Ball boys

Anything yellow and blue
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Ball boys

Post by Mooro »

REgardless of what HAzard should or shouldnt have done, I hope that cretin is (i) given a life ban by Swansea for bringing both the game and the club into disrepute,,,,(ii) banned from watching the final either live or on TV....and (iii) banned from using Twitter for a year - wonder which would actually upset him the most....

Hope you are not going to defend him Snake
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Re: Ball boys

Post by joepoolman »

I think that's way over the top, and the punishment doesn't really fit the crime. I'm not going to defend him because he was wrong, and when I first saw it I thought it was stupid, but I also thought if it was me, and my team were 10 minutes from Wembley can I say that I definitely wouldn't have done something similar? No, and I don't think many people could answer yes.

Also from what's been put on Twitter it seems he was under instruction to waste time, which is wrong. Why ban him from twitter? He didn't tweet anything offensive or rude, just that he was going to be a ball boy and was going to timewaste, people post things a lot worse than that and no one has a problem.

I think he shouldn't be employed as a ball boy again, although it seems he wasn't going to be anyway, and not be paid wages for the night. Bear in mind he could've pressed charges and made a ton of money, and he apologised to and shook hands with Hazard after the game, he actually hasn't made nearly as much of a deal of it as he might have done.

Hazard was stupid and can have no complaints, but I think the ref didn't necessarily have to send him off, in the end I think the way the ref dealt with the Ritchie/Ball boy incident in March was superb.

If that's what you deem a fair punishment for an immature ball boy trying to kill 20 seconds, I'd be interested to know what you think the punishment should be for a supporter who calls a black player a monkey.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

When you take a step back and look at the whole sorry incident and examine which of the several parties involved emerge with any credit at all, in my opinion it is only the referee.

He correctly applied the rules about violent conduct.

Can't think of anyone else.

PS - I suspect Mooro was being a bit tongue in cheek.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:REgardless of what HAzard should or shouldnt have done, I hope that cretin is (i) given a life ban by Swansea for bringing both the game and the club into disrepute,,,,(ii) banned from watching the final either live or on TV....and (iii) banned from using Twitter for a year - wonder which would actually upset him the most....

Hope you are not going to defend him Snake
Of course I won’t defend him, but how much do you reckon he got paid compared to Demba Ba or Fernando Torres et al at last night’s game, and who made the most impact when the pressure was on in the last ten minutes? The Champions of Europe can’t score against a relatively crap but rapidly emerging club for three hours? A cup final at stake? Take a look at how many people now follow him on Twitter...

It’s know it’s only the League Cup, but I enjoyed witnessing the decline of the Roman Empire and the bars in a small town like Swansea were still rocking at 3 a.m. It just serves them right for trying to buy success.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:Take a look at how many people now follow him on Twitter...
More than the official Swansea City Twitter account!
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

His parents are worth over 40 million quid and own over 20% of the football club...
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

Mooro, I hope you are being sarcastic, because, if not, that is the most ludicrous thing i have read on here in a long time....
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Oh, good, this is shaping like the ball boy debate after the Scumdon game! We need Terry/GY to return to raise the temperature a bit more ...
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

That incident summed up a great deal of what's wrong with today's game. We see players, especially in the Premier League, diving, feigning injury and cheating on a regular basis. Whether they like it or not they are role models to youngsters like the ball boy. The ball boy (who should have his backside kicked never mind anything else) was only following their example. Unless and until players operate within the spirit of the game it will ever be so.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

&quotamershamwrighty&quot wrote:PS - I suspect Mooro was being a bit tongue in cheek.
Only partially...I'm entirely serious about the life ban from all games - many times on here and the other side we have discussed the rules about supporters encroaching onto the field of play resulting in a ban, potentially for life, particularly if they interfere with the game/players etc.
That refers to general supporters, so it follows that any punishment should be moreso for any person entrusted with representing the club, ie. ballboy. That person abuses that trust, then I see no issue with banning him forwever.

