Extra striker or Woodley?

Anything yellow and blue
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Extra striker or Woodley?

Post by Joey's Toe »

My first proper thread on RO! :D

Looking at the squad, I'm still - like a lot of people - wondering whether we might be a bit light up front. Because strikers are creatures who experience highs and lows of form, I'm always of the opinion that you need more competition for places up front than elsewhere on the pitch.

Now, Beano, Greeny and Midson are all extremely good players (the first two probably exceptional players at this level). But I would argue that three strikers isn't going to be enough, particularly if we play an attacking formation like 4-3-3 on a regular basis.

I'm pleased to see Aaron Woodley being given a bit more consideration in pre-season. Promising young players need to be given a chance, and I think he now deserves his. But will that really be enough?

If Green were to get injured, Beano suspended and Midson to have a barren spell (all entirely plausible scenarios), would you want to put that much pressure on a young player like Woodley?

For me, we need at least one more striker. Wilder may well be looking for one - and it may be that we get someone in on a season-long loan closer to the first game - but are we leaving it a bit late?

Thoughts?
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Hi Mr Toe, and welcome to the forum.

I fully agree that we seem a bit lightweight up top. I know that Wilder has occasionally played Alfie as a striker, and that LSD can also play there, while Cole has sometimes played up front for Stevenage, but we do need another dedicated front man. I would expect us to sign a loan player rather than add to our squad (especially if Franks signs, which looks likely), but who that would be beats me. I'm sure Wilder is on the case, though. He doesn't strike me as a manager who sits on his laurels.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

With the likes of Constable and Green, CW has had some real successes at bringing in strikers on loan. I wonder if he might wait until towards the end of the first transfer or loan deadline, to see where there might be decent strikers for our level who are not getting games at their higher-level clubs and who might, once the season has started and finding themselves not playing much, be more willing to come to us on loan.

What puzzles me is why he is looking at yet another defender. I do not mean that in a 'does CW really know what he is doing' kind of way, but rather in the sense that it makes me wonder if maybe there may be a defender on his way out, freeing up a place for Franks and still leaving financial headroom to bring in at least one more player - a striker hopefully - in a few weeks.

And I think that would still leave openings for Woodley if he continues his progress, as a genuine 4-3-3, rather than 4-5-1 with attacking wide midfielders, is a pretty striker-heavy formation.
Out of the gloom
Puberty

Post by Out of the gloom »

Newbie to this forum too. Welcome. Two points are position and timing.

Position - our formation (whether you call it 433 or 451) has a central striker and two wide attackers. Centrally there is Constable and Midson plus Green if required. Wide there is Green, Potter, Deering and Cole plus Midson, depending on the specific match tactics.

Timing - I disagree that there is a need before the season starts. It would only show a vote in no confidence in Woodley, especially if the new signing was an unproven youngster on loan from a higher league club. Clearly things can change, if Green, Constable and Midson were unavailable and an experienced central striker was available, it is a no brainer.

For Woodley it is a matter of minutes on the pitch, mainly as substitute, rather than concentrate on which position. Perhaps coming on wide for the first team and developing in the central role for the youths and reserves. Like any other player, performances must earn him his place.
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Re:

Post by Joey's Toe »

&quotOut of the gloom&quot wrote:I disagree that there is a need before the season starts. It would only show a vote in no confidence in Woodley, especially if the new signing was an unproven youngster on loan from a higher league club.
A very good point, and not one which had occurred to me previously.

Agree with everyone that Wilder, of course, knows what he's doing - I certainly wasn't questioning that. I just wondered to what extent Woodley was being seen as a genuine contender and what other options were being looked at.

Boris and Bob are right about the formation allowing wide men to be brought into the mix as strikers. I just wonder whether we need one more target man in order to have sufficient flexibility.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

&quotDr Bob&quot wrote:I wonder if he might wait until towards the end of the first transfer or loan deadline, to see where there might be decent strikers for our level who are not getting games at their higher-level clubs and who might, once the season has started and finding themselves not playing much, be more willing to come to us on loan.
Good point - there should be no need to have an extra striker for the first few weeks, so to pounce for someone who is frozen out at a Championship/L1 club would make a lot os sense. Bearing that in mind, to answer the orgiinal question, I don't think we're leaving it too late but will be dismayed if we don't get anyone before September.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

My guess is we'll need at least two more strikers throughout the season but I don't think there's any great urgency at the moment. We have 3 &quotforward&quot positions to fill under Wilder's chosen formation and as others have said we've got 7 or 8 players to mix and match from in these positions.

As the season progresses our players will pick up injuries and suspensions, and will dip in and out of form. I'm sure when that happens there will be plenty of quality players from teams higher up the leagues that can come in and &quotdo a job&quot for us.

Also now that we are back in the football league perhaps Jim's friendship with Sir Alex could could even attract a few up and coming Mancs to get some competitive match experience.
Paul Cannell
Embryo

Post by Paul Cannell »

The romantic in me would like to see Woodley get a run, also IÔÇÖm more concerned about having only 3 CBs (Day, Wright, Creighton) than being a striker short. And, if Franks is as good as I read he is, IÔÇÖd sooner have him than another striker.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

&quotPaul Cannell&quot wrote:The romantic in me would like to see Woodley get a run, also I’m more concerned about having only 3 CBs (Day, Wright, Creighton) than being a striker short. And, if Franks is as good as I read he is, I’d sooner have him than another striker.
http://www.oufc.co.uk/page/News/0,,1034 ... 87,00.html

Also a centre half
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by tomoufc »

&quotMally&quot wrote:
Also now that we are back in the football league perhaps Jim's friendship with Sir Alex could could even attract a few up and coming Mancs to get some competitive match experience.
The last time we played Man U in a friendly we ended up with their Reserve Team captain on loan for the season. Bodes well.
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
Paul Cannell
Embryo

Re:

Post by Paul Cannell »

&quotJoeyBeauchamp&quot wrote:
http://www.oufc.co.uk/page/News/0,,1034 ... 87,00.html

Also a centre half
Thanks. This is what happens when you're bouncing round East Africa with no TIU.

Is it just me or does he look like a pretty wonderful signing (on paper)?
rambler
Baby

Post by rambler »

Personally I would like to see another striker brought in, whether permanently or on loan.
Woodley should be given a chance, as I think he is one for the future, but not sure he should be thrown in for an extended run, should we have (god forbid) a long term injury
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

Franks in as well, more defensive cover.
Peterorange
Puberty

Re:

Post by Peterorange »

&quotSwissbloke&quot wrote:Franks in as well, more defensive cover.
&quotBBC&quot wrote:&quotFranks said: &quotThis is the ideal chance to get out and try to play a few games.

&quotCentre-half is a difficult place for a young player to get a chance but I have come here looking for the opportunity to show what I can do.&quot
Given the number of defenders we have now he may be disappointed!
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotPeterorange&quot wrote:
&quotBBC&quot wrote:&quotFranks said: &quotThis is the ideal chance to get out and try to play a few games.

&quotCentre-half is a difficult place for a young player to get a chance but I have come here looking for the opportunity to show what I can do.&quot
Given the number of defenders we have now he may be disappointed!
He'll get 45 minutes against Oxford City - what more could he want?