Two World Wars and One World Cup, do da, do da..

Anything yellow and blue
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotAndrewmaha&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote:Were the Swansea populace supporting England then?
Well I was at least. It has something to do with the fact that 'we' were playing the Germans but is also linked to the fact that our own international football team is utter shite and not fit to grace any world event.
True, but at least I can say I have been at every Wales match in which we have qualified for the Euro or World Cup since I was born. i.e. anytime after 1958, so away in Yugoslavia on 24/4/76 and then that epic encounter at Ninian Park in the home leg. A biased German referee was in charge of the later and the most passionate and unfair game of football I’ve ever attended ensued. Sorry, no real url link to that game as the internet had not been even thought about let alone invented.

Since then the only time Wales ever got really close to qualifying for either tournament was when Paul Bodin missed that penalty against Romania - http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/ja ... es.sport13 . But there you go, tough luck and all that..

p.s. At the time Bodin was registered to a team down the A420.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotSnake&quot wrote: True, but at least I can say I have been at every Wales match in which we have qualified for the Euro or World Cup since I was born. i.e. anytime after 1958, so away in Yugoslavia on 24/4/76 and then that epic encounter at Ninian Park in the home leg. A biased German referee was in charge of the later and the most passionate and unfair game of football I’ve ever attended ensued. Sorry, no real url link to that game as the internet had not been even thought about let alone invented.

Since then the only time Wales ever got really close to qualifying for either tournament was when Paul Bodin missed that penalty against Romania - http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/ja ... es.sport13 . But there you go, tough luck and all that..

I found this for you Snake. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a working part 1.

If my (rather crap) memory serves, didn't Bodin also miss a penalty for Them in the play-off game, in which a certain Tommy Mooney also hit the post? I seem to remember Bodin missing quite a lot of penalties, hilariously.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by tomoufc »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quottomoufc&quot wrote: Starting two of the stupidest and bloodiest wars in the history of the human race.
Starting? Err, joining in with Bush I could agree with.

Bloodiest? Sorry to seem a bit picky but take a look at this link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wa ... death_toll
I can't believe the latest Iraq war isn't on there and yes Blair jointly started both the Iraq and Afghanistan wars with Bush, obviously. What about the rest of what I said, and the point I was trying to make?
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quottomoufc&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quottomoufc&quot wrote: Starting two of the stupidest and bloodiest wars in the history of the human race.

Bloodiest? Sorry to seem a bit picky but take a look at this link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wa ... death_toll
I can't believe the latest Iraq war isn't on there and yes Blair jointly started both the Iraq and Afghanistan wars with Bush, obviously. What about the rest of what I said, and the point I was trying to make?
You've not been here long enough if you think Snake is likely to respond to anything substantive! He's much too busy telling us how he knows everything about everything (via his window cleaner et al), but won't tell us about it cos we're not important enough :wink:
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quottomoufc&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:

I’m really not sure what you want me to respond to, as clearly we hold political differences when it comes to the Labour Party. All I will say is that I was one of the twelve people on Joe Goldberg’s Labour General Election Team taking on David Cameron in his Witney constituency. And yes, the entire exercise was like trying to make snowballs in Hell and we never had the remotest chance of winning, but at least I got properly involved rather than tip-tapping on an internet board.

So, here you go - http://www.westoxon.gov.uk/files/download/7476-3957.pdf - Labour got stuffed and only polled 7,511 votes, so have a good laugh on that at my expense.

Now, Tom, you tell me how many council seats the Conservatives have in Oxford after the Local Elections last May, which Political Party runs our City, and when was the last time any ward in Oxford elected a conservative candidate? It would be interesting if you can come up with the answers because then I can expand on the reasons why the last Tory in Oxford got elected - which would be far more interesting than the stuff my window cleaner tells me about Jamie Cook.

Up the Football League we go....
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotboris&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote: True, but at least I can say I have been at every Wales match in which we have qualified for the Euro or World Cup since I was born. i.e. anytime after 1958, so away in Yugoslavia on 24/4/76 and then that epic encounter at Ninian Park in the home leg. A biased German referee was in charge of the later and the most passionate and unfair game of football I’ve ever attended ensued. Sorry, no real url link to that game as the internet had not been even thought about let alone invented.

I found this for you Snake. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a working part 1.

If my (rather crap) memory serves, didn't Bodin also miss a penalty for Them in the play-off game, in which a certain Tommy Mooney also hit the post? I seem to remember Bodin missing quite a lot of penalties, hilariously.
Many thanks for that, boris. My overriding memory of that game was a fan running onto the pitch, pulling up a corner flag and throwing it like a javelin at the referee. It’s got to be on film somewhere??

As for the rest of it, then basically a lot of fans emptied their pockets of loose change and skimmed coins in the direction of the opposition. A mad day out, but good to see that football has moved on from that era, even though it’s meant a cap on a bit of passion.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Here's part one, but it only starts working about a minute in.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quottomoufc&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote: Starting? Err, joining in with Bush I could agree with.

I’m really not sure what you want me to respond to, as clearly we hold political differences when it comes to the Labour Party. All I will say is that I was one of the twelve people on Joe Goldberg’s Labour General Election Team taking on David Cameron in his Witney constituency. And yes, the entire exercise was like trying to make snowballs in Hell and we never had the remotest chance of winning, but at least I got properly involved rather than tip-tapping on an internet board.

So, here you go - http://www.westoxon.gov.uk/files/download/7476-3957.pdf - Labour got stuffed and only polled 7,511 votes, so have a good laugh on that at my expense.

Now, Tom, you tell me how many council seats the Conservatives have in Oxford after the Local Elections last May, which Political Party runs our City, and when was the last time any ward in Oxford elected a conservative candidate? It would be interesting if you can come up with the answers because then I can expand on the reasons why the last Tory in Oxford got elected - which would be far more interesting than the stuff my window cleaner tells me about Jamie Cook.

Careful Tom, he's been taking lessons from Alistair Campbell and the rest of Bliar's lot.

According to the lot that run Oxford City Council, or keep going left until you fall off as they are better known,, there is nothing wrong with the economy, that spending a few trillion more won't fix..... It's great fun using the credit card until you have to start the repayments.

Financing Government is a bit like running a football club. You fleece everyone for everything you can get, then when you still aren't winning, you borrow money you can't afford to pay back. Then when it still isn't working, you run out of cash and have big debts and go bankrupt blaming everyone else. At least that's how Labour see it.

Others think it is better to build and create sustainable long lasting growth.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quottomoufc&quot wrote: I can't believe the latest Iraq war isn't on there and yes Blair jointly started both the Iraq and Afghanistan wars with Bush, obviously. What about the rest of what I said, and the point I was trying to make?

Careful Tom, he's been taking lessons from Alistair Campbell and the rest of Bliar's lot.

According to the lot that run Oxford City Council, or keep going left until you fall off as they are better known,, there is nothing wrong with the economy, that spending a few trillion more won't fix..... It's great fun using the credit card until you have to start the repayments.

Financing Government is a bit like running a football club. You fleece everyone for everything you can get, then when you still aren't winning, you borrow money you can't afford to pay back. Then when it still isn't working, you run out of cash and have big debts and go bankrupt blaming everyone else. At least that's how Labour see it.

Others think it is better to build and create sustainable long lasting growth.
Oxford City Council now own property assets currently worth over half a billion pounds.

Even a Tory may recognise that as a half-decent bit of financial management.

The only drawback is that Labour play in Red.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re: Two World Wars and One World Cup, do da, do da..

Post by Snake »

Time to drag this one up again as apart from the very rich the World Cup is a TV experience but it helps to bridge the gap until the season starts.