Morecambe

Anything yellow and blue
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Overall we just have to hope and pray this was a 'one off' and as someone said at the start of the thread, brush it under the carpet and move on.

It was a very strange day all in, I found. I always know were going to lose when I find myself missing kick off (but not the two first goals). It's a bad omen, I find!

As for our front players, 'Pleasuredome' Olly Johnson and Rendell are making Beano look just a little bit, erm, league 2 at the moment. The quicker OJ comes back and we can play OJ / Rendell / JPP as an attacking 3, the better for all concerned.

On that note, I've been very impressed with Rendell. His workrate is 1st class, he causes a lot of problems for defenders and he seems to win quite a lot of fouls against him (where, in Beano's case, the foul tends to be given against him) and his finishing seems pretty deadly.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a Beano bashing thread. Hopefully Beano will find some form again, but he really hasn't looked the same since coming back from suspension. I wonder if he's regretting turning down the move down the A420...?
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote: I wonder if he's regretting turning down the move down the A420...?
On current form he wouldn't be anywhere near their first team.
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Re:

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote: I wonder if he's regretting turning down the move down the A420...?
Looking at it now, that would have been a nice piece of business had it come off. Doubt we'll ever get an offer close to that for him again, unless he drastically improves.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotJohn Byrne's Underpants&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
Looking at it now, that would have been a nice piece of business had it come off. Doubt we'll ever get an offer close to that for him again, unless he drastically improves.
I think quite a few fans thought that at the time but it wasn't really the politically correct thing to do to voice such an opinion. The worry probably was would we have spent the money wisely - our track record on bringing in goal scorers isn't that great.
Mr T
Brat

Post by Mr T »

Having travelled 160 miles down the M6 &amp M40 with my son for our annual pilgrimage I was left with a very long journey home after a shocking display. None of the outfield players deserve credit. Hall looked like someone who believed all the pre match hype, Leven argued incessantly, nearly everyone gave the ball away cheaply, and apart from Wilder's rant on the radio afterwards I wondered if anyone else cared.
Having been one of the 214 at Accrington on Tuesday, I felt that we rode our luck there, especially in the 2nd half, and I am still waiting for a match where we dominate from the start, allowing us supporters to enjoy a football match without the tension that is always present. If Montano had buried the one on one at 2-0 I might even have allowed myself a sing song!
I know the Oxford way is to win the hard way, but please do it easy this weekend I want to visit Port Vale on the last Saturday for a celebration of my team, and not be worrying about what happens if we don't get a result.
Bring back the black away shirt!
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

Annual Pilgrimage?
Do you only make ONE home game a season then?
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotMr T&quot wrote: I am still waiting for a match where we dominate from the start, allowing us supporters to enjoy a football match without the tension that is always present.
And how many times this season have teams dominated us from the start and won easily? Not many. Sheff Utd. Crawley away.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by joepoolman »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
Oh come on, does 2 bad months really cancel out 3 great years for market value? Tyrone Barnett wil cost Peterborough £1 million off the back of 28 goals in 82 starts for Macc and Crawley.
I have no doubt that with the right players around him and a good run in the team Beano can score goals in this league. And while I do like Rendell a lot, 3 goals in 11 (I think) starts doesn't embarrass Beano, who's scored 2 goals in a few less starts in the same amount of time while not being in a rich vein of form by his standards. I'd like to see the combination again, but I'm not sure if we can get away with two in the middle at the moment, and I don't think Wilder is either.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotjoepoolman&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote: On current form he wouldn't be anywhere near their first team.
Oh come on, does 2 bad months really cancel out 3 great years for market value? Tyrone Barnett wil cost Peterborough £1 million off the back of 28 goals in 82 starts for Macc and Crawley.
I have no doubt that with the right players around him and a good run in the team Beano can score goals in this league. And while I do like Rendell a lot, 3 goals in 11 (I think) starts doesn't embarrass Beano, who's scored 2 goals in a few less starts in the same amount of time while not being in a rich vein of form by his standards. I'd like to see the combination again, but I'm not sure if we can get away with two in the middle at the moment, and I don't think Wilder is either.
I tend to agree with JPM.

Form is temporary, class is permanent. No one can deny that Beano has had a lean season by his standards, but he is still our leading scorer by a margin, and has been for 3 consecutive years.

Wilder has tried pretty much every striker in Europe this season, and still none of them score any more than Beano. The problem is with the number of chances that the team creates for the strikers to score as much as the strikers creating their own chances.

Give us players who can put in good regular crosses and I think you'd find we score a lot more goals and Beanos stock would again be high.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: Give us players who can put in good regular crosses and I think you'd find we score a lot more goals and Beanos stock would again be high.
We had one for a short period of time - Lee Holmes.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Strikers are all about confidence. When the club seem perfectly happy to get rid of you, even to your biggest rivals and you get dropped for loan players on a regular basis your confidence is going to suffer. The lack of service is also an issue together with the lack of any kind of attacking ability amongst our coaches and you can see why beano has gone backwards this season. Still our best striker though and I don't understand why we've dropped our leading scorer for two such important games.