Hacking

Anything yellow and blue
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotadmin&quot wrote: Nope. I've reset the admin password in case the hacker used a bot to work out the site password, but if that's the case then it's possibly only a matter of time before they crack that, if they wish to go to the botheration. No idea why they've targeted this forum, other than they were able to.

GY - I don't know if a different host would have more sophisticated anti-hacking measures, although it's definitely something to look into.
How does a bot work out your password? Sorry to seem a bit stupid if it’s obvious, but having researched this kind of thing it seemed much more of a personalised attack on our forum. I’ve also had three emails recently from close mates “desperately needing money
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote: How does a bot work out your password? Sorry to seem a bit stupid if it’s obvious, but having researched this kind of thing it seemed much more of a personalised attack on our forum. I’ve also had three emails recently from close mates “desperately needing money
yellowportly
Brat

Re: Hacking

Post by yellowportly »

The hack would have happened where a user, or bot, was able exploit a known vulnerability in the software and thus gain access .. it's not down to the host or a browser related issue, just really because we were using an old version of PHPBB to run this software and it's been out in the wild long enough for people to know how to break into it ...

The new release is the latest and greatest (which means we probably have about three months before it happens again :o )
--== Keep On Keepin' On ==--
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotportly&quot wrote:The new release is the latest and greatest (which means we probably have about three months before it happens again :o )
Or, as it would appear, less than 24 hours!! :evil:
yellowportly
Brat

Post by yellowportly »

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:
&quotportly&quot wrote:The new release is the latest and greatest (which means we probably have about three months before it happens again :o )
Or, as it would appear, less than 24 hours!! :evil:
almost ... that happened because the user registration setting was set to let anyone in ... it's now disabled ...
--== Keep On Keepin' On ==--
The Enforcer
Brat

Post by The Enforcer »

I see the hackers have also deleted the entire record of posts from the 2011/12 Season on the Raging Fever forum :mrgreen:
Becka
Sperm

Post by Becka »

High Voltage Was Here

Do not speak too
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

You have to hand it to those &quotHigh Voltage&quot hackers. There's a fair chance they will bring down the whole of Western democracy by hacking into an OUFC fans fourm with, what?, 20-30 regular posters.

And is the &quotDo not speak too&quot a missing word(s) game?
Baboo Junior
Puberty

Post by Baboo Junior »

HighVoltage Was Here :)

I'll be back