Woking FAT Cup

Anything yellow and blue
Mally
Grumpy old git

Woking FAT Cup

Post by Mally »

The official site is still saying:
&quotA pitch inspection will be held this morning ahead of Saturday's scheduled home game against Woking on Saturday&quot

If the photo on the club site is anything to go by I don't think you need to be an official FA referee to work out that the pitch is unplayable. Although Blackbird Leys looks quite pretty in the background - which is something you don't hear very often.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

That's just a generic snow photo, not taken particularly recently.

Anyway, the site's been updated to say the game is off and has been rearranged for Tuesday (yeah, right).
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

According to a text from the club &quotTomorrow's game v Woking postponed but rescheduled for next Tuesday evening. There will be a pitch inspection on Monday to see if that will be possible.&quot

Looking at the weather for sunday, I'd wager this game would be off too...
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

The programme collectors will be positively orgasmic if it is!
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotHog&quot wrote:The programme collectors will be positively orgasmic if it is!
I doubt it, the print run hese days is usually ordered within 24 hours of kick off. I would be surprised though if there weren't some coies of the Boxing Day fixture floating around.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Looking at our fixture list, then assuming we have to either play Round 3 or the postponed Round 2 FAT games (so Wrexham is postponed to the following Tuesday) then I reckon the next time we have a gap in the fixture list is Saturday 6th March (p.s. does anyone know why this is blank???).

This of course assumes we don’t make any further progress in the FAT. If we get to the semi-finals then another 3 games plus any replays will need to be postponed.

Thank God we don’t have the Setanta Shield this season…
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:does anyone know why this is blank???)
Answer provided via TiU.

http://www.oxfordshireforums.co.uk/topi ... mp#1153606
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

I seem to recall that Mr Lee and Co stated that it was very difficult to get all teams to play every Saturday.......?? It must be tricky with an even number of teams!

I wonder if it has anything to do with their method of compiling the fixtures by hand rather than using some basic software.

Picture the scene:

Brian - I've finished, it's only taken me 5 days!
Colleague - But you've missed a fixture here, and here..and here
Brian - Quiet, no one will notice
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by slappy »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:does anyone know why this is blank???)
Bump.

Someone must know..
I guess that Dennis decided there were enough Saturdays in the normal season to give a decent mix of Saturdays and Tuesdays for league football (allowing for cup comps too), but that if he gave every team a Saturday fixture every week, the league would finish too early. So cancel a Saturday fixture for each team but spread them between the teams and throughout the season and we all finish at the same time and there is not a completely blank weekend for the league.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Maybe Oxford United were half-expected to be in the quarter finals of the FA Cup on that day, so Brian kindly kept that date free for Us..
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Sideshow Rob »

The real reason for the blank saturdays is more tinpot. Before the fixtutes were compiled some of the smaller clubs objected to being required to travel long distances to away fixtures on Tuesday nights. To accommodate these requests some teams were forced to give up a saturday fixture. The tail really does wag the dog in the BSP. It is the first time since Headington/Oxford United have been given a blank saturday fixture in the football season since turning professional in 1949 (and probably a long time before that).
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Almost right, Rob.

Does anyone on this board want to put up the date when it did last happen?

Clue - it was in the last 15 years.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

2nd January 2010.