What amazing timing!

Anything yellow and blue
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

What amazing timing!

Post by recordmeister »

Another OUFC reveal their new look kit and logo, in Claret and Blue!

http://www.oaklandunitedfc.com/home

How funny is this!?!
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re: What amazing timing!

Post by Mally »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:Another OUFC reveal their new look kit and logo, in Claret and Blue!

How funny is this!?!
Funny how?
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Funny peculiar not funny &quotha ha&quot.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:Funny peculiar not funny &quotha ha&quot.
I see - I thought that you found American football amusing which it can be sometimes but there's a lot we can learn from them about their enthusiasm, organisation and professionalism at all levels of the game.
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Re:

Post by Yankee Clipper »

&quotMally&quot wrote:
&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:Funny peculiar not funny &quotha ha&quot.
I see - I thought that you found American football amusing which it can be sometimes but there's a lot we can learn from them about their enthusiasm, organisation and professionalism at all levels of the game.
And in all sports, Baseball is exceptionally well structured. From the control of players through the affiliate teams, roster structure and the various controls. Free Agency, Trades having to be sanctioned by MLB. Luxury Tax and the way that Merchandising profits are shared. Every team gets 1 x 30th of the value of every item sold. Therefore a small market team like Pittsburgh Pirates will make the same as The Yankees on every item of Yankee merchandise that is sold around the world.

Sorry you got me on my pet subject!! I could drone on for hours about Baseball. Still I'll stop now!!
Matthewjbutler
Brat

Re: What amazing timing!

Post by Matthewjbutler »

&quotMally&quot wrote:
&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:Another OUFC reveal their new look kit and logo, in Claret and Blue!

How funny is this!?!
Funny how?
Tough crowd!
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Ancient Colin »

&quotYankee Clipper&quot wrote: And in all sports, Baseball is exceptionally well structured.
Well, apart from the desparate need to restructure the divisions in the American League. The ALE is .576 against the West and Central even with the Birds 40-75. With only the division winners and one wild card going on, it means that an East side on 0.530 at the all star break is virtually at the end of their season and often means they trade away players before deadline. Either there needs to be more of a playoff structure (which will be resisted as that implies shortening the season) or a reallocation across divisions.
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Re:

Post by Yankee Clipper »

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:
&quotYankee Clipper&quot wrote: And in all sports, Baseball is exceptionally well structured.
Well, apart from the desparate need to restructure the divisions in the American League. The ALE is .576 against the West and Central even with the Birds 40-75. With only the division winners and one wild card going on, it means that an East side on 0.530 at the all star break is virtually at the end of their season and often means they trade away players before deadline. Either there needs to be more of a playoff structure (which will be resisted as that implies shortening the season) or a reallocation across divisions.

My original comment on the quality of the structure was more about the definition and control of the rosters (D/L, options, waivers, Rule 5 et al) and the degree of profit sharing in the game. The structure of the Divisions is another matter and one that there is no obvious solution to. The ALE is clearly the most powerful division and yes there is always the possibility, this year more than most that the team with the third best regular season record won’t make an 8 team playoff schedule. But I don’t agree that the third team in the ALE at the all star break will become a trading team. That is not in the nature of either the Yankees or Red Sox. However far out they are they can never be ignored. Even with the Red Sox 7 games back in the loss column I’m still considering this a three team race.

