England National XI

Anything yellow and blue
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

England National XI

Post by DLT »

Again not an Oxford player insight.

Three from Stevenage (hardly a surprise considering Fairclough is boss), two from D&ampR. Even Stafford and FGR have players team.

Is this a reflection on our player quality or are we being snubbed?
headless_pnub
Brat

Post by headless_pnub »

Considering in their first squad the only Oxford players they picked were Yemi and Dempster, neither of whom at the time were in our starting line-up, I don't think they are the best judge of a player.
Either that or Jim's told them they can't have any of the starting 11, which is a possibility.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Hmm, I wonder how many of our first team qualify for the National XI. The qualifications are non-league player, under 24 (I think), and English (in the usual farce of whatever that means).

Quinn is Irish. Corcoran is Irish. Gilchrist is too old. Brevett/Johnson are too old. Burgess I think is too old. Duffy is Welsh. Grebis is Latvian. Foster is too old. Turley is too old. Tardif is too old.

So of our regular and fit first XI players that only leaves Yemi, Fast Eddie, and Rose.

Rose has only just started playing first team football. Eddie isn't good enough.

That only leaves Yem who was picked as a standby player.

No doubt someone will come up with all sorts of reasons why the above is utter drivel.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Presumably Rose isn't a non-league player either, as he's only on loan.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by DLT »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Hmm, I wonder how many of our first team qualify for the National XI. The qualifications are non-league player, under 24 (I think), and English (in the usual farce of whatever that means).

Quinn is Irish. Corcoran is Irish. Gilchrist is too old. Brevett/Johnson are too old. Burgess I think is too old. Duffy is Welsh. Grebis is Latvian. Foster is too old. Turley is too old. Tardif is too old.

So of our regular and fit first XI players that only leaves Yemi, Fast Eddie, and Rose.

Rose has only just started playing first team football. Eddie isn't good enough.

That only leaves Yem who was picked as a standby player.

No doubt someone will come up with all sorts of reasons why the above is utter drivel.
you need more clients GY.

Never realised the limitations of selection.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

But Dempster was picked for the first squad, and he's Scottish, isn't he?
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotJimski&quot wrote:But Dempster was picked for the first squad, and he's Scottish, isn't he?
No he's English according to soccerbase. There are 2 other John Dempsters listed who both are Scottish though. One who played for Stranraer and St Mirren in 2001 and 2002 and one who signed for Stenhousemuir in January.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

But our John Dempster has played for the Scotland under-21s, I believe.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotboris&quot wrote:But our John Dempster has played for the Scotland under-21s, I believe.
According to the official site, he is English.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

So's John Aldridge.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotboris&quot wrote:So's John Aldridge.
Yes and Ray Houghton is Irish apparently.