Away Form

Anything yellow and blue
scooter
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by scooter »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:
&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:
&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote: one chicken, two chickens, three chickens....
OK it may have appeared that way - but thats not what was intended - just very poor phraseology on my part.
Perhaps I should have said we, or any other club for that matter, could possibly achieve automatice promotion with 87 pts - and Oxford are not quite half way there.

I just happen to have a list of 'goals' I would like Oxford to achieve by the time we have played 23 games - and getting to 44 pts is the first of them. If and when we achieve that goal - I will tick that box and move on to the next goal - 46 pts in 23 matches - etc.
48 50 51 and 55 are also on my 'played 23' list.

But - one match at a time - the last 'target' may well have to be changed.
Not sure what the chickens were doing, but I now see your premise that if you are ahead of the team in second, you must be first.

I read it as if say Aldershot have 101, and Cambridge 86, then 87 is good enough.

However, 81 to 86 points is normally only good enough for a play-off position. I think this season will be fairly tight at the top with us, Kettering, Luton Mansfield, Stevenage and York all being there or thereabout. 87 might be enough, all depends how these top clubs do against each other and the lower teams.
That really is hedgeing your bets
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Post by Dartford Ox »

Slappy - glad you mentioned Aldershot. You will see why 51 is on my halfway list.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

I think I'll remain a one game at a time guy, it's so much easier than all this calculation stuff.
We've got 43 points. At 5 o'clock on Saturday we'll either have 43, 44 or 46 points and there will be another 26 games to go.

........... or will there. Bloody Chester.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

I think I'll remain a &quotdoomed, doomed, we're all doomed, woe, woe and thrice woe&quot guy. That way, I have no disappointments to crush me. The longer I am towards the bottom of the hat league, the better for everyone else ...
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:I read it as if say Aldershot have 101, and Cambridge 86, then 87 is good enough.
So if we get 87 then who gets those other points that Aldershot got? they don't just disappear.
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Dartford Ox »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotslappy&quot wrote:I read it as if say Aldershot have 101, and Cambridge 86, then 87 is good enough.
So if we get 87 then who gets those other points that Aldershot got? they don't just disappear.
You didn't read the statement properly. If we had 87 then Cambridge would not be 2nd thus nullifying the argument. Regardless of the actual number of points - I still maintain if you have 1 or more pts more than second place then you must be 1st.

I really can't see what the problem is.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
You didn't read the statement properly. If we had 87 then Cambridge would not be 2nd thus nullifying the argument. Regardless of the actual number of points - I still maintain if you have 1 or more pts more than second place then you must be 1st.

If you're riding in the Tour de France and you overtake the second placed rider - what position does that put you in?
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Dartford Ox »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotA-Ro&quot wrote: So if we get 87 then who gets those other points that Aldershot got? they don't just disappear.

If you're riding in the Tour de France and you overtake the second placed rider - what position does that put you in?
That question appears deliberately ambiguous (desparately so IMO). Does the '2nd placed' refer to the stage or overall - likewise the position.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by slappy »

&quotscooter&quot wrote:
&quotslappy&quot wrote:all depends how these top clubs do against each other and the lower teams.
That really is hedgeing your bets
:lol:
What I meant to say was the number of points to get depends whether there are a group of teams all bunched at the top at the end of the season - 6 teams bunched up and they will probably all be in the high 80s points, as they will be mainly dropping points against each other. If some also drop several points against the lower teams, there may only be 3 at the top.

A quick look through the 24 team divisions over the past few years shows that 90 points is normally enough to win the league.

But then again if this BSP season ends up like league 2 2007/08 it could be very tough - 2 teams with over 90 points and 1 with 88. http&#58//www&#46tonykempster&#46co&#46 ... ge2&#46htm
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

This all started by me saying that 1 point per game away and 3 at home for the rest of the season (or 4 points per virtual pair of games) would bne enough to gain promotion. That still stands as far as I'm concerned. 96 points will be enough in this league this season.

Of course it is mathematically possible for another club to win every game between now and the end of the season (apart from the draw against us) and finish on 117 points but I don't see any evidence of this being remotely possible.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:If you're riding in the Tour de France and you overtake the second placed rider - what position does that put you in?
In bed ... dreaming! :lol: