Young at heart

Anything yellow and blue
slappy
Grumpy old git

Young at heart

Post by slappy »

This time, a thread for any youth team related stories which pop up on my internet newsfeed.

The OUFC Youth team take on Yeovil Town in the FA Youth cup first round at Thame United's ASM Stadium on Halloween (Wednesday 31 October).

The winner will face either Plymouth Argyle or Exeter City.

They also won 9-2 against Hereford last weekend, with James Roberts scoring five. Roberts was at the Wycombe academy, which closed down last year.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re: Young at heart

Post by slappy »

Plymouth Argyle will face the winners of the Oxford United-Yeovil Town first round game.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

report on Official Website on Friday's victory over Cheltenham.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

James Roberts seems to be scoring a hatful of goals. I believe that he came from Wycombe when they closed down their Youth system.

I am wondering what difference the change in rules at the beginning of the season will have to clubs like ours? SL seemed to suggest that any compensation that we would receive from higher clubs would be significantly less than it used to be. So with at last our YT looking as if they may have some decent youngsters coming through (although of course it is very early days for them), it is presumably relatively easy for a bigger club to simply poach the better players?

It seems that SL seems to really want to grow the YT. For this strategy to work, the next manager whenever this may be will surely need to buy into this and give the young players more of a chance?

It is possible that at the moment the young players are simply not good enough, but surely the JPT is the place to blood players like Marsh to see whether he is good enough or not?
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Our next round opponents, Plymouth, have several promising players too according to This is Devon.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

NOwhere near as up on this stuff as I used to be but yes the new rules mean that unless a club can arrange a higher fee direct with the buying club, then tribunals will set fees lower than they would in the past - £70k comes to mind.

This is why the Wycombe system was closed down as it wasnt seen viable in their precarious financial state as the supporters trust took over from the rugby guy whose name escapes me. Their system has had much more success in recent times in bringing players into the senior squad, from memory about 6-8 of their current squad came via the YT. Given that, I'm glad that we picked up at least one (Roberts) but not sure how many others we've picked up across the age groups.

Would also hope we've picked up some of their scouting network in the Bucks area, in order to widen our net in that direction.

As for OUFC giving youth players a chance in the senior squad, would still expect Marsh to get first dibs ahead of Roberts, given age and the fact that Roberts can still play for the YT, while would also like to see Crocombe given regular bench duty at least, while word on the street is that Lynn is probably the best regarded of the current YT, so a chance from the bench for him too please.......
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

The winners of the second round tie have a home game against Barnsley.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I think we know who to vote for in the October goal of the month competition
http&#58//www&#46lfe&#46org&#46uk/news/ ... -the-month

http&#58//www&#46youtube&#46com/watch?v ... ampt=1m45s
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:I think we know who to vote for in the October goal of the month competition
http&#58//www&#46lfe&#46org&#46uk/news/ ... -the-month

http&#58//www&#46youtube&#46com/watch?v ... ampt=1m45s
I'd actually put JU 4th or 5th out of that lot, (F,G,H my top 3) but 'H' did make me laugh - seems Liverpool can't even defend at that level!
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Plymouth Argyle look forward to tonight's game, which has been switched to Didcot Town due to a waterlogged pitch at Thame
from the Plymouth Herald
Dougie07
Baby

Post by Dougie07 »

Plymouth were a good side and the boys had to fight to win that. They played against some really good players tonight and that will do them good in the future. Solomon Wheatley gave Dave Lynn (who lots of us really rate) a tough night, but he should learn from that.

I have no doubt that some people will demand that players like Roberts (who is 16 and not 17 for 8 months) are playing for the first team, but they're going along the right tracks. I've seen CW at a fair few of their games and several are being given the chance to train with the first team. It's been too long since we had a player make it into the first team but I believe a few of these guys have a chance. Not now, but one day.

Here's a brief report.

http://www.rageonline.co.uk/mainpage.ph ... ws_id=3206
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Thanks for the match report. If Roberts went to another club, would OUFC or Wycombe get compensation, or both, I wonder.
brief piece from the Plymouth Herald
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

FA YOUTH CUP FOURTH-ROUND DRAW

Crystal Palace or Port Vale v Everton
Norwich City v Millwall
Oxford United or Barnsley v Stevenage
Reading v Bolton Wanderers
Derby County v Ipswich Town
West Ham United v Cheltenham Town or Tottenham Hotspur
Stoke City v Huddersfield Town
Arsenal v Fulham or Middlesbrough
Manchester City v Burnley
Bradford City or Histon v Liverpool
Charlton Athletic v Chelsea
Northampton Town v Hull City or Swansea City
Birmingham City v Coventry City or Bristol Rovers
Leicester City v Peterborough United or Aston Villa
Leeds United v Burton Albion
Nottingham Forest v Rochdale or Crewe Alexandra
All ties to be played by Saturday, January 19
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

FA YOUTH CUP FOURTH-ROUND DRAW

Crystal Palace or Port Vale v Everton
Norwich City v Millwall
Oxford United or Barnsley v Stevenage
Reading v Bolton Wanderers
Derby County v Ipswich Town
West Ham United v Cheltenham Town or Tottenham Hotspur
Stoke City v Huddersfield Town
Arsenal v Fulham or Middlesbrough
Manchester City v Burnley
Bradford City or Histon v Liverpool
Charlton Athletic v Chelsea
Northampton Town v Hull City or Swansea City
Birmingham City v Coventry City or Bristol Rovers
Leicester City v Peterborough United or Aston Villa
Leeds United v Burton Albion
Nottingham Forest v Rochdale or Crewe Alexandra
All ties to be played by Saturday, January 19
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Remember the youngsters playing away at Stevenage in the youth cup a few years back...
Alex Fisher scored at least once while James Clark upset the locals with a couple of crunching tackles...

Would be interested to see where the Stevenage XI from that day are playing now, as I remember there being a few potential gems in there (particularly wide and up front).