Top of the league again

Anything yellow and blue
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

I actually thought we were better 2nd half than 1st. Although maybe that's because I was sat towards the fence end in the south stand upper so got a better view of the attacking portion of the 2nd half. Where do you sit GY? We should have scored at least 3 2nd half alone.

What disappointed me was the general negativity, I sense a decent proportion of the crowd are expecting another failure, a choke, for us not to be good enough again and are mentally preparing for it already. We are in a fantastic position but I thought (again maybe this is just the SSU) the fans were over-eager to criticise and I barely heard anything other than sporadic encouragement. Seems at home we'll always need an early goal to calm our own fans down, which is ludicrous. Can't help but think that if we were 5th in the table trying to chase the leaders the support would be more positive.

Anyhow, we were a bit disjointed throughout but I think the biggest problem with the team at the moment is a lack of pace. None of the front 3 are quick and Cook was barely involved at all. Kiddy played offside a lot and I thought we should have started with Green to counter it. It's difficult to criticise the tactics though as there were enough chances created to win the game and Kiddy didn't create much really.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Ancient Colin »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Playing our best XI in a straightforward formation which gets the most out of our players.
What's the best eleven and formation though (in particular, I don't think there's an obvious formation for the best eleven players)? If you backed me into a corner and demanded, I suppose I'd swap Creighton in for Wright, put Midson up top with Constable but I've no idea on the midfield four ... and then 4-4-2 demands width ... Dearing and Potter can beat people but that's two little ones, Clist and Bulman in midfield are tigerish, but that's two little ones ... do you try to fit Murray in to provide some sort of creativity (oh, that's another little one) or Hargreaves for height and fight (bugger it, there goes the creativity). Do you try to fit Matt Green in to give pace and a bit more height (bugger, there goes the defensive cover). I'm not sure I can put this jigsaw together neatly. Be interested to see people's line-ups, be surprised if there were much consensus.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

That kind of showing yesterday was a tad worrying as Kidderminster are the only half-decent team we’ve played since Yeovil three months ago. But never mind, better to get a draw yesterday than in the FAT on the 20th.

A big, big, test on Tuesday night against a proper contender – the performance (rather than the result) will reveal a lot about the latest set of Oxford United players.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Not sure if it was Tonkin or Wright, but which flung their right arm into the opponents face on the far side of the pitch, was lucky ot stay on the pitch imho.
It's uncanny how alike they look, isn't it? I could only tell them apart second half when I could see the numbers on their shirts.

I've now seen 3 home games this season, and witnessed precisely 1 goal. I disagree that we created enough chances. Half chances, maybe, but not enough really good ones. Our final ball was lacking, our decision making poor, and our delivery from set pieces truly appalling. I know it's been said a thousand times before, but why are we always so crap at throw-ins, free kicks and corners?

One big positive for me yesterday was Deering. I was also happy with our defence in general, apart from Batt, who for the first 45 minutes gave one of the worst individual performances I can recall in 25 years of watching Us. Too many of the others just had off days.

At least we've got a run of games coming up now (weather permitting), so we should be able to play ourselves into some form...
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Not sure if it was Tonkin or Wright, but which flung their right arm into the opponents face on the far side of the pitch, was lucky ot stay on the pitch imho.
It's uncanny how alike they look, isn't it? I could only tell them apart second half when I could see the numbers on their shirts.

I've now seen 3 home games this season, and witnessed precisely 1 goal. I disagree that we created enough chances. Half chances, maybe, but not enough really good ones. Our final ball was lacking, our decision making poor, and our delivery from set pieces truly appalling. I know it's been said a thousand times before, but why are we always so crap at throw-ins, free kicks and corners?

One big positive for me yesterday was Deering. I was also happy with our defence in general, apart from Batt, who for the first 45 minutes gave one of the worst individual performances I can recall in 25 years of watching Us. Too many of the others just had off days.

At least we've got a run of games coming up now (weather permitting), so we should be able to play ourselves into some form...

You are surely joking re Batt, the 'worst individual performance in 25 years' ?

You can't have been to too many games in that period then.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by Isaac »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:
You are surely joking re Batt, the 'worst individual performance in 25 years' ?

You can't have been to too many games in that period then.
Sounds like a new poll. My personal worst performance of the last 25 years was Anaclet at Ebbsfleet (when our unbeaten run came to an end in our first season).

Anyway, my current line up would be similar to the one picked on Saturday. So assuming no injuries, I'd have started with M Green out wide right, Deering on the left and then Murray in the hole. Slight lack of left footers in the side admittedly.

I've only seen Wright and Tonkin once, I thought Wright looked composed and steady, Tonkin didn't attack as much as Kinniburgh but it's still early days.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

And as for &quothalf&quot chances. 2nd half alone I can think of
1- Deering 1on1 with the keeper (after he and Green got in each others way)
2- Deering and Constable both clear, but somehow not managing to score

3/4 - Midson's 2 chances that he scuffed straight at the keeper

5 - Matt Green gubbing it wide from 12 yards in injury time.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotIsaac&quot wrote:
&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:I thought Wright looked composed and steady
Steady ????
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotIsaac&quot wrote:
&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:I thought Wright looked composed and steady
Steady ????
Hold on, did I say that?
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotIsaac&quot wrote:1- Deering 1on1 with the keeper (after he and Green got in each others way)
Totally Green's fault imho. LSD was on the ball - in more ways than one, especially when compared with many of the others.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotIsaac&quot wrote: Steady ????
Hold on, did I say that?
No whoops - sorry, think it was Isaac. The old cutting went a bit wrong.
nerps
Baby

Post by nerps »

visiting again from 'the other side' and I have to say the comments here are much more realistic about the performance, particularly Godalmings post - just about summed it up perfectly. Have to pick up on Old Ab's comment about 'small and skilful' I agree with the small but, apart from Sam, the skilful bit was missing.
James Cook needs to look at his life and decide whether he wants to bother, he seems to be developing an 'I'll get paid anyway' attitude and it just won't do. If CW wouldn't accept the supposed 'attitude' of Foster then why isn't he sorting out Cook?
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Post by Brahma Bull »

I think people are worrying about Luton too much. I really believe they will be under some imense pressure to deliver and meet the expectations.

They lost their last home game to Fleet International and only managed a late winner on Saturday, away to Barrow. Barnes-Homer looks unlikely to feature and the game will be won by the tactics from the touchline.

We have some strength, they have Nelthorpe. :lol:
leicesteryellow
Toddler

Re:

Post by leicesteryellow »

&quotnerps&quot wrote: James Cook needs to look at his life and decide whether he wants to bother, he seems to be developing an 'I'll get paid anyway' attitude and it just won't do. If CW wouldn't accept the supposed 'attitude' of Foster then why isn't he sorting out Cook?
jamie cook has already stopped playing pro football before to play golf!! that tells you something about his attitude

and if anyones intrested- as for the story of him being an oxford supporter, thats not true, he used to support chelsea, i played in the same youth team as him. joker!
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:I was also happy with our defence in general, apart from Batt, who for the first 45 minutes gave one of the worst individual performances I can recall in 25 years of watching Us.
You never saw Mike Salmon in goal against Birmingham then, I defy anyone to come up with a worse performance than that.