Sam Deering (home)
56%
No one
No votes

Total votes: 16

A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

I sincerely think that Sam has to &quotspeak&quot to his sponsors. If he wants the backing of the fans then he must demonstrate at least a ittle bit of contrition. Otherwise he will go the same way as Bradbury and Wright.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

I imagine the last thing the club is likely to allow is for him to say anything off his own bat to anybody. I would be amazed if he hasn't been given explicit instructions to that effect. Which is the problem for anybody demanding statements, acts of contrition etc: everything he says will be dictated to him anyway. To my mind the quiet act of withdrawing sponsorship and sending a letter expressing disappointment might make the point better than anything public.
entirely disenchanted
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Good view and in keeping with the &quotlet's hide the problem&quot view of the world but I'd rather see an exhibition to his peers that he made a mistake and that everybody can and should learn from it.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:in keeping with the &quotlet's hide the problem&quot view of the world
Don't be silly.
entirely disenchanted
yellowportly
Brat

Re:

Post by yellowportly »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:I imagine the last thing the club is likely to allow is for him to say anything off his own bat to anybody. I would be amazed if he hasn't been given explicit instructions to that effect. Which is the problem for anybody demanding statements, acts of contrition etc: everything he says will be dictated to him anyway. To my mind the quiet act of withdrawing sponsorship and sending a letter expressing disappointment might make the point better than anything public.
agreed
--== Keep On Keepin' On ==--
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Firstly, it's not hiding anything to withdraw sponsorship: to not make a big noise about something is not the same as not doing it, you see?

Secondly, pretty much everybody in the world knows that in these situations, people's words are not their own (and even if they are, they don't necessarily reflect what they really think). Hence there is always cynicism (pretty much entirely justified) about whatever statements are actually issued. I tend to think that's a bullshit situation and I don't see that it achieves anything or convinces anybody to increase the total quantity of bullshit. Which is why I wouldn't want to see any statements of repentance before making any decisions - what in god's name would they prove?

Take the money away because it's the right thing to do, don't shout to the whole world about it because that's not the right thing to do, keep well away from the statement circus because it's bullshit and take the view that actions speak louder than words.
entirely disenchanted
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Hmmm that's not making a point though is it?

And don't call me &quotsilly&quot when I made a perfectly valid point eh! otherwise this is just going to end up in a name calling contest.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:And don't call me &quotsilly&quot when I made a perfectly valid point
But in my view, you didn't: you engaged in a mischaracterisation.

And how taking away the money is &quotnot making a point&quot eludes me. It may not be &quotshouting that point in public&quot but again, that's not quite the same thing, is it?
entirely disenchanted
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Bloody hell &quotmischaracterisation&quot NO! can't you see that taking away the sponsorship is only going to be visible to those who paid the money?

The boy needs to publicly admit his failing otherwise nobody is going to learn anything from this.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:Bloody hell &quotmischaracterisation&quot NO! can't you see that taking away the sponsorship is only going to be visible to those who paid the money?
No, I can't, because I think somebody may just spot the alteration in the programme and that even if they do not, if soembody asks &quotwhat have the sponsors said about it?&quot then their attention may be drawn to aforesaid alteration.

It's a mischaracterisation to refer to a &quotview of the world&quot that I do not hold and have not expressed. It is genuinely helpful if you take note of the supporting reasons people give for holding a view before attempting to describe it. If you don't, they're likely to look askance at your description.
&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:The boy needs to publicly admit his failing
So he issues a statement written (as it will be) by somebody else. This will convince...who? You? Him? The nurses? The public at large? Can you really not see that people have grown used to seeing PR statements issued and do not necessarily take them at face value?

This is not a competition to make the biggest noise of disapproval and I for one am not impressed by people who do.

(I think, by the way, that what &quotthe boy needs&quot is to have a think about it. Not to learn the sports-PR skill of knowing what to say in public and what to keep to yourself. I called it a circus in a post above, and that's what it is.)
Last edited by Pe├▒a Oxford United on Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
entirely disenchanted
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:can't you see that taking away the sponsorship is only going to be visible to those who paid the money?
Yeah, and that would be a good start. And besides, the club has the money and no one is suggesting we ask for that back.

Anyway, we don’t need a statement to his sponsors, just one single word might help so long as it was genuine and from Sam and not from the club’s PR department. By means of a clue the word starts with “S
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

The other thing about this is it is also about us ... irrespective of whether or not he makes a direct apology (and that would certainly be a good thing in itself, even more if there were some genuine contrition and learning), there's a labelling issue - my money, our money, being used to sponsor someone, being associated with someone who makes racist statements. I'm not comfortable with that.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Matt D »

[quote=&quotSnake&quot]Anyway, we don’t need a statement to his sponsors, just one single word might help so long as it was genuine and from Sam and not from the club’s PR department. By means of a clue the word starts with “S
yellowportly
Brat

Post by yellowportly »

... although, there would be some volume if withdrawing sponsorship since

a) the RO name would not appear in the programme any more
b) the picture of deering would not appear on the front page of this site

it makes a statement without the facking big fanfare
--== Keep On Keepin' On ==--
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:(I think, by the way, that what &quotthe boy needs&quot is to have a think about it. Not to learn the sports-PR skill of knowing what to say in public and what to keep to yourself. I called it a circus in a post above, and that's what it is.)
SD does indeed need to learn that not only is it not acceptable to speak in the terms that he did, but it is ridiculous, abusive and appallingly discriminatory to even think in those terms. And he needs to learn why.

Simply teaching him that he shouldn't say such things in public is nowhere near enough and does not deal with the issue.

He does need to make a public apology, but a private apology to those concerned is much more relevant. Providing community assistance in some way is much more relevant. Visiting and talking to the Asian community and listening to the impact that such statements has on non-white cultures is much more relevant.

He needs to understand and accept why his comments were wrong and until that has been achieved, it is surely wrong to continue the sponsorship.

That doesn't mean he should be castigated forever, it means he has lessons and knowledge to understand and accept before he can expect direct support, or any form of redemption.