Villa tonight

Anything yellow and blue
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I thought it was a good end to pre-season, finishing off at home with a couple of goals and a clean sheet for both Clarke and Turley. Hopefully this has given the squad a boost to their confidence after the 2-1 loss at Oxford City conceding 2 against QPR and 0-3 against Peterborough

Having the flu three recovered is also good news.

Obviously the Villa youth team rather than reserves and even 1 or 2 first team coming back for fitness was probably a disappointment to those hoping to see some big names, but I thought they gave us a relatively good game, and £12 was not too bad when I pay that to get in at Ebbsfleet or Grays and stand on an uncovered terrace and watch shocking football.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by ty cobb »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:[ We are in with a shout though.
If we weren't it would be a miserable 9 months ahead.
WSC thinks we gave a decent shout - &quotOne of the main challengers to Luton are aacording to the bookies and fans of other Conference teams, Oxford United. The Us have strengthened well over the summer and look to have the strongest squad in the league.&quot.

Let's hope so. But long may the spotlight shine on Luton.
I'd hope WSC thinks we've got a chance given the author of the piece! Boris I was bit upset that attention was drawn to Luton and AFC as having the big crowds in the division - our average this season I reckon will be better then both of them.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

[quote=&quotty cobbI'd hope WSC thinks we've got a chance given the author of the piece! Boris I was bit upset that attention was drawn to Luton and AFC as having the big crowds in the division - our average this season I reckon will be better then both of them.[/quote]

My observational skills must be at an all time low. I have just looked at the article again and indeed Mr Martin Brodetsky is the man.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

8)

I was deliberately trying to underplay Oxford's hand and drawing attention to Luton etc. Partly because I think it does no harm to have people worrying about other teams than us, but mainly because it was written for a national publication and not just United supporters.

As for last night, I was happy with the vfm. I went to watch Oxford, not a team of premiership prima donnas, so I couldn't really give a toss who they had playing for them. We won, which made me happy. If we'd have lost then I might have considered it poor vfm, but nothing to do with who the opposition had on the pitch.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mooro »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:[I agree the league will be the toughest it has ever been this next season, but we have a lot of quality in our squad this season and we are rightfully one of the favourties to go up.
Is there really the depth of opposition that we've had previously - two challengers have gone up, only one down, and a few of the fringe challengers look likely to fall away due to financial woes (Kiddie, Histon, Kettering...)

Sure the ones that are left could prove very competitive, unless - Rolls continues to destabilise Cambridge, Deano spends too much time on the national side, Luton get too complacent, WEstley continues to talk it, but not walk it &amp AFCW hit their ceiling then we're home and dry!!
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Swissbloke »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:[ We are in with a shout though.
If we weren't it would be a miserable 9 months ahead.
WSC thinks we gave a decent shout - &quotOne of the main challengers to Luton are aacording to the bookies and fans of other Conference teams, Oxford United. The Us have strengthened well over the summer and look to have the strongest squad in the league.&quot.

Let's hope so. But long may the spotlight shine on Luton.
Yes but Boris wrote that for WSC!

Note to self. Read full thread before posting....
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotSwissbloke&quot wrote:[Note to self. Read full thread before posting....
It's not the full post I needed to have read but the full WSC article before posting here.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:[I agree the league will be the toughest it has ever been this next season, but we have a lot of quality in our squad this season and we are rightfully one of the favourties to go up.
Is there really the depth of opposition that we've had previously - two challengers have gone up, only one down, and a few of the fringe challengers look likely to fall away due to financial woes (Kiddie, Histon, Kettering...)

Sure the ones that are left could prove very competitive, unless - Rolls continues to destabilise Cambridge, Deano spends too much time on the national side, Luton get too complacent, WEstley continues to talk it, but not walk it &amp AFCW hit their ceiling then we're home and dry!!
Sure some of last year's stronger teams, will be less likely to make a promotion challenge this time. I'm thinking of Kiddy, Histon and Crawley as examples.

But this season I think Luton, York, Wrexham, Mansfield, Cambridge, AFC, and Stevenage, will all be strong contenders for the title as well as us.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:[
But this season I think Luton, York, Wrexham, Mansfield, Cambridge, AFC, and Stevenage, will all be strong contenders for the title as well as us.
Yes, and 2 into 8 just doesn't go.
AFC - on what basis is everyone assuming that they will be one of the better teams? Just asking.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:[, unless - Rolls continues to destabilise Cambridge,
His destabilising days at the Abbey seem to be over.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
AFC - on what basis is everyone assuming that they will be one of the better teams? Just asking.[/quote

From my point of view, they have sucessfully developed the club over many seasons, using a formula involving no debt, so that the club does not run into financial difficulties. The club is run by supporters for supporters, with the manager given freedom within that context. They have built a successful squad on those principles, each year releasing those players deemed not good enough for the higher level, replacing them with players for the higher division.

AFC's main problem this season, which hasn't affected them in previous seasons, is the limitations of Kingsmeadow, which is simply not designed for this level of football. But on talent and hard work, I expect them to be strong.
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Dartford Ox »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
AFC - on what basis is everyone assuming that they will be one of the better teams? Just asking.
2 into 8
:?:
If this is Mastermind can I submit 4 as my answer please :roll:
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Matt D »

&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:2 into 8
:?:
If this is Mastermind can I submit 4 as my answer please :roll:
:D

by the way, as chester, cambridge, FGR, grays, and whoever else struggle with their respective problems days before the season kicks off, i am more convinced than ever that we're definitely going to screw this season up...

stevenage to take the title with luton up through the play-offs.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by slappy »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
From my point of view, they have sucessfully developed the club over many seasons, using a formula involving no debt, so that the club does not run into financial difficulties. The club is run by supporters for supporters, with the manager given freedom within that context. They have built a successful squad on those principles, each year releasing those players deemed not good enough for the higher level, replacing them with players for the higher division.

AFC's main problem this season, which hasn't affected them in previous seasons, is the limitations of Kingsmeadow, which is simply not designed for this level of football. But on talent and hard work, I expect them to be strong.
Help! I find myself agreeing with GY on his clubs to be up there in the mix at the end of the season.

I do though think that Kingsmeadow is probably about right for this level of football - apart from Burton, Cambridge, Oxford and Wrexham last year, every BSP club had a lower highest attendance than the Kingsmeadow capacity of 4,720.

I don't have a problem (unless it is me) that some away fans will miss out because of an away capacity of only 900. Better that than AFCW overextending their finances for a 12,000 capacity ground which is half empty most weeks. They have had good season ticket sales, and good home support should really help them.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotslappy&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote: Yes, and 2 into 8 just doesn't go.

Help! I find myself agreeing with GY on his clubs to be up there in the mix at the end of the season.

I do though think that Kingsmeadow is probably about right for this level of football - apart from Burton, Cambridge, Oxford and Wrexham last year, every BSP club had a lower highest attendance than the Kingsmeadow capacity of 4,720.

I don't have a problem (unless it is me) that some away fans will miss out because of an away capacity of only 900. Better that than AFCW overextending their finances for a 12,000 capacity ground which is half empty most weeks. They have had good season ticket sales, and good home support should really help them.
I agree with Sloppy too! Yeuch!

The following page gives some insight into the problems AFC are facing.

http&#58//www&#46afcwimbledon&#46co&#46 ... ws_id=4245

And that is not to mention the major car parking problems in Kingston with no such facilities near the ground, segregation issues, massive traffic problems and so on.

Whether Kingsmeadow would get Football League ground grading is very doubtful imho, and so if they do achieve success, they might not be able to take the promotion. But better that than wrecking the sound financial basis they have formed the club on.