Green Gone for Good

Anything yellow and blue
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Green Gone for Good

Post by joepoolman »

http://www.oufc.co.uk/page/News/0,,1034 ... 49,00.html

I'm a little dissapointed, mainly because we're loosing a Wembley hero. But does anyone think he could play much of a part in this team? I doubt it. The only real mistake Wilder made in my opinion is Bulman, we missed him at times last year. But with even now this year I don't think he'd be a great deal of use for us.

In case anyone's interested I make it 6 of the fourteen that appeared at Wembley have left the club, with Clist out on loan. Well technically Green's still on loan but you know what I mean.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

Brace-scoring midfielder Danny Bulman? Yes I agree we have missed him, but I've always liked Clist as well and hope (against hope) that he can come back and do a job for us.

As for Green, I think he's found his true level.
Bushy
Toddler

Post by Bushy »

A shame, but none the less a good move by both parties. Unfortunately not good enough to hold that central strikers position in our league but very good in the conference.

I would like to think if he returned to the ground with another team he would receive a good reception.

All the best Matt.
Turn Byrney, turn.
Steppers
Brat

Post by Steppers »

I agree that when Bulman left and until McClaren (Sp?) joined last season we had a hole in midfield. But this year the midfield has really progressed with Levin.

I hoped Clist still had it early in the season, but the carling cup game showed up his flaws.

For me the starting XI has progressed no end from last year but I would still be happy if the following left and were upgraded.

Asa Hall (awful)
Tonkin (conference level)
Whing (no RB but decent cover for McClaren)

I want Josh Payne to succeed but not sure he will. We might be getting Purkiss back soon with Cooper gone at Darlo
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

And do we not also have the MOTM from Wembley still to return to fitness and become available?
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by joepoolman »

&quotSteppers&quot wrote: I want Josh Payne to succeed but not sure he will.
I have a lot of sympathy for Payne, I think he's a pretty decent player but we've bought Leven in who for me is the same as Payne but a bit better in every way. Still Leven could break his leg on Saturday so you'd hope Payne would stick around as cover.

On the topic of whether Green would get a good reception, I know that I would give a good reception to any player that played a significant part in the promotion season, I supose the only way to see if I represent everyone else is to wait for the visits of Crawley and Wimbledon later this season...
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Radley Rambler »

&quotjoepoolman&quot wrote:
I have a lot of sympathy for Payne, I think he's a pretty decent player but we've bought Leven in who for me is the same as Payne but a bit better in every way. Still Leven could break his leg on Saturday so you'd hope Payne would stick around as cover.

On the topic of whether Green would get a good reception, I know that I would give a good reception to any player that played a significant part in the promotion season, I supose the only way to see if I represent everyone else is to wait for the visits of Crawley and Wimbledon later this season...
I think there is no doubt that Midson and Bulman will get excellent receptions when they return as would Matt Green and rightly so. If you look at the regular Midson adulation on YellowForums, I'd imagine they'll need to hose down the stands after the AFC Wimbledon game such will be the excitement of the return of the prodigal son.......
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Green Gone for Good

Post by recordmeister »

&quotjoepoolman&quot wrote:http://www.oufc.co.uk/page/News/0,,1034 ... 49,00.html

I'm a little dissapointed, mainly because we're loosing a Wembley hero. But does anyone think he could play much of a part in this team? I doubt it. The only real mistake Wilder made in my opinion is Bulman, we missed him at times last year. But with even now this year I don't think he'd be a great deal of use for us.

In case anyone's interested I make it 6 of the fourteen that appeared at Wembley have left the club, with Clist out on loan. Well technically Green's still on loan but you know what I mean.
So you wouldn't call letting the league's top scorer* go a mistake? I would...

*at time of writing
Last edited by recordmeister on Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

I see Payne as good cover for Macca who clearly can't play 90mins. If we're looking to win a game / playing a shit team (Plymouth) then Payne comes on for Macca. If we're looking to shore-up the midfield and defend a lead, then hall comes on. Simples, innit.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:

*at time of writing
Not really, I love Midson and wouldn't have let him go, but I'd still say that Beano is a better number 9 for me.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

*at time of writing
Not really, I love Midson and wouldn't have let him go, but I'd still say that Beano is a better number 9 for me.
I wouldn't disagree with that. But a season isn't about a 1st XI, it's about a squad. And I'd dare say Mido was bloody good back-up. And if nothing else, keeping him as back-up (as per his contract), stops a fellow promotion cashing team from letting him become their top scorer and the leagues top scorer... It's a tight division and you have to do all you can to win, win, win.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

&quotjoepoolman&quot wrote:http://www.oufc.co.uk/page/News/0,,1034 ... 49,00.html

*at time of writing
Nope if you are going to play 4-3-3 with a certain Mr R Hall occupying one of those berths. 4-2-2 is a different matter and Jack could fit in there but that isn't how Wilder plays and in Wilder I trust*.

*For now and like any other fickle football fan I reserve the right to change my mind after one bad result and call for his head :)
The Boys from Up the Hill
Brat

Post by The Boys from Up the Hill »

I don't think it was a mistake to let Midson go. Yes he's the league's top goalscorer at Wimbledon, but he wouldn't be if he was still here. I suspect he'd have had a similar season to the last one, in and out of the side, scoring irregularly and being loaned out. Well done to Wimbledon for getting the most out of him, but he'd never have done it here.
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

I agree with above and am sure you're right, but where does the buck stop, whose fault is that?

Ours for not recognising the talent, ours for not giving him the chance regardless, ours for not playing a way to accommodate him?

Or Jack's for not training well enough to force his way in, for not making himself undroppable, or Jack's for not caring less about Oxford?

There was nothing wrong with signing Histon's best player, and glimpses of talent were there when he had chances. Disastrous games or even runs? Not many. I don't think we'll keep Robbie Hall forever, Pittman didn't work out, Smalley hasn't yet. I wish we'd only loaned Jack out for the season.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Radley Rambler »

&quotBigCrompy&quot wrote:I agree with above and am sure you're right, but where does the buck stop, whose fault is that?

Ours for not recognising the talent, ours for not giving him the chance regardless, ours for not playing a way to accommodate him?

Or Jack's for not training well enough to force his way in, for not making himself undroppable, or Jack's for not caring less about Oxford?

There was nothing wrong with signing Histon's best player, and glimpses of talent were there when he had chances. Disastrous games or even runs? Not many. I don't think we'll keep Robbie Hall forever, Pittman didn't work out, Smalley hasn't yet. I wish we'd only loaned Jack out for the season.
Not sure how that would work in the club's favour - wasn't he on a 2 year deal which would have been up at the end of this season anyway?