Daylight Robbery In OX4 !

Anything yellow and blue
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Daylight Robbery In OX4 !

Post by OUFC4eva »

Police looking for group of suspects, mainly young men wearing crimson outfits and one with a bandana who brazenly nicked three points in the Oxford East area this afternoon. Their leader - Mr Knill has already admitted being in the said area and has pleaded his innocence to the said theft.

'Phone crime stoppers on 0845 123123 if you witnessed this act and can supply any information which may lead to the offenders being apprehended.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Agree, but somehow it didn't feel like a defeat.

Anyone else have that rather odd feeling of not being too disappointed?
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:Agree, but somehow it didn't feel like a defeat.

Anyone else have that rather odd feeling of not being too disappointed?
Yes. If we play like that for the rest of the season we will definitely win more games than we lose.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

On the way back to the car I had a brief chat with a Bury fan and his lad. He reckoned on that performance we wouldn't get relegated {well tfft!} but also didn't think we would get promoted either.

This is quite a different team to the one that started last season which was very defensive, with however many clean sheets in a row. This year I think we will score a lot of goals, and concede a lot too.

On the BBC football main page they had three minutes of the goals of the week from league and Carling Cup. None of ours were featured, but the others were very good, and I think emphasises that there is a step up from Conference to L2, and an even bigger one is needed to move onwards.

Still, so long as Wilder doesn't bugger off to Sheffield United taking half the squad with him, I think we should be OK.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotslappy&quot wrote: Still, so long as Wilder doesn't bugger off to Sheffield United taking half the squad with him, I think we should be OK.
He's a Sheff Utd fan. If offered the job I'm sure he would take it. But it's a big step up. The question is would they offer it to him. If he went he wouldn't take half the squad with him. As I said it's a big step up.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

That bit of news has ruined what should have been a satisfying and restful night’s sleep for me. There I was looking forward to a curry delivered to our door at ten thirty and watching the first MotD of the season but now I go and read that...

The next thing you know the person who runs the finances at Wigan Warriors will ‘move on’ and Kelvin’s wife will be nagging him about how much more money he could allocate her if only they moved up North (where shopping is much cheaper than in Yarnton) and we’ll be left with Mickey Lewis (no offence intended) and Firoka’s most senior catering/hotel manager (offence fully intended) to run our shop.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotslappy&quot wrote: Still, so long as Wilder doesn't bugger off to Sheffield United taking half the squad with him, I think we should be OK.
He's a Sheff Utd fan. If offered the job I'm sure he would take it. But it's a big step up. The question is would they offer it to him. If he went he wouldn't take half the squad with him. As I said it's a big step up.
We are talking about a manager here who has NEVER won a league game, moving up to the Champ, right? I know it happened with Clough, but apparently he had some family connections or something...

Anyway, as for today- it's simply summed by saying that we would have won, if we'd taken our chances. Or more specifically, if Beano had taken his chances.

Catches win matches, as they say in cricket.
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Re: Daylight Robbery In OX4 !

Post by Yankee Clipper »

&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:Police looking for group of suspects, mainly young men wearing crimson outfits and one with a bandana who brazenly nicked three points in the Oxford East area this afternoon. Their leader - Mr Knill has already admitted being in the said area and has pleaded his innocence to the said theft.

'Phone crime stoppers on 0845 123123 if you witnessed this act and can supply any information which may lead to the offenders being apprehended.
I thought Bury were better than that. It was a decent game of football between two sides that should finish in the top ten. At times it was a good advert for the Division. There is a lot to like about how we play but we've just got to wise up a little at the back and take our chances up front. Agreed we will win more than we lose playing like that and hope that the defeat toughens us up a bit.

Problem is we have a tough away game next week and if we are sat on 1 pt from 9 then the anxiety will start to appear and the pressure on the players will build for the Accrington game.

We need to stay balanced and this team will be fine.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Bury are a decent passing side. Nothing like the long ball merchants that they have a reputation for.

First half they had more posession but didn't produce many chances. We produced more chances but had less of the play. Second half we dominated the game but failed to convert loads of gilt edged chances, including 4 very good opportunities for Beano, and they scored a break away goal when we were commendably searching for the winner.

On any other day we would have won that game by 2 or 3 clear goals, but we need to be tighter at the back to compensate for missed chances.

I'm not remotely dis-heartened by the result and I think we were in all essence robbesd of the result, even given Bury's decent play. We were the better side.
The OXman Cometh
Brat

Re:

Post by The OXman Cometh »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:That bit of news has ruined what should have been a satisfying and restful night’s sleep for me. There I was looking forward to a curry delivered to our door at ten thirty and watching the first MotD of the season but now I go and read that...

The next thing you know the person who runs the finances at Wigan Warriors will ‘move on’ and Kelvin’s wife will be nagging him about how much more money he could allocate her if only they moved up North (where shopping is much cheaper than in Yarnton) and we’ll be left with Mickey Lewis (no offence intended) and Firoka’s most senior catering/hotel manager (offence fully intended) to run our shop.
Yarnton! Please explain?
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Bury are a decent passing side. Nothing like the long ball merchants that they have a reputation for.

First half they had more posession but didn't produce many chances. We produced more chances but had less of the play. Second half we dominated the game but failed to convert loads of gilt edged chances, including 4 very good opportunities for Beano, and they scored a break away goal when we were commendably searching for the winner.

On any other day we would have won that game by 2 or 3 clear goals, but we need to be tighter at the back to compensate for missed chances.

I'm not remotely dis-heartened by the result and I think we were in all essence robbesd of the result, even given Bury's decent play. We were the better side.
A very accurate summary, GY.
nerps
Baby

Post by nerps »

York were robbed by us on our first home game last season and look what happenned to them. So not all bad except of course we wouldn't lose at Wembley as history shows, we win all of our wembley games !!!
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Going with the general mood, I wasn't disheartened by yesterday, and if we are going to continue to play this way, it could be an entertaining season (albeit one with some big losses). It's really good to see players looking for space and looking to pass the ball into space. To say we were robbed, I think understates Bury - they did make some good chances and half chances, fooled us on a number of free kicks, looked dangerous (or we looked a bit inept) from set pieces and so on - and they also looked to exploit the space out wide that the 4-3-3- or 4-1-2-3 or whatever it is creates - it's the downside to the positives of that formation.

Anyone feel (as I do) that the double substitution was a pretty bad mistake? Green was blowing, admittedly, but Midson wasn't particulalry, and you removed any aerial threat we had when we were chasing the game and going back to long ball: hence Worley ending up at centre forward at the end (plus the defensive implications, too). Potter and Dearing may be sensible when we are ahead and the other side are chasing, to harry and break, but it's a bit lightweight when it us doing the chasing.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

yeah, I was surprised at the Midson substitution. I agreed that we needed to add some pace to the attack as Bury looked pretty vulnerable at the back, but Middo was having a superb game and, as AC says, gave us an aerial presence up front. If you want to bring on both Potter and Deering then I would have taken off Hall, who had a good game but was the least effective, imo, of the 3 midfielders.
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Re:

Post by Yankee Clipper »

&quotboris&quot wrote:yeah, I was surprised at the Midson substitution. I agreed that we needed to add some pace to the attack as Bury looked pretty vulnerable at the back, but Middo was having a superb game and, as AC says, gave us an aerial presence up front. If you want to bring on both Potter and Deering then I would have taken off Hall, who had a good game but was the least effective, imo, of the 3 midfielders.
Yep would tend to agree with that. I thought it was Hall and Green that were going off. Midson still had something to offer.