I also think item (ii) on my list is appropriate - lets call it a one match ban - which if his motivation was entirely driven by his support for his, would represent a real blow to him, and perhaps a lesson learnt. However, I mention item (iii) as it is quite likely that his motives were far more linked to notoriety, 15 minutes of fame etc, then to be but off from that world for a period of time may be more of a lesson to him and others.

Basically, I'm of the opinion that he should not be - or not be seen to be - gaining out of this event. He already has his name in the papers, the enlarged Twitter following that he clearly wanted, plus the bonus of meeting a dressing room full of professional footballers, which he would never had chance to otherwise (unless his dad pulled a few strings). He also has the power to bring down a professional footballer, should he want to, by pressing charges and perhaps pull in a few grand from one of the papers for his story.
This guy should be dealt with, and be seen to be dealt with, otherwise who is say what copycat performances we will see over the next few months??
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

&quotMooro&quot wrote: Basically, I'm of the opinion that he should not be - or not be seen to be - gaining out of this event. He already has his name in the papers, the enlarged Twitter following that he clearly wanted, plus the bonus of meeting a dressing room full of professional footballers, which he would never had chance to otherwise (unless his dad pulled a few strings). He also has the power to bring down a professional footballer, should he want to, by pressing charges and perhaps pull in a few grand from one of the papers for his story.
This guy should be dealt with, and be seen to be dealt with, otherwise who is say what copycat performances we will see over the next few months??
Wow my name in the papers and endless hate on twitter for me and my friends/family, I wish I had that?!
And I don't see how you can hold it against him that &quotHe also has the power to bring down a professional footballer, should he want to, by pressing charges and perhaps pull in a few grand from one of the papers for his story&quot, he's already stated he's not pressing charges, and as far as I'm aware he hasn't yet sold any story to any paper.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21201247

The FA are now sticking their oar in. The automatic 3 game ban is 'insufficient' apparently. :roll:

To be honest, this whole thing seems to have got way out of proportion.

The ball boy needs a clip round the ear for being a stupid idiot and Hazard's 3 game ban should be enough on the basis he was trying to retrieve the ball from said stupid idiot who had plainly failed in his one duty - to give the ball back to the players without need for it to be wrestled from him!
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Can't quite believe what I'm reading here. From the comments, anybody would think that the ballboy was holding onto the ball for five minutes and refusing to give it back!!

FFS, the ball went out for a goalkick and, as the ball approached the ballboy, he went to pick it up, and which point Hazard decides to do the refs job for him and try to kick it out of the lad's hands. He then hits the deck and lands on the ball, where Hazard then tries to kick the ball out from under the lad, and appears to connect with his ribs.

Maybe the lad was slightly misguided in not just letting Hazard take the ball - maybe he would have done had it been a Chelsea corner rather than a Swansea goal kick. But to start suggesting he should have a life ban and the talk of possible copycat performances simply beggars belief.
tts back

Post by tts back »

If his dad owns 20% of Swansea FC........i cant see him geting banned from any matches....anyway it livened up the game and was very funny :lol:
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

&quottts back&quot wrote:If his dad owns 20% of Swansea FC........i cant see him geting banned from any matches....anyway it livened up the game and was very funny :lol:
Spot on there, Truth Teller. Up to that point in the 78th minute it was still tense (two nil is a dangerous lead and all that) but once Chelsea were reduced to ten men it was all over bar the shouting and a lot of singing.

The only shame is that it has distracted the media attention from what is indeed a very unusual League Cup Final pairing which will be a great day out for many fans of two small clubs. And if Bradford win I won’t be too disappointed and will clap them off the field as playing on Thursday night for the benefit of ITV4 viewers in the Europa League next season against a team that I’ve never heard of is no good for Swansea as they have to deal with 3rd season syndrome.

p.s. the Swans Supporters' Trust own another 20%