One game wonders

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotSteMerritt&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:What about the ageing donkey that Smith signed last summer who buggered off to New Zealand. Was he the only &quotfirst team&quot player never to wear the shirt?
Wasn't he signed primarily as a member of the coaching staff though?
Scott Gemmill.

He was definitely signed as a player. Looking back at the official site, he was sub for 1 game and played just 17 minutes.
Last edited by GodalmingYellow on Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:What about the ageing donkey that Smith signed last summer who buggered off to New Zealand. Was he the only &quotfirst team&quot player never to wear the shirt?
If you mean Scott Gemmill then he did wear the shirt at Mansfield as posted above.

One who reportedly signed but never played was Bruce Grobbelar.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotMally&quot wrote:One who reportedly signed but never played was Bruce Grobbelar.
And, so far, Luke Foster (unless a couple of reserves outings count).
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Hog »

&quotMally&quot wrote:
If you mean Scott Gemmill then he did wear the shirt at Mansfield as posted above.

One who reportedly signed but never played was Bruce Grobbelar.
Was it Grobbelar, or was it Shilton?
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

Definitely Grobbelar. Technically speaking two others who wore the shirt only once were Paul Gascoigne and Paul Merson at The Riverside in 1998 but I don't think that's what was meant.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Doudou.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

Am I making this up, or did Eddie Denton play against Manchester United at the end of the 1987-88 season? He doesn't appear on the statistics page. (It'd presumably be in Howland, but my copy's not here.) If he did, was it his only appearance?
entirely disenchanted
SteMerritt
Puberty

Post by SteMerritt »

Don't have my copy available either, but I am pretty certain that he did appear in there.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

According to Howland (I do have my copy in front of me) he came off the bench for the Man U game. However, he doesn't fill your criteria because he also came off the bench for the Newcastle game, three days earlier.

I will update RO to reflect this new knowledge later this evening. How come it wasn't on your DB then, Steve, as that was where all the pre-2000 data came from?
SteMerritt
Puberty

Post by SteMerritt »

Don't know why I missed that one mate, sorry!!

I half remember a page in Raging Bull just after the book was released with one of the Howlands detailing a few mistakes in the book - might be worth finding this page out (assuming I didn't dream it up).
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Denton now added to the db, and the relevant games corrected - for some reason it showed Ben Abbey as the sub for those two matches!

The page you refer to, Steve, was a letter from Andy Howland in issue 8 which detailed a number of inaccuracies, however, they were all to the narrative and didn't affect anything that would appear in the database.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

(Mentioned Hubert Busby, but then saw Mally had already...)

Who was that youth striker who came on as a sub in our last game of our last season at the Manor? (or is my memory playing tricks?)
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Oh, I remembered, it was Jordan Holder. But I think maybe he made another sub appearance actually? Not sure.

How about Jimmy Glass? (He may have made two appearances too actually.)

There was definitely a youth teamer called Mark Stevens who made just the one appearance, he says hopefully...