5 Points - Could have been a lot worse

Anything yellow and blue
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

5 Points - Could have been a lot worse

Post by Boogie »

On the basis that the play-offs were a long-shot anyway, Wilder can start building so we hit the ground running next season.

We might perhaps be more likely to go on a relaxed winning streak like under Patterson last year, with more youth players given the chance to come through.

Here's hoping anyway.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Agree - With the penalty as it is, we should not be in any serious danger of getting dragged into the relegation fight, yet have a good chance of getting into the top 10 and maybe higher, so I'd be reluctant to risk an appeal, given the low likelihood of the penalty being reduced further (possible 11 down to 5) against the higher risk of a bigger penalty (as I can imagine some other clubs crying foul at our 'let-off').

If it takes some of the pressure off and allows Wilder time to fully assess the squad for next season then great (though of course, no amount of success between now and April will count for anything once the knives come out at the end of August)
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:Agree - With the penalty as it is, we should not be in any serious danger of getting dragged into the relegation fight, yet have a good chance of getting into the top 10 and maybe higher, so I'd be reluctant to risk an appeal, given the low likelihood of the penalty being reduced further (possible 11 down to 5) against the higher risk of a bigger penalty (as I can imagine some other clubs crying foul at our 'let-off').

If it takes some of the pressure off and allows Wilder time to fully assess the squad for next season then great (though of course, no amount of success between now and April will count for anything once the knives come out at the end of August)
But just how sick are we going to feel if we finish 4 points off the play off positions :cry:
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

Has Mick Brown resigned yet?
entirely disenchanted
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

I've been thinking about the appeal and I now feel that if the written verdict gives even a glimpse of a chance of an appeal then we should seriously consider taking it.

As others have said the 5 point penalty puts our already slim chances of a playoff place completely out of reach and to me there is a real danger that because our season is already over we could lose a large number of supporters for the rest of the season thus jeopardising further our already precarious financial position. In fact a relegation battle might actually be better under these circumstances.

We have certainly got to make every effort in the FAT now, just to give the floating fans a reason to turn up.
The Enforcer
Brat

Post by The Enforcer »

Knowing our luck any appeal will be unsuccessful and the points deduction increased to 50 points.

If we don't appeal the entire squad will probably get wiped out in a freak coach accident.
The Enforcer
Brat

Re:

Post by The Enforcer »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:We have certainly got to make every effort in the FAT now, just to give the floating fans a reason to turn up.
Not even able to make a decent fist of that - currently 0-1 down early in the second half in yet another tepid display.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:Has Mick Brown resigned yet?
No.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re: 5 Points - Could have been a lot worse

Post by Baboo »

&quotBoogie&quot wrote:On the basis that the play-offs were a long-shot anyway, Wilder can start building so we hit the ground running next season.
What like the team that Patto built at the end of last season. The team that disappeared and was not around at the start of this season.
Haldane (regular starter)- loanee.
Constable (key player) - loanee.