First away game

Anything yellow and blue
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

I'm afraid I need to know what the half-time score was at Leeds Road. My chances of looking this up in Huesca municpal libraries are fairly poor.
entirely disenchanted
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotRadley Rambler&quot wrote:I think my first away game was at Walsall where we won 1-0 with a penalty in about 1983. It was a top of the table clash and so important that Steve Hardwick couldn't watch when the penalty was taken. I seem to remember a certain John Aldridge making his debut in this game - is that right?
Looks like it:
http://www.rageonline.co.uk/mainpage.ph ... amprange=A

(not sure why you couldn't have done that yourself, mind).
SteMerritt
Puberty

Re:

Post by SteMerritt »

&quotRadley Rambler&quot wrote:I think my first away game was at Walsall where we won 1-0 with a penalty in about 1983. It was a top of the table clash and so important that Steve Hardwick couldn't watch when the penalty was taken. I seem to remember a certain John Aldridge making his debut in this game - is that right?
If it is the game towards the end of the 1983/4 season (our Championship year) then the goal was by Peter Rhoades-Brown and Hardwick saved a penalty I believe. Wasn't this game on MOTD?

My first away game was slightly earlier in the same season, a 2-1 defeat at Millwall. We went ahead very early in the game but couldn't hold on. Remember the atmosphere being 'a bit tasty'!

http&#58//www&#46rageonline&#46co&#46uk ... 800&#46000
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

well i started going to oxford games a lot more recently than you lot, and i didn't go to an away game for some time. but here's my first away game anyway:

http&#58//www&#46rageonline&#46co&#46uk ... 800&#46000

no trouble, i'm sure solely down to the fifty lines of police we had to walk through.

i was amazed at how many yellows had travelled down for, what was for us, a meaningless game at our cotswold neighbours who'd had a rather better season than the us. we sang the praises of halifax being awful enough to keep us in the football league.
bringiton
Baby

memories

Post by bringiton »

....this post had finally got me out of lurking mode1

my first away game was Southampton, must have been back in 1974 -I was 12...went on one of Mick Browns first coaches.....an atrocious day , weather-wise, got to the old dell, to find it rained off......what should we do....go home? No, why not drive up to Slumdon, sneak in the town end have an almighty ruck with that lot, then get walked the whole length of the pitch to boos, pies and everything lelse being thrown at us - and support walsall-- well for about half an hour until they got bored with a shokin match, and it all started up again.....we retreated to the coaches...and I remember like it was yesterday, singing &quot Third divison rubbish&quot....if only i'd have know then what I know now :lol: :lol:

I went on Micks coaches to quite a few after that 74/75 and 75/76..I rem watford, portsmouth we won 2-0 two magnificent Mick Tait goals, bristol rovers, luton, notts county and forest...brilliant days....mostly they were all scary as hell, but we generally got away with it. I always rem the stops at the chippies etc on the way there and back.....god forsaken places like chesterfield and mansfiled-- not like leafy oxfordshire at all

I made the pilgrimage to carlisle, just to say id been, and i think it was a 1-1 draw as I recall...

The Orient game was a huge match--we must have taken maybe 1500-2000 there-- I rem seeing kids id gone to school with who'd never been to a match turn up.....I rem the dust too - both the pitch, but also the cinder track around the side--- there was aggro from the word go, I was a measly little 14 year old who someone threw a smoke bomb at, hit me on the head, i cover my eyes...next thing i know Ive got two what appeared to be 30 stone east end coppers who literally threw me over the wall and carried me around the pitch by my arms and legs-- there was a room with hundreds of oxford fans in the same predciament, I was scared shit-less, they took names and addresses etc..kicked us out, we went around to the turnstiles, paid our 25 p or whatever it was, got straight back in again...happy days :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: