Is there life on Mars?

Anything yellow and blue
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotRadley Rambler&quot wrote:Couple of things:

Duffy - I can not understand the criticism of him. He got trod on (deliberately in my opinion) and as a result was limping for some time prior to being subbed. He has scored 19 goals (yes 19!) this season and that includes a month off where he was injured. I admit he can look a bit aloof at times but in the first 20 minutes yesterday he won more in the air than Robinson and Grebis did for the rest of the game combined. As for Robinson's missed header from 3 yards, Duffy would have scored that. Goals this season, Duffy 19, Obudabe 7, Robinson 1, Grebis 0. Leave him alone. As for Grebis, I'm now totally convinced he is a waste of time.

If we are going to go up, we will need Duffy's goals - no-one else is going to contribute sufficiently so I suggest we all support him rather than have a go at the most prolific scorer we have had since Paul Moody. He scored lots of penalties - no-one had a go at him.

Stewarding - Why did they all disappear with 5 minutes to go so that the neanderthals on both sides could square up and raise the 'atmosphere' - very odd.
&quotHe has scored 19 goals (yes 19!)&quot

Err, no.

Duffy's scored 17 - http://www.soccerbase.com/players_detai ... erid=41821 and seven of those where penalties.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:These people really disgust me and I don't understand why any who are caught cannot be forced to sign in at the cop shop on match days to keep them away from football matches.
What, and make the police do some work? I can see that happening.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:

Duffy - I can not understand the criticism of him. He got trod on (deliberately in my opinion) and as a result was limping for some time prior to being subbed. He has scored 19 goals (yes 19!) this season and that includes a month off where he was injured. I admit he can look a bit aloof at times but in the first 20 minutes yesterday he won more in the air than Robinson and Grebis did for the rest of the game combined. As for Robinson's missed header from 3 yards, Duffy would have scored that. Goals this season, Duffy 19, Obudabe 7, Robinson 1, Grebis 0. Leave him alone. As for Grebis, I'm now totally convinced he is a waste of time.

If we are going to go up, we will need Duffy's goals - no-one else is going to contribute sufficiently so I suggest we all support him rather than have a go at the most prolific scorer we have had since Paul Moody. He scored lots of penalties - no-one had a go at him.

Stewarding - Why did they all disappear with 5 minutes to go so that the neanderthals on both sides could square up and raise the 'atmosphere' - very odd.

Err, no.

Duffy's scored 17 - http://www.soccerbase.com/players_detai ... erid=41821 and seven of those where penalties.
Duffy has actualy scored 19 goals.

18 for us of which 8 were penalties, and 1 own goal, which probably costs us 3 pionts as against 1 point.

A net return of ||9 from open play.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

According to the Rage Online databank, Duffy has scored 19 goals (for us) this season - 16 in the league, and 3 in Cup competitions.

Don't know where the rest of you are getting your stats from...
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Duffy wasn't on for long enough to judge his perforamcne today. I saw the stamp on him which went unpunished, but I missed the split second prior to that. However, the Aldershot player in question intimated to the linesman that Duffy had been the first to stamp. Neither player was sanctioned so make your own minds up. I'd like to see a video replay though.
My recollection of the incident was that Duffy pretty much rugby tackled the Aldershot player who then stamped on Duffy on his way back up.
Grebis seemed to have very little vision. A couple of times he found himself in a forward position with the ball and few defenders around him. The latter of those times, Foster made a brilliant run down the right and a simple pass would have put Foster through with a great chance of ensuring we won the game. Grebis tried to take on his man and failed.
Not sure if this was a lack of vision or just simple greed. I can understand him really wanting to get a goal, but Foster was definitely the better option in that example.

Speaking as someone who hates 4-3-3 as anything other than a last resort, I was impressed with how we made it work in the first half. Just a pity we didn't turn that advantage into goals.

Don't know what happened in the second half though - right from the off we started to look second best and really threw it away in the last 15 mins (apart from the late rally after the equaliser).

As for the fans, I thought Aldershot were magnificent. The way they responded after our goal was superb and put us to shame. They may need some drummers to get things going, but they did so for 90 mins.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by ty cobb »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:

Err, no.

18 for us of which 8 were penalties, and 1 own goal, which probably costs us 3 pionts as against 1 point.

You really are letting your dislike of Duffy make you look rather silly. Using your rather stange way of working out that he has scored ||9 from open play you can't argue that he cost us 3 points with his own goal as he scored 2 in the game that he scored the own goal therefore giving him a net total of 1.

I think the second half yesterday showed how important he is to us. We did not hold the ball up at all in the second half. They pushed loads forwards and we were not clever enough to use the space this left at the back.

I thought a draw was a fair result - they should have had a pen for Eddies challenge and had by far the best of the second half.

Cracking atmosphere, I thought the Oxford fans outsung Aldershot all through the game and its only their drum that makes them sound loud - without it they were very quiet and even with it we outsang them with Aldershi*.

I quite enjoy a bit of tension being in the air, its easy enough to avoid trouble and the atmosphere is much improved.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote: &quotHe has scored 19 goals (yes 19!)&quot

Err, no.

You really are letting your dislike of Duffy make you look rather silly. Using your rather stange way of working out that he has scored ||9 from open play you can't argue that he cost us 3 points with his own goal as he scored 2 in the game that he scored the own goal therefore giving him a net total of 1.

