Cymry Llundain

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Cymry Llundain

Post by GodalmingYellow »

So what are people's thoughts on Welsh looking to ground share next season.

And is anyone going to the Welsh v Cornish egg chasing game on 30th May at the KasStad?
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Re: Cymry Llundain

Post by amershamwrighty »

I absolutely hate the idea. The pitch will be ruined. I have yet to see a 'eggchasing groundshare' pitch that is half decent - Bristol Rovers' Memorial Ground was one of the worst I have ever seen.

No, I won't be going on 30 May. Even if I wasn't going fishing that day.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Will probably put the stadium purchase price up.... (presuming that the owner gets a nice rental off LW)
Wonder how much of that extra income to stadco will be spent on maintaining the pitch?

Other question(s): i) how likely are RFU to allow this groundshare (I sense they are quite 'closed shop' in their thinking)
ii) if they do, how long are LW likely to stay up for - or would we be better holding out for Wasps when they leave Wycombe in a couple of years time?
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

As I posted on the Down the M40 thread, I think the Primacy of Tenure rules can be worked around. After all, Wasps happily coexist at Wycombe. and whilst I wouldn't want our Saturday games moved, several clubs last season had Friday fixtures. There may be an option to have a back-up 'home ground' as well, so they play some home games at the Kasstad and others at say

At present it seems it would be disastrous for the pitch without significant investment, but was Wycombe that bad? (we know Stockport and Bristol Rovers were, but was that just the weather at the latter)

Whilst Stadco obviously picks up the rent, it would hopefully mean the service charge that OUFC pays is reduced.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

God only knows what merry signed but does anyone know if there is a clause in the stadium contract not allowing any other sporting activities at the stadium?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:or would we be better holding out for Wasps when they leave Wycombe in a couple of years time?
Why would 'we' care either way? I don't see how any of this would benefit OUFC at all.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
&quotMooro&quot wrote:or would we be better holding out for Wasps when they leave Wycombe in a couple of years time?
Why would 'we' care either way? I don't see how any of this would benefit OUFC at all.
Exactly!

Kassam will get the extra rent and maintenance fees, not OUFC.

OUFC will get a bad pitch and have to share facilities.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Agreed however, if we owned the stadium and could benefit from additional rent, food &amp bev sales etc, then I would welcome them in with open arms. At the end of the day, anything that brings in additional rev to help the purse-string holders at the club meet the ambitions of the supporters without getting us in to financial difficult must be a good thing. I mean, it hasn't done Reading any harm, has it?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:Agreed however, if we owned the stadium and could benefit from additional rent, food &amp bev sales etc, then I would welcome them in with open arms. At the end of the day, anything that brings in additional rev to help the purse-string holders at the club meet the ambitions of the supporters without getting us in to financial difficult must be a good thing. I mean, it hasn't done Reading any harm, has it?
Yes, but we dont own the stadium. and having that additional rent and commercial revenue, pushes the price of the stadium up, so no advantage at all.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:God only knows what merry signed but does anyone know if there is a clause in the stadium contract not allowing any other sporting activities at the stadium?
What do you think Merry signed up to? If that's not the most stupid question I've ever read on this board then I'm not sure what is...

Having seen every home game at The Liberty this season it appears that given a decent stadium maintenance team to look after the grass it can be done and a playing surface produced that is perfect for a pass and move team that keeps the ball on the ground, and Swansea's Stadium is a closed bowl that is currently still shared with the Ospreys Wugby team (for now) - unlike Minchery Farm which has a vacant West end to help the wind and sunshine get onto the grass.
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

RFU decide neither London Welsh nor Cornish Pirates eligible for promotion to Premiership from Championship - reprieve for Newcastle
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Putting aside whether it would help or hinder OUFC if LW came to play at the stadium, this sort of closed shop thinking by league commities does annoy me - it may be true that LW don't fit the criteria, but it is also probably true that the bar is set deliberately (too) high to ensure the status quo as much as possible.
It is the same as in many non-league divisions where the overriding rule is that if there is any issue with the prime promotion candidate reprieving clubs always comes ahead of allowing new blood to step up - we saw it in the Conference many times when the same clubs (Forest Green / Altrincham) seemed to come in the bottom four but still be around the following year, rather than allow an extra to come up. Narrow thinking and totally against the principles of a fluid promotion and relegation system.....
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Agree with Mooro on this. If &quotPrimacy of Tenure&quot is the big stumbling block for LW, how do London Irish, Wasps, and Saracens get around it?

And, presumably, Cornish and Welsh may as well not bother with their promotion play-off games now as neither of them can actually get promoted. Good timing on the part of the RFU too - announce the decision on the morning of the first game!
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

On the other place I was reading about the Wigan Warriors / Athletic clash this season. Where WW were scheduled by the BBC to play a cup match on a Saturday, but there was an EPL match for WAFC on the Sunday. Apparently EPL rules say you can't play two games on successive days on the same pitch.
So WW got special dispensation due to the pitch being in good condition, so they could play at home on the Saturday, rather than play a home game away.

As for the RFU Premier League, perhaps they've worked out that perhaps 3 out of 12 teams can have their fixtures moved for football, but any more and they can't get a fixture list together. Which seems very harsh on those trying for promotion.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:Agree with Mooro on this. If &quotPrimacy of Tenure&quot is the big stumbling block for LW, how do London Irish, Wasps, and Saracens get around it?

And, presumably, Cornish and Welsh may as well not bother with their promotion play-off games now as neither of them can actually get promoted. Good timing on the part of the RFU too - announce the decision on the morning of the first game!
I quite agree. I think the Rugby authorities got around this by changing the rules after Irish, Wasps &amp Saracens moved.

The rugby closed shop is a disgrace and a reason why rugby will never be as popular as football. If there's no risk of losing, there's much less incentive for winning.