Snake
Grumpy old git

LSD

Post by Snake »

Transfer listed.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Shame. He's one of the few players that can make things happen. Not the finished article by any means, but he's young and can be exciting to watch.

Wilder seems not to like his attitude though. Maybe he's just trying to give him a kick up the arse?
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Very much a shame. But the usual, &quotwe don't know what goes on on the training ground&quot obviously applies.
CW seems to have got it right other times.

Perhaps he has not forgiven Sam for being late a couple of times.

I think we could have done with him last Saturday - small and nippy seemed to be having the most success. Sammy &amp Potter would not have been worse than what we ended up with. And I have never been able to fault Sammy for his work rate and tracking back.

Funny, when Sam got his leg broken CW said I've lost my best player. Our squad is much stronger than it was back then but this is some fall from grace.

Talking of the other small and nippy - still on bail. That can't be helping &amp who knows where things could end up. Perhaps no small and nippies left.
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

Real shame, but I'm more unhappy with LSD himself than Wilder.

I really hope he gets to fulfill his potential at Orient..if he goes.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

The official site says something like “Oxford United midfielder Sam Deering has been transfer-listed after limited opportunities for the U's first team this season.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

It might be a commercial decision. A young player, with talent and some decent experience, probably worth good money. Listed now, should sell at the beginning of the January window and give Wilder some dosh to buy someone who really fits his plans.
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Re:

Post by Joey's Toe »

I think the truth lies somewhere between this:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:The background to this development is mainly speculation, but we’ve seen talent wasted before due to the personal circumstances/attitude of the player involved and the attitude/reaction our manager (whoever it has been) adopts to that kind of situation
...and this:
&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:It might be a commercial decision. A young player, with talent and some decent experience, probably worth good money. Listed now, should sell at the beginning of the January window and give Wilder some dosh to buy someone who really fits his plans.
I'm sure that Sam's attitude has played a big part. There are plenty of other players who are on the fringe of the side or out of favour, but who haven't been listed - one has to ask what it is about Sam that makes Wilder think he's better to get rid. I would wager a fair sum that LSD has a touch of Barney Big Bollocks to his attitude, and Wilder doesn't like it.

Plus, as Smiley Man has said, any receipt from the sale could be usefully spent elsewhere, and if Wilder has a player in mind then it's pretty much a no-brainer.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

&quotSwissbloke&quot wrote:Real shame, but I'm more unhappy with LSD himself than Wilder.

I really hope he gets to fulfill his potential at Orient..if he goes.
This is spot on - if LSD is sold, for footballing/behavioural reasons, then it is 100% his own fault.

As we have Potter, notwithstanding the bail issue mentioned, I can't see where Sam would fit into this side given his record with fitness, performance and commitment. Needs to take a long hard look at himself.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Perhaps LSD asked for a transfer due to not getting the opportunities.
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

I figured something was up when he didn't even get on the bench last week. There have been a few rumours about his attitude at times so I'm not completely surprised and to be honest where's he going to fit in to the team currently?

Good luck to him wherever he goes, certainly I'll have fond memories of him, not least because of that contribution to the third Wembly goal.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Am I the only one who thinks Potter is massively overrated by our fans. He rarely beats a man and when he does his final ball is often poor. Every time I see LSD he demands the ball gets involved and does something useful with it. He’s always impressed me when he’s come on as sub under Wilder and on the few times he’s started he’s looked good, and I don’t think has been given a chance and the formation we play with doesn’t help him.

To be honest I really couldn’t care what happens on the training pitch, if you’re doing the business on the pitch you must be doing something right off it. Clearly he has an attitude problem, a lot of top players do, and it is somewhat frustrating that instead of smoothing off the rough edges, when faced with a difficult and very talented young player Wilder gets rid.

Not that I don’t think Wilder is an awesome manager and we’re lucky to have him.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Potter is massively overrated by our fans. He rarely beats a man and when he does his final ball is often poor. Every time I see LSD he demands the ball gets involved and does something useful with it. He’s always impressed me when he’s come on as sub under Wilder and on the few times he’s started he’s looked good, and I don’t think has been given a chance and the formation we play with doesn’t help him.

To be honest I really couldn’t care what happens on the training pitch, if you’re doing the business on the pitch you must be doing something right off it. Clearly he has an attitude problem, a lot of top players do, and it is somewhat frustrating that instead of smoothing off the rough edges, when faced with a difficult and very talented young player Wilder gets rid.

Not that I don’t think Wilder is an awesome manager and we’re lucky to have him.
Potter rarely beats his man?

Come and see me before the next match and I'll lend you some matchsticks. These will help you keep your eyes open during the game. :wink:

Seriously, Potter is a class act.

And I think losing LSD will come back to bite us on the bum.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Would the club be entitled to some sort of youth development sell-on clause like Torquay had with Matt Green?

Funnily when you look at the BBC story on this, it has &quotSee also :- Deering vital to Oxford - Wilder&quot

I think this is possibly another Wilder / player falling out, as Deering has been a good sub. Also has Kelvin stuck hard to the playing squad budget and won't allow Wilder to sign anyone without letting someone go first? Wasn't Deering first recommended by Kelvin too?

For all Wilder's nous in finding players from all over the country and persuading them to join our club, it seems he has a stubborness which leads to fallings out with seemingly no return.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:For all Wilder's nous in finding players from all over the country and persuading them to join our club, it seems he has a stubborness which leads to fallings out with seemingly no return.
I don't see that being a problem - many top managers have a zero tolerance mentality with players and it could be argued that LSD had had more than his fair share of chances.

More of a worry is that CW seems to mistrust almost every player that was here before him and so ships them out at the first opportunity (apart from Beano). It almost cost us last season. Then again, I suppose after they've all gone it'll be OK!
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:Would the club be entitled to some sort of youth development sell-on clause like Torquay had with Matt Green?
Oxford will definitely be entitled to compensation if LSD goes on a free transfer, but I suspect that United will be looking to get a fee for him.