Will They come knocking?

Anything yellow and blue
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by tomoufc »

&quotSackcloth Ox&quot wrote:
&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:I think it's been fairly obvious I am not a huge Wilder fan and have been critical of the within-season loan-driven team disruptions, but I'd be really unhappy if we had a shift of manager now. As various people have remarked, he has an &quotimprovement plan&quot ... and there is some sort of continuity now: even with the clear out, there is still a core of players who &quotknow the plan&quot to develop the squad for next season. A new manager coming in will start the whole process again - just like with Wilder, all those players won't be &quothis players&quot and so we'll be back to wholesale rebuilding. Continuity makes a big difference at our level.
I really do not understand why our supporters should NOT be huge fans of our current manager. I keep on harking back to December 2008 and the real mess our club was in.

To me, Wilder ranks in the top three of United managers with only Arthur Turner and Jim Smith outranking him. Yes, he has his faults but compare and contrast May2011 with Decmeber 2008!

BTW no way will Wilder go to Sheff Utd. His background is too similar to Adams. Expect some Carlos Kickaball type coach for the Blades , 'for a change'.
Agree
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

http://www.rageonline.co.uk/mainpage.ph ... pe=manager

Played 129
Won 66
Drawn 29
Lost 34

Day takes over: 13th in conference
End of 1st (half) season: 7th in conference (after 5pt deduction) - best finish for 2 years
End of 2nd season: 3rd in conference, playoff winners - best finish for 4 years*
End of 3rd season: 12th in League 2 - best finish for 7 years

Yeah, he's complete crap :roll:

* personally, I consider coming 3rd and winning the playoffs a better finish than coming 2nd and losing them
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Sackcloth Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Sackcloth Ox »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:No strong favourite yet.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/foo ... nt-manager
Ray Wilkins 25/1

:roll:
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotSackcloth Ox&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:No strong favourite yet.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/foo ... nt-manager
Ray Wilkins 25/1

:roll:
A friend of mine works at Chelsea and when Wilkins was appointed and remarked to him that &quotI was so desperate to get back in to football, I was even considering a job at Ipswich&quot

If Wilkins feels that &quoteven... Ipswich&quot was as low as he'd go at the time, I can't see him taking over at a L1 side, no matter how big their fan base.
Tabbernackle
Brat

Post by Tabbernackle »

I am indeed a very young fan. ( I've been rattled) Taking on board other posts on this subject I do realise that now is not a good time to change the manager. So I just hope that the freedom -and money- he gets from his employers that he can come up with better players that he's getting rid of. and stuff.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotSackcloth Ox&quot wrote:To me, Wilder ranks in the top three of United managers with only Arthur Turner and Jim Smith outranking him.
When I read this I immediately thought &quotWhat about Ian Greaves?&quot so I checked the (RO) stats.

CW W 51% D 22% L 26%
IG W 44% D 30% L 26%

So CW is definitely better than IG but how does he compare against the other two.

JS W 49% D 27% L 23%

So again IG can't hold a candle but what about the much loved and praised AT?

AT W 43% D 24% L 33%

IG sneaks in.

I feel a stat fest coming on.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

I know you've been hanging on with bated breath. I've been busy.

B****cks
B****cks
B****cks

No matter what I try to do the final submission collapses all the spaces into one and makes my lovely table look like crap.

Does anyon know how to make a table look like a table on here.

Thanks.

BTW CW is officially the best manager we've ever had.
Roo
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Roo »

Just to play devils advocate (I do actually think that Wilder is the best manager we have had since Denis N.E.M. Smith) shouldn't the results be weighted in some way depending upon which division we were in at the time.....some sort of 'par' or 'handicap system is what I am thinking about.

BTW I have no intention of working one out.........!
SteMerritt
Puberty

Re:

Post by SteMerritt »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote: Does anyon know how to make a table look like a table on here.
Bug admin to turn on the HTML?
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotRoo&quot wrote:Just to play devils advocate (I do actually think that Wilder is the best manager we have had since Denis N.E.M. Smith) shouldn't the results be weighted in some way depending upon which division we were in at the time.....some sort of 'par' or 'handicap system is what I am thinking about.

BTW I have no intention of working one out.........!
No.

It's just as hard (if not harder) winning in the conference with crap players as it is winning in the top flight with John Aldridge, Dean Saunders and Billy Hamilton.

And DNEMSO isn't even in the top ten.
Roo
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Roo »

Good point actually!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

html now turned on. Knock yourselves out.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotadmin&quot wrote:html now turned on. Knock yourselves out.
Will it still be on tomorrow? I'm not at work now. I could email or pm the table to someone.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:It's just as hard (if not harder) winning in the conference with crap players as it is winning in the top flight with John Aldridge, Dean Saunders and Billy Hamilton.
Hmm, I'm not sure about that. Is it really harder to win regularly in a division where your player budget is among the highest (as CW has done) than in one where your player budget is among the lowest? Sure, results are all that ultimately matter, but managers with less money to spend relative to opponents are surely handicapped in some way.

Therefore it could easily be argued that Denis Smith's achievement of finishing second in Div 3 is greater than Wilder's of finishing second in Div 5. In fact it would be harder to argue otherwise, wouldn't it?

To rank managers solely by win percentage is far too simplistic when deciding who is the best. Are you really saying that you think Chris Wilder is the best manager this football club has ever had?