Morecambe

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Morecambe

Post by GodalmingYellow »

No one seems to have started a thread on this match.

I have to say that I agree wholeheartedly with Wilder's comments after the game. You might argue that he didn't have a choice but to front up, but in my view he came across as very straight and honest about the match rather than trying to cover his back. He pretty much tore into the players and rightly so, whereas he could have used excuses or tried to downplay the performance and result.

The only players to gain a morsel of credit were Hall and Clarke.

All of the front players were really quite shocking in every one of the formations that Wilder tried. No effort, no work rate, no intent, no skill.

This performance is one to throw away into the back of the cupboard and forget about for a very long time.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

Agreed, although I would add Jake Wright and Andy Whing to the morsel of credit list. Asa Hall's man scored the second Morecambe goal, but overall Hall played with commitment and more skill than most.

I do find Davis's implosion bizarre - he was such a positive influence, and now looks so tentative and - more surprisingly - lacking in energy.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Personally I thought hall had a shocker along with the other 9 outfield players.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re: Morecambe

Post by Baboo »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:No one seems to have started a thread on this match.
It will never be me as I do this http&#58//www&#46rageonline&#46co&#46uk ... ws_id=3106

One to forget (learn from) and quickly move on from, I hope.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:One to forget (learn from) and quickly move on from, I hope.
One lesson I hope that gets learnt is to not take Chapman off when Leven is playing so badly.

Does anybody else think we have a Gerrard / Lampard scenario with Chapman and Leven inasmuch as they seem incapable of playing together effectively.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote: Does anybody else think we have a Gerrard / Lampard scenario with Chapman and Leven inasmuch as they seem incapable of playing together effectively.
That has not struck me. The whole team seemed incapable of playing together effectively on Saturday.

In the past I have thought that Asa Hall &amp Simon Heslop look much better when only one of them is playing.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote:One to forget (learn from) and quickly move on from, I hope.
One lesson I hope that gets learnt is to not take Chapman off when Leven is playing so badly.

Does anybody else think we have a Gerrard / Lampard scenario with Chapman and Leven inasmuch as they seem incapable of playing together effectively.
I think there is an element of this. None of our midfield 3 as played on Saturday, is comfortable in a role sitting back in front of the back line, which is vital when playing 4-3-3 with wing backs bombing on. For me having Whing in mdfield in front of the back line makes us a much stronger side defensively, without losing too much going forward. I think we can only justify 2 out of the 3 of Hall, Leven and Chapman in the side at the same time.

With Hall being in such a rich vein of form, Chapman playing well as a midfield hub and creator, and Leven being badly out of form and clearly unfit, the midfield should pick themselves at present.
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:

I think there is an element of this. None of our midfield 3 as played on Saturday, is comfortable in a role sitting back in front of the back line, which is vital when playing 4-3-3 with wing backs bombing on. For me having Whing in mdfield in front of the back line makes us a much stronger side defensively, without losing too much going forward. I think we can only justify 2 out of the 3 of Hall, Leven and Chapman in the side at the same time.

With Hall being in such a rich vein of form, Chapman playing well as a midfield hub and creator, and Leven being badly out of form and clearly unfit, the midfield should pick themselves at present.
Agreed. That's twice now Wilder has subbed Chapman and left Leven on when quite clearly Leven should be the one to come off, is there something in his contract?? Leven shouldn't be playing right now to be honest as he's offering very little. Send him off for his op now, Chapman is a more than adequate replacement and isn't too bad from the set plays himself.

In regards to the match, is anyone really surprised? I wasn't. After struggling to a 0-0 draw (we were lucky to get that!) against a team who had lost 4 prior, this result was coming, even with the win against Accrington.

Oh and Beano worth £150K? He's not even worth £150 at the moment!
Aylesbury Rich
Brat

Post by Aylesbury Rich »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:

Have I stumbled into some sort of parallel universe where Chapman is suddenly Lionel Messi, and can do no wrong?? He had a shocker on Saturday (though by no means the only one), everyone around me was in total agreement that he should be subbed. In fact, the whole midfield was poor, only Asa Hall showed a couple of glimpses of his recent good form with two shots on goal.

I think having Andy Whing in midfield is key, providing Duberry/Worley/Wright are all fit, and then any two of Leven, Chapman, Hall or Heslop to play alongside him.

Anyway, enough negativity....here's to a cracking Easter weekend and 6 points!
Aylesbury Rich
Brat

Post by Aylesbury Rich »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:

Have I stumbled into some sort of parallel universe where Chapman is suddenly Lionel Messi, and can do no wrong?? He had a shocker on Saturday (though by no means the only one), everyone around me was in total agreement that he should be subbed. In fact, the whole midfield was poor, only Asa Hall showed a couple of glimpses of his recent good form with two shots on goal.

I think having Andy Whing in midfield is key, providing Duberry/Worley/Wright are all fit, and then any two of Leven, Chapman, Hall or Heslop to play alongside him.

theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

The whole Leven thing reminds me a little bit of playing Football Manager. Never take your best player off, even if he's got a rating of 4 with 70 mins gone, as you never know when he might produce a piece of game winning magic!! :lol:
Bista yellow
Brat

Post by Bista yellow »

Whing in Midfield - problem solved - agreed!
Bicester will be back
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Wilson looked half decent when he came on. Actually the best of our midfield men. Should he be a starter at the Cobblers?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

&quotAylesbury Rich&quot wrote:
&quotA-Ro&quot wrote: One lesson I hope that gets learnt is to not take Chapman off when Leven is playing so badly.

Chapman was poor on Saturday, but he was far better than Leven.

Anyway, I think we are all agreed that we should dismiss Saturday's game due to it being so unbelievably poor.

In general Chpamn has done very well since his return.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

I'd agree with GY's start to the thread except for &quotNo effort&quot. Dean Morgan aside (don't get me started on him), I didn't think it was for a lack of trying or wanting it, they just pretty much all playeed badly, and I'd also say that I thought Wilder's post macth interview was spot on.