Jack midson

Anything yellow and blue
Aylesbury Rich
Brat

Post by Aylesbury Rich »

Never understood this Midons 'love in'. He didn't cut it with us- and lets not forget he was played in a 4-4-2 formation at the start of his first season and still didn't set the world on fire.

Oh, and as i'm in controversial mood today, I thought Chapman was distinctly average last night. Bring back Whingy in the middle!
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotAylesbury Rich&quot wrote:Oh, and as i'm in controversial mood today, I thought Chapman was distinctly average last night. Bring back Whingy in the middle!
I saw that slightly differently (natch), Whing was bossing the right back position and as soon as he moved to midfield Batt and Duberry shared the right back duty which forced us back (again). Whing was good in both positions but from a shape perspective it looked and felt better with Whing at the back and Chapman in the middle.

While I'm on the subject of substitutions, I don't think Constable offered any more than Rendell last night and Tonkin was a further example of taking off an attack minded player and replacing him with a defender thus drawing the team further back and us having to put up with a desperate last ten minutes again.

Cue somebody to defend the substitutions because those substituted were &quotout on their feet&quot.
Aylesbury Rich
Brat

Post by Aylesbury Rich »

I thought the first two substitutions were about right. Rendell for Constable is an obvious straight swap, and my view was that Chapman was having a poor game and Whing has proved excellent in that central role. Both Batt and Beano should have been fresh from their suspensions.

The Tonkin substitution was perhaps more controversial. But.....Davis is capable of playing as part of a front three- I believe he did earlier in the season- and certainly we have used this tactic before to shore up the defence. Wembley for example, when Rhys Day came on for the last 5.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Ancient Colin »

&quotAylesbury Rich&quot wrote: lets not forget he was played in a 4-4-2 formation at the start of his first season and still didn't set the world on fire.
Even ignoring the missing apostrophe, this is a bit unfair.

He played in a front two for the first game of the 09/10 season, and then on his own up front with Green, Murray and Potter behind him in a 4-2-3-1 in the second. For the third game, against Histon, we switched to a three up front (Midson, Constable, Green). He didn't play the next three games (two up front or one up front with Murray in the hole), then Cook arrived for the Luton game, at which point we played a three up front, Cook, Green, Constable ... he came on as a sub in a three at Gateshead at the end of September and that's how it was for pretty much the rest of the season. So he had exactly one game in a 4-4-2 with a completely new squad at the start of the season &quotto set the world on fire&quot.
Last edited by Ancient Colin on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotAylesbury Rich&quot wrote:I thought Chapman was distinctly average last night.
I would rather have taken Leven off if I was going to take anybody, I thought he was very poor. Carrying an injury I am led to believe.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:I would rather have taken Leven off [...] Carrying an injury I am led to believe.
Apparently he has delayed his shoulder operation until the end of the season, so he's still playing on through the pain at the moment.
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Re:

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotAylesbury Rich&quot wrote:I thought Chapman was distinctly average last night.
I would rather have taken Leven off if I was going to take anybody, I thought he was very poor. Carrying an injury I am led to believe.
Agreed. Our midfield looked poorer when he went off. I think Whing has been a revelation since moving to CB and then defensive midfield, however, if it comes down to a choice between him and Chapman as the 'holding midfielder' I'd go with Chapman. He offers so much more in flair and quality. Isn't there any way we could play both?
Aylesbury Rich
Brat

Re:

Post by Aylesbury Rich »

&quotJohn Byrne's Underpants&quot wrote:
&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
Agreed. Our midfield looked poorer when he went off. I think Whing has been a revelation since moving to CB and then defensive midfield, however, if it comes down to a choice between him and Chapman as the 'holding midfielder' I'd go with Chapman. He offers so much more in flair and quality. Isn't there any way we could play both?
Hard to drop Whing or Hall on their current form. If both were to play in midfield that would probably require Leven to add creativity leaving no space for Chapman. Alternatively, Whing could remain at right back (given Batt's recent poor disciplinary form) leaving space for a midfield of Chapman Hall and Leven....tough call for Wilder really.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I thought the subs were all wrong.

Should have taken off Leven who was out on his feet, whereas Chappie was still firing. That was the primary reason that the back line began to come under pressure.

Rendell was having a really good game but needed someone with speed and movement alongside. Johnson should have made way instead, switching to 4-4-2 with Morgan moving to wide left.

I don't agree that Midson was played centrally in a 4-4-2 early on. Allowing Midson to leave was biggest mistake of Wilder's reign so far.
bingobongo
Sperm

Post by bingobongo »

Chapman, poor?

