahead of the drop, with a couple of senior players coming back from injury and one or two experienced buys that hopefully are already in the pipeline, than risk a period under a caretaker, then a selection from a limited managerial field to try to settle in and turn things around without being able to change the squad he has to work with.

Personally, I think it would cost Randy Lerner a lot less to just employ a new defensive coach........
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

BetVictor first to publish - Mark Hughes &amp Di Matteo jt faves at 2-1, Adkins 10-1, solskjaer 20....

tho BBC Sports Midlands guru Pat Murphy reckons Lerner shares my view and that Lambert is going nowhere: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21158105

Anyway, only a Friday night FA Cup jaunt to Millwall to worry about next Paul!
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

11th Championship side to join the fun since the end of last season, as Huddersfield sack Simon GRayson after 11 months, as they sit 18th in the first season since he finished off Lee Clark's start in getting them up from League 1.

Will he go back to Leeds? Will Adkins be happy to drop to that level, or will he hang on for a more prominent role....who knows....wonder if Michael Appleton is interested?
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Just a week after orchestrating a win over Liverpool in the FA cup, an 8th league defeat in 9 games has moved Paul Dickov to stand aside at Oldham, with the side just one place above the League 1 dropzone....
......while just a handful of places further up the table, 11th placed Notts County fire Keith Curle after just 2 wins in 11 has dropped them a little too far away from the playoffs for the board's liking
..lower down the pile, Neale Cooper has taken the caretaker reigns at Conference strugglers AFC Telford after Andy Sinton's departure

Dickov immediately joins Di Canio among the second tier of favourites for the Blackpool job, caretaker Steve Thompson and former Huddersfield man Simon GRayson leading the pack the moment.
Di Canio and Nigel adkins are similarly placed for the Huddersfield job, behind Gary Megson and Steve Pressley - caretaker Mark Lillis not so high on the list.

Chris wilder seems to have fallen off the bookies radar at the moment, particulary for the string of CHampionship jobs coming up, but I wonder whether he'll get a mention for these two latest jobs once odds start to appear?
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:Chris wilder seems to have fallen off the bookies radar at the moment, particulary for the string of CHampionship jobs coming up, but I wonder whether he'll get a mention for these two latest jobs once odds start to appear?
I too like to look at what odds the bookmakers are offering for things such as the next manager at a club but after Wilder was something like 1/10, if my memory serves me right, for the Coventry job I really wouldn't see any difference if Wilder was 10/1 100/1 or not listed at all in the odds for a job.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Just for the record, the bookies have now registered todays movements and have the following:
Blackpool - Dickov joining Grayson &amp THompson at the head of the odds, Di Canio and Lee Clark next up
Huddersfield - the press have them on the phone to Paulo, but for the moment he is saying nowt, but joins Pressley and Megson at the head of the pack, with Adkins in tow, except with BetVictor who seem to beleive Mark Robins is about to chuck in his challenge at Coventry to step up a league.
Notts County - Chris Kiwomya is odds on, with Megson, Dickov and Phil Brown next but a long way back - presuming he is caretaker &amp/or already works there, but have not got round to checking...
Oldham - Phil Brown top of pile here, from Dowie, John Sheriden &amp Gary Megson.

I am assuming Gary Megsons agent has been very busy recently pushing his name, the rest appear to be standard shuffling of the newly out of work and usual suspects. Noone mentions Wilder on any of the lists.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Big 'Eck walks at Forest, who are quickly turning into the new Blackburn. DI Canio is said to be waiting until the takeover is ratified before deciding his future. Would his departure indicate a lack of loyalty to the fans at the first sign of trouble, a lack of balls to take on the fight, or alternatively the possession of a set of the latter to put his money/future where his mouht is?

Blackpool (3 bookies)- Billy Davies now heavily odds on for this one, caretaker Thompson 2nd, GRayson, Dickov, McCleish way back
Hudds (4) - Adkins now in front, Robins generally 2nd, Pressley, Barker, Di Canio &amp Coyle next up
Forest (5) - Adkins again, Roy Keane, then a mix of Davies, Di Canio, Di Matteo &amp Owen Coyle
County (2) - caretaker Kiwomyas to lose, 14-1 bar him, (Stan James has Wilder 28-1)
Oldham (3) - more intriguing - Dowie at evens, then Phil Brown, then both Paul Scholes &amp Nicky Butt
Pompey (0) - presume Whittingham will continue until administrators finally sort out a takeover, then I suspect he'll be given a chance to show what he can do with the shackles off
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

So Billy Davies returns to Forest with ‘Unfinished Business’ after being out of management since falling out with the previous owners at the club in June 2011. Reasonably popular with fans from before, this should hopefully be a longer term appointment than recently seen.
Appears he was about to take the Blackpool job before Forest came available, with press reports now suggesting Owen Coyle is next on the list, with caretaker Steve Thompson still featuring highly at the bookies though appears he’ll only get the job if Oyston runs out of names to chase.
Elsewhere, the Notts County is Chris Kiwomya’s ‘to lose’ according to his chairman, while Iain Dowie is the clear favourite to return to Oldham, scene of his first stint in management, with the Scholes rumours exposed as little more than a joke offer from a Bookie.
Huddersfield – odds on Megson slashed when spotted at a recent game, but have drifted since, and while they have approached Adkins, it is understood that there are still issues with his departure from the Saints to sort out. New favourite is Graeme Jones, current #2 to Martinez at Wigan, although Sky have now inserted current Sheffield Wednesday boss Dave Jones as their new favourite…..!
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

All eyes on Preston tonight with Westley's future dangling by the preverbials - I note lots of forum posters in their local paper hoping they lose tonight.

Huddersfield are after Mark Robins, but their approach has been rejected by Cov, although a six figure compensation offer will apparently force it through. If it doesn't happen Nicky Butt is apparently a serious option, with Wigan #2 GRaeme Jones also up there.
Notts County are likely to appoint Kiwomya sooner rather than later
Oldham are not planning on offering their job to caretaker Philiskirk, with favourites being oldboy Iain Dowie or fatboy Sammy Lee.
Blackpool are still scrabbling around trying to avoid giving it to caretaker Steve Thompson, but with a string of managers having turned it down it will be interesting who eventually comes in. My inkling is that this might finally be someone who is willing to take on Paul Ince, though not sure his son would be too happy,
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Seems like Westley has &quotstepped down&quot.
Would you take Westley (and his backroom team) for Wilder?
Presumably no compensation due to Preston, but could be on gardening leave?
Or would his wages be too high and does he see himself as managing at a higher level than L2?
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Rumour abounds that, despite his claims to the oppopsite, he was interviewed for the job when CW landed it. And if the person I spoke to about it was correct, he was a total and utter... well, you can fill in the last bit yourself I think.