FA Trophy

Anything yellow and blue

Should we have a serious tilt at winning the FA Trophy?

Yes
40%
No
23%
Start to take it seriously if we reach the quarter-finals
37%

Total votes: 43

boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:have we ever got to the FAT 3rd round before? Was there a predecessor competition in the &quotold&quot non-league days?
No, and no (the Southern League Cup was for Southern League sides only).
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotBoogie&quot wrote:According to the link below, the FA are considering whether Histon played a player not registered to play in the competition and if so they might be kicked out.

http&#58//www&#46sport4salisbury&#46com ... Itemid=410

One possible way of getting out of the competition.
There, that's fixed it for you. Preview is your friend.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I now think for the sake of the club we have to win against Chelmsford. If we lose, then a lot of people will say this ranks as one of the lowest points in recent history - comparable with losses against Tonbridge (FAT), Lewes (league), Droylsden (league). The team would probably get booed off, the manager booed off. A win would boost the team's confidence, and with a mixture of squad players as well they all get more match practice.

Also Mangan at Wrexham could be a dangerous first or second game to face a new striker. Strangely the official site has the rearranged game for 29 June, right in the middle of the World Cup.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Histon have been thrown out of the Trophy. I think, but can't quite work it out, that this has a knock-on effect on our game against Cambridge on 2 Feb (or maybe that's if they draw against Salisbury).

Edit: Just sussed it - if Cambridge beat Eastbourne in their FAT replay, they'll play the winners of Maidstone/Salisbury on 2 Feb. C'mon Eastbourne!
Roo
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Roo »

&quotboris&quot wrote:Histon have been thrown out of the Trophy. I think, but can't quite work it out, that this has a knock-on effect on our game against Cambridge on 2 Feb (or maybe that's if they draw against Salisbury).

Edit: Just sussed it - if Cambridge beat Eastbourne in their FAT replay, they'll play the winners of Maidstone/Salisbury on 2 Feb. C'mon Eastbourne!
This is our way to get out of this poxy competition without a defeat!

Field an unregistered player on Saturday......play very well, win by several goals, no injuries, no bookings, no sendings off then report ourselves for fielding an unregistered player.

We get chucked out of The Trophy, no fine, no wrist-slap then concentrate on winning the league.................GOT IT? 8)
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotboris&quot wrote:Histon have been thrown out of the Trophy. I think, but can't quite work it out, that this has a knock-on effect on our game against Cambridge on 2 Feb (or maybe that's if they draw against Salisbury).

This is starting to do my head in - God only knows how many permutations Mick Brown has to cope with.

And on Friday and Saturday it’s frost alert again so I’ve given up working out when Cambridge home and/or away is going to be played. At this rate we’ll end up watching the games from here.

Stop, start, stop, start. Poxy League, Poxy Cup.

p.s. by my reckoning we still have enough pies left over from Boxing Day to cater for just under 3,000 people.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

Yes Roo If you read my earlier post you will have seen I got it last week :roll:
Roo
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Roo »

&quotBoogie&quot wrote:Yes Roo If you read my earlier post you will have seen I got it last week :roll:
Genuine Genius!
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

So have we now got another blank Tuesday next week (assuming we don't have a replay against Chelmsford)?
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Radley Rambler »

&quotHog&quot wrote:So have we now got another blank Tuesday next week (assuming we don't have a replay against Chelmsford)?
If there is a result in our game (assuming it's on!) and a draw between Salisbury &amp Maidstone, then we play Cambridge. If any of that does not happen, we don't play Cambridge.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Thanks, so the best chance we have of a game on Tuesday is a draw at Chelmsford then.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:Is there any way that admin could reset this poll so we could all vote again?
It appears not.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotHog&quot wrote:Thanks, so the best chance we have of a game on Tuesday is a draw at Chelmsford then.
But not the game that any of us want.
admin
Site Admin

Re:

Post by admin »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:Is there any way that admin could reset this poll so we could all vote again?
It appears not.
Don't be a wuss - stand by your previous answer!
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotadmin&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:
It appears not.
Don't be a wuss - stand by your previous answer!
I am, because I voted &quotNo&quot.

Just thought that some people may have had a change of heart over the last three seasons.

Ah well, next year we can start a poll along the lines of &quotShould we have a serious tilt at winning the JP Trophy?&quot (he said, thinking positively)