We must have been at different games because I thought he was excellent. Played the anchor man superbly, sitting back in front of the defence when we didn't have the ball and sweeping up nicely. When he had the ball, he rarely if ever gave it away, played some very tight positive and intricate passes, and knocked a couple of decent long balls out to the wing too.

7.5/10 for me.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotAylesbury Rich&quot wrote:
&quotJohn Byrne's Underpants&quot wrote:
&quotA-Ro&quot wrote: I would rather have taken Leven off if I was going to take anybody, I thought he was very poor. Carrying an injury I am led to believe.
Hard to drop Whing or Hall on their current form. If both were to play in midfield that would probably require Leven to add creativity leaving no space for Chapman. Alternatively, Whing could remain at right back (given Batt's recent poor disciplinary form) leaving space for a midfield of Chapman Hall and Leven....tough call for Wilder really.
Is there a reason why Leven can't be dropped?
At present he's injured and a shadow of the player who scored &quotthat&quot goal. I would play Chapman ahead of Leven based on last two games.

If you would drop Batt for indiscipline, how many times has Dubes been booked? I bet you wouldn't drop him. Manager's job is to pick the best side to win each match .
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Post by Shoobedoo »

I thought Chapman was doing OK without being spectacular and was disappointed he was substituted.

Oli Johnson had a good 60 minutes but from then on looked dead on his feet and I would definitely have taken him off before Chapman.

I just thought we went defensive way too early, invited AFCW onto us in the last 15 minutes and it's no good Wilder complaining about it and getting frustrated because it was his defensive substitutions that caused us to lose our shape.

But - 3 points is the main thing.
Aylesbury Rich
Brat

Re:

Post by Aylesbury Rich »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotJohn Byrne's Underpants&quot wrote: Agreed. Our midfield looked poorer when he went off. I think Whing has been a revelation since moving to CB and then defensive midfield, however, if it comes down to a choice between him and Chapman as the 'holding midfielder' I'd go with Chapman. He offers so much more in flair and quality. Isn't there any way we could play both?
At present he's injured and a shadow of the player who scored &quotthat&quot goal. I would play Chapman ahead of Leven based on last two games.

If you would drop Batt for indiscipline, how many times has Dubes been booked? I bet you wouldn't drop him. Manager's job is to pick the best side to win each match .
No reason why Leven can't be dropped, however he does add something different. My personal view is that a midfield of Hall, Chapman and Whing would lack a bit of creativity.

I don't have the relative statistics to hand for bookings, but Duberry is such an integral part of the defence that dropping him for a few bookings would be extremely detrimental. I am a big fan of Batt, and feel that he does add an extra attacking dimension, but I would have no issues with Whing occupying the right back spot.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotAylesbury Rich&quot wrote: Hard to drop Whing or Hall on their current form. If both were to play in midfield that would probably require Leven to add creativity leaving no space for Chapman. Alternatively, Whing could remain at right back (given Batt's recent poor disciplinary form) leaving space for a midfield of Chapman Hall and Leven....tough call for Wilder really.

No reason why Leven can't be dropped, however he does add something different. My personal view is that a midfield of Hall, Chapman and Whing would lack a bit of creativity.

I don't have the relative statistics to hand for bookings, but Duberry is such an integral part of the defence that dropping him for a few bookings would be extremely detrimental. I am a big fan of Batt, and feel that he does add an extra attacking dimension, but I would have no issues with Whing occupying the right back spot.
On the midfield, Leven isn't fit or playing well at the moment so I would have Chappie in there instead.

With a fit Leven, he is our best midfielder, so he would go straight in. So it would become 2 from Chappie Whing and Hall. Even given his form, Hall would have to make way for Chappie who is the better player and Whing provides excellent shielding for the back four. Tough call though.

I certainly wasn't suggesting that we drop Duberry, who for my money has a shout for player of the season. I was just pointing out that if you apply a rule for one player, you have to apply it for all players and then the outcome isn't what you wanted to achieve. I agree with you on Batt's attributes. I think he has realised the error of his ways and I would much prefer him to Whing at right wing back. Whing has improved considerably throughout the season and is good cover for Batt, but his best position is in front of the back four.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

I thought Whing controlled the right back quadrant of the field better than the combination of Duberry and Batt which is what happened when Whing moved to midfield. The right back position was slightly weaker as was the central defence becasue Duberry was being pulled out of position.

As has been mentioned earlier, we still won but I felt those substitutions and positional changes weakened the side slightly and invited Wimbledon to com onto us more.