If MLB ever look to restructure, which would almost certainly only come with any future expansion. They will never separate the Yankees and Red Sox from the same division. It is without question the greatest rivalry in sport (Cue outrage from any non Baseball fans that have bothered to read this far) not to mention a cash cow to the sport. This gives even more credit to the growth of the Rays? Which was in no small part down to necessity just to compete with their Division rivals? There is also no doubt that the Blue Jays would be a much more competitive team in the Central. Having said all of that, I wouldn’t necessarily change anything at the moment, yes there is an imbalance but makes for some excellent regular season match ups and with 8 different World Series winners in the last 10 years the sport is still very competitive. There is not an ALE or even an AL stranglehold in the post season.
wightyellow
Puberty

Re:

Post by wightyellow »

&quotYankee Clipper&quot wrote:

My original comment on the quality of the structure was more about the definition and control of the rosters (D/L, options, waivers, Rule 5 et al) and the degree of profit sharing in the game. The structure of the Divisions is another matter and one that there is no obvious solution to. The ALE is clearly the most powerful division and yes there is always the possibility, this year more than most that the team with the third best regular season record won’t make an 8 team playoff schedule. But I don’t agree that the third team in the ALE at the all star break will become a trading team. That is not in the nature of either the Yankees or Red Sox. However far out they are they can never be ignored. Even with the Red Sox 7 games back in the loss column I’m still considering this a three team race.

If MLB ever look to restructure, which would almost certainly only come with any future expansion. They will never separate the Yankees and Red Sox from the same division. It is without question the greatest rivalry in sport (Cue outrage from any non Baseball fans that have bothered to read this far) not to mention a cash cow to the sport. This gives even more credit to the growth of the Rays? Which was in no small part down to necessity just to compete with their Division rivals? There is also no doubt that the Blue Jays would be a much more competitive team in the Central. Having said all of that, I wouldn’t necessarily change anything at the moment, yes there is an imbalance but makes for some excellent regular season match ups and with 8 different World Series winners in the last 10 years the sport is still very competitive. There is not an ALE or even an AL stranglehold in the post season.
Yawn...
It's not the despair....it's the hope....
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Re:

Post by Yankee Clipper »

&quotwightyellow&quot wrote:
&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote: Well, apart from the desparate need to restructure the divisions in the American League. The ALE is .576 against the West and Central even with the Birds 40-75. With only the division winners and one wild card going on, it means that an East side on 0.530 at the all star break is virtually at the end of their season and often means they trade away players before deadline. Either there needs to be more of a playoff structure (which will be resisted as that implies shortening the season) or a reallocation across divisions.

Yawn...
Wake up...There's a test
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

I was thinking of the Jays really in terms of trading and moving. You could hardly put the Rays in the Central.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

Blimey Colin, is there no end to your knowledge of obscure sports? :wink:
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Remember I lived in Toronto for a while. But you're right, I really should get out more ...
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Re:

Post by Yankee Clipper »

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:I was thinking of the Jays really in terms of trading and moving. You could hardly put the Rays in the Central.
I agree you can't put the Rays in the Central nor The Yanks or Red Sox. So how do you then balance it out. Would you bring a team back from the Central to the East and put an expansion team in the West. Or the expansion team in the East and move a team from Central to the West? Logistically that would be the Royals so nothing has really changed in the powerbase. Unless you split up New York and Boston you will never really achieve the goal of complete parity. And that ain't ever going to happen. And in reality nor should it.

Not sure what the latest talk is regarding expansion. Last I heard places like Portland or possibly somewhere like San Juan or Puerto Rico where being banded about.

I think it is more likely that the Rays and possibly Marlins might move out of Florida.

Portland Rays might give an interesting dynamic to the AL
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Hog »

If MLB ever look to restructure, which would almost certainly only come with any future expansion. They will never separate the Yankees and Red Sox from the same division. It is without question the greatest rivalry in the sport (Cue outrage from any non Baseball fans that have bothered to read this far) not to mention a cash cow to the sport. This gives even more credit to the growth of the Rays? Which was in no small part down to necessity just to compete with their Division rivals? There is also no doubt that the Blue Jays would be a much more competitive team in the Central. Having said all of that, I wouldn’t necessarily change anything at the moment, yes there is an imbalance but makes for some excellent regular season match ups and with 8 different World Series winners in the last 10 years the sport is still very competitive. There is not an ALE or even an AL stranglehold in the post season.
There, corrected for you.