I think the second half yesterday showed how important he is to us. We did not hold the ball up at all in the second half. They pushed loads forwards and we were not clever enough to use the space this left at the back.

I thought a draw was a fair result - they should have had a pen for Eddies challenge and had by far the best of the second half.

Cracking atmosphere, I thought the Oxford fans outsung Aldershot all through the game and its only their drum that makes them sound loud - without it they were very quiet and even with it we outsang them with Aldershi*.

I quite enjoy a bit of tension being in the air, its easy enough to avoid trouble and the atmosphere is much improved.
I think you're taking this a bit too seriously Ty and the smallest bait is enough to get you to bite. :D

I don't dislike Duffy, I just think he gets far too many plaudits because of this stat of 18 goals or 19 goals or whatever the official figure is (I got mine from the official site by adding the number of goals up, but I could easily have made a mistake as it was done in a hurry). Its a meaningless stat on its own as has been shown, albeit that you don't accept that line of argument. He's a Joe Average striker in the top tier of non-league, who has scored a good average number of goals from open play, and has a better strike rate than many we have signed n recent years. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you wish to continue believing him to be a goal scoring machine god, that's fine by me.

I don't think Duffy's presence in the second half, or indeed most of the first half which we dominated anyway without him, would have made much difference as our inaccurate final balls into the box was the main reason we didn't convert more chances.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

http://www.rageonline.co.uk/mainpage.ph ... urrent=yes

A lot of goals, but yes, he is lazy.

But he's definitely our best finisher.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

GY, it always amuses me when you accuse of someone taking things too seriously and then post a lengthly reply on the subject stating nonsense like I think Duffy is a god to suit your argument.

I think with Duffy on the pitch instead of either Grebis or Marv we'd have scored a second and hence won the game. Both players had enough opptunities to either score/play someone in for us to increase our lead. They also could not hold the ball up at all and hence we were under the cosh all of the second half as we just weren't able to keep the ball for more then 2 minutes when a bit of possesion football could have taken the sting out the game.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:GY, it always amuses me when you accuse of someone taking things too seriously and then post a lengthly reply on the subject stating nonsense like I think Duffy is a god to suit your argument.

I think with Duffy on the pitch instead of either Grebis or Marv we'd have scored a second and hence won the game. Both players had enough opptunities to either score/play someone in for us to increase our lead. They also could not hold the ball up at all and hence we were under the cosh all of the second half as we just weren't able to keep the ball for more then 2 minutes when a bit of possesion football could have taken the sting out the game.
We were NOT under the cosh though. We were constantly breaking out and had plenty of spells of possession. Duffy was not missed in the slightest. He is a decent finisher but is not mobile enough.

GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:GY, it always amuses me when you accuse of someone taking things too seriously and then post a lengthly reply on the subject stating nonsense like I think Duffy is a god to suit your argument.
You see, you took the bait again. :lol:

I don't see a lengthy reply from me. I put down a simple summary on my position so that your spin on my posting is not taken out of context.
&quotty cobb&quot wrote:I think with Duffy on the pitch instead of either Grebis or Marv we'd have scored a second and hence won the game. Both players had enough opptunities to either score/play someone in for us to increase our lead. They also could not hold the ball up at all and hence we were under the cosh all of the second half as we just weren't able to keep the ball for more then 2 minutes when a bit of possesion football could have taken the sting out the game.
All out of proportion. We dominated without Lord God Duffy. QED. As ResOx says, he wasn't missed at all.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

So we dominated but didn't score and you think we didn't miss him!!

I would suggest this demonstrates that we did miss Duffy, not that we didn't miss him given our two strikers on Sat haven't yet scored a goal between them for either the first team or the reserves.

Res Ox - do you think that Robinson is mobile?

As for Grebis he's mobile enough until he falls over after 10 yards.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:So we dominated but didn't score and you think we didn't miss him!!

I would suggest this demonstrates that we did miss Duffy, not that we didn't miss him given our two strikers on Sat haven't yet scored a goal between them for either the first team or the reserves.

Res Ox - do you think that Robinson is mobile?

As for Grebis he's mobile enough until he falls over after 10 yards.
All that means Ty, is that the other strikers are no better. It doesn't mean Duffer is the next Droghba. I think you'll find most of us agree with you that Duffer is the best we have. But even that doesn't make him the Jimmy Greaves of the non-league.
headless_pnub
Brat

Re:

Post by headless_pnub »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:I would suggest this demonstrates that we did miss Duffy, not that we didn't miss him given our two strikers on Sat haven't yet scored a goal between them for either the first team or the reserves.
I hate to be pedantic, or get involved in someone elses argument, but Robinson has scored. It may only be 1 and I don't disagree with your point, but I think the way you made it was incorrect and you should check your facts before making it.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotheadless_pnub&quot wrote:
&quotty cobb&quot wrote:I would suggest this demonstrates that we did miss Duffy, not that we didn't miss him given our two strikers on Sat haven't yet scored a goal between them for either the first team or the reserves.
I hate to be pedantic, or get involved in someone elses argument, but Robinson has scored. It may only be 1 and I don't disagree with your point, but I think the way you made it was incorrect and you should check your facts before making it.
No - don't hesitate - get stuck in - much more fun.