Michael Duberry signs...

Anything yellow and blue
deanwindass
Puberty

Michael Duberry signs...

Post by deanwindass »

for 2 years.

Not sure about this one given his age and how rubbish he was at Wycombe but in Wilder we Trust!
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

As a previous mild cynic of this proposed signing I do want to be on record as saying...good luck Michael, loved you at Leeds, and I certainly hope for the best! But I'd mainly like to see you in a supervisory role for two proteges, James and Worley, and still secretly wonder why we'd move Creighton on and replace him with a player six years older!

Please prove me wrong!
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

Oh. Dear.
wightyellow
Puberty

Re:

Post by wightyellow »

&quotJoeyBeauchamp&quot wrote:Oh. Dear.
oh. dear. oh dear.

Not sure about this one. :?
It's not the despair....it's the hope....
Long John Silver
Brat

Re:

Post by Long John Silver »

&quotBigCrompy&quot wrote:As a previous mild cynic of this proposed signing I do want to be on record as saying...good luck Michael, loved you at Leeds, and I certainly hope for the best! But I'd mainly like to see you in a supervisory role for two proteges, James and Worley, and still secretly wonder why we'd move Creighton on and replace him with a player six years older!

Please prove me wrong!
It's not a secret any longer.
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Re:

Post by Joey's Toe »

I'd... still secretly wonder why we'd move Creighton on and replace him with a player six years older!
I suspect there's an implicit acknowledgment here by Wilder that letting Creighton go was a bit of an error, and the lack of experience probably cost us.

The comments from Wycombe fans are a bit worrying, but every player has a poor spell in their career. If he's still got just 10% of the old magic, and can rediscover his form, this could yet work out. The two-year deal here may be a sensible thing in that respect - he'll be settled, not needing to look over his shoulder and, presumably (given his age), sees this as a route into coaching.
wightyellow
Puberty

Post by wightyellow »

He must be on a big ol wedge as well.

Hmmmm :?
It's not the despair....it's the hope....
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Duberry looks like he's lost a fair amount of weight to me.

Looks lean and fit. I hope the signing works out for us.

He's certainly experienced and played at a much higher level and I would not worry about him playing at Accrington in the middle of winter either.

IN WILDER WE TUST.
Aylesbury Rich
Brat

Post by Aylesbury Rich »

At the risk of being controversial I think this is an excellent signing. I am a fan of both Wright and Worley, but neither are experienced at league level, and Duberry certainly has that. He may not be as mobile as he was 10 years ago, but how many lower league teams rely on an older pro to shore up the defence.

As far as I can see, Duberry had one bad season at Wycombe (in league 1) when he was playing in a very average team. Wilder correctly identified that it was the defence that needed improvement for this season and bringing in an experienced centre half along with two class full backs is exactly what was needed. I could be wrong, but I think this is a fantastic coup.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

&quotJoey's Toe&quot wrote:The two-year deal here may be a sensible thing in that respect - he'll be settled, not needing to look over his shoulder and, presumably (given his age), sees this as a route into coaching.
I disagree - giving two year deals to 35 year olds last seen wandering around the reserve teams of Scottish strugglers is hardly the way we want to be going.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotJoeyBeauchamp&quot wrote:
I disagree - giving two year deals to 35 year olds last seen wandering around the reserve teams of Scottish strugglers is hardly the way we want to be going.
Reserve team? He played 33 games in the SPL last season!
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:
Reserve team? He played 33 games in the SPL last season!
Still Scotland
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Re:

Post by Joey's Toe »

&quotJoey's Toe&quot wrote:The two-year deal here may be a sensible thing in that respect - he'll be settled, not needing to look over his shoulder and, presumably (given his age), sees this as a route into coaching.
I think you've rather misrepresented my point that (or at the very least taken it out of context).

My point was that his bad spell at Wycombe (and perhaps at St. Johnstone as well) could be attributed to the short-termism of the deals, and the uncertainty that brings. A longer contract, perhaps also accompanied by assurances of support in developing his coaching, could make for a happier, more motivated and better player.

His age is a worry - but put in its proper context, it isn't necessarily a big one.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

Wow. A signing of a player I have to admit I've actually heard of and seen on the telly. I hope he works out. I guess time will tell...
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotJoey's Toe&quot wrote:
I'd... still secretly wonder why we'd move Creighton on and replace him with a player six years older!
I suspect there's an implicit acknowledgment here by Wilder that letting Creighton go was a bit of an error, and the lack of experience probably cost us.
When discussing experienced centre backs, are people here seriously comparing Mark Creighton and Michael Duberry?

Creighton has seven (count 'em) football league appearances in his entire career. Seven. Duberry has almost 300 (of which about half in the Premier League) plus another 50 odd in the SPL.

Duberry played in a defence which kept clean sheets against Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen, amongst several others, last season. Creighton played in a defence which conceded 7 at home to Gateshead.

Anyway, I think this could be a good signing. We're crying out for an experienced head at the back. And I'm not worried about his age - central defenders can generally go on a bit longer than others. And I bet he's still quicker than Creighton :shock: