Extra striker or Woodley?

Anything yellow and blue
TonyW
Sperm

Post by TonyW »

Honestly, at this point in time, I reckon talk about Woodley is something of a red herring.

Given the size of our current squad, can anyone see Woodley getting much of a run at the moment?
Assuming we play 4-3-3, he'll be 7th in line for one of the front three spots (Constable, Green, Midson, Potter, LSD, Cole). May get a seat on the bench because there's seven of them now, but can't see him getting a run out except possibly in mop-up duty when we're 3-0 up. :P

If we bring in another striker, I would have thought it's going to be because one of the six named above is not getting the job done and needs to be replaced.
I agree that we can probably afford to wait a month to see how those guys are shaping up, and to get an idea as to whether they can all adapt to league football. If one or more of them can't, and we're not scoring enough, then we bring in someone who can.
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Post by Joey's Toe »

Well, with the news that we've signed Philliskirk today for a month's loan from Chelsea, I think we've done the right thing. We've got an extra body to give everyone competition and maybe offer something a bit different - but it's for a short period, so Woodley can get his chance too.

I expect Woodley to appear for 5/10 minutes here and there, and a run-out in the good-old JPT so we can see what he can do. And in Philliskirk, we've hopefully got someone young and hungry who can keep Midson and Green on their toes. (Beano, of course, needs no such encouragement!).
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Wilder: &quotHe's a young prospect that I saw at Oldham as a kid ... &quot Sigh.
Out of the gloom
Puberty

Post by Out of the gloom »

First signing for this season I’ve been really disappointed with. See my first post.

Unless a club is prepared to give their own youngsters the opportunity to fail, none of them will ever succeed.

In saying that, I wish Danny Philliskirk well, as I would anyone in an Oxford shirt and look forward to seeing him in action.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

Nice move CW I think.

Woodley has not done well pre-season but the new kid on the block may only be around for a month so unlike a six-month or season long loan this may not completely demoralise him.
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Post by Joey's Toe »

Disagree with both of those posts!

If Wilder knows of him and thinks he's worth having for a month to cast a proper eye over, then surely that's a good thing, no? Presumably the reason for having him on an initial month is to make that sort of detailed assessment.

As for Woodley, I think he'll get his chance (see above), but his minimal involvement with the pre-season games maybe suggests he's still a bit of a way from breaking into the side. If that's the conclusion to which Wilder has come, then bringing in another short-term option might be the right call.