One game wonders

Anything yellow and blue
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

One game wonders

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

I haven't the memory for this, but since we're doing XIs this week how about an XI of people who only wore the shirt once? You can decide whether or not to pick loan players like Mike Salmon.....
entirely disenchanted
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

From distant memory

Tony Obi?

Leon Mike?

Greg Coombes
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

He doesn't qualify because I think he appeared twice as a sub but Abdou Sall deserves a mention because in both &quotappearances&quot he never touched the ball.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Leon Mike also came on twice as sub, so does he count?

The one that springs instantly to mind is Guy Whittingham, who has probably the best goals to games ratio of any United player.

There was also Andy Harris, who played half a game v Leicester, was so crap that he was replaced at half time, and was never heard of again.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotMally&quot wrote:He doesn't qualify because I think he appeared twice as a sub but Abdou Sall deserves a mention because in both &quotappearances&quot he never touched the ball.
The other (okay, an other) player who only played two substitute appearances was Amine Karam. I was gutted that we were unable to sign him on permanently, because in the times I saw him for the reserves he was clearly the best player, technically, that I have ever seen. Destined to be a star.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

&quotboris&quot wrote:Leon Mike also came on twice as sub, so does he count?
No
entirely disenchanted
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

IÔÇÖll reserve my judgement on this topic until I see how well Steve McClaren plays for us in PR-BÔÇÖs testimonial.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:I’ll reserve my judgement on this topic until I see how well Steve McClaren plays for us in PR-B’s testimonial.
Erm, Steve McClaren has already made 33 appearances for us, in case you'd forgotten...
SteMerritt
Puberty

Post by SteMerritt »

Marcus Phillips, one sub appearance away from home - surely the shortest ever OUFC career?
x586
Brat

Post by x586 »

Ah - must read first posts more carefully. :D
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotSteMerritt&quot wrote:Marcus Phillips, one sub appearance away from home - surely the shortest ever OUFC career?
Shorter than Tony Obi's 15 minutes? Or Abdou Sall's combined total?
SteMerritt
Puberty

Re:

Post by SteMerritt »

&quotboris&quot wrote:
&quotSteMerritt&quot wrote:Marcus Phillips, one sub appearance away from home - surely the shortest ever OUFC career?
Shorter than Tony Obi's 15 minutes? Or Abdou Sall's combined total?
From my hazy memory, didn't Marcus Phillips sign from non-league on the Monday, have his brief encounter of first team pro football, then was released again very shortly after? You could argue that Tony Obi had been at the club for quite a while. Abdou Sall is a player I had successfully managed to blank from my memory - thanks for reminding me of him :evil:
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

How about Scott Gemmill who played just 17 minutes away at Mansfield last season.

If we are picking a manager it has to be David Oldfield with his 45 minutes in the hot seat (between Atkins and Rix) until the game also at Mansfield was called off.

I've erased Mike Salmon from my memory so Hubert Busby has to be the keeper with his substitute appearance at Wycombe.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

What about the ageing donkey that Smith signed last summer who buggered off to New Zealand. Was he the only &quotfirst team&quot player never to wear the shirt?
SteMerritt
Puberty

Re:

Post by SteMerritt »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:What about the ageing donkey that Smith signed last summer who buggered off to New Zealand. Was he the only &quotfirst team&quot player never to wear the shirt?
Wasn't he signed primarily as a member of the coaching staff though?