Can I just be the first one to say

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I'm fairly neutral of Wilders appointment.

He has some of the attributes needed, but success isn't really one of them.

He has had teams relegated but not promoted. He has generally had teams nearer the foot of tables than the top. The time he got Halifax in the play offs, they weren't cash strapped.

Having said that, OUFC will be cash strapped for the full extent of his contract. Then again, I think we will see a big cut back in the playing budgets of all Conference teams next season, s that shouldn't really be a set back.

My memories of his Halifax sides were hard working passing sides, which is exactly what is needed in this division.

I'm glad we didn't go for a big name, but slightly disappointed that we didn't have the ambition (or is that money?) to go for one of the managers who has achieved at this level.

Give him until Christmas!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

Nobody's perfect.
entirely disenchanted
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

I think we should be fair about the process. We asked for an objective appointment process, and KT's interview in the Mail suggests just that. I interview a lot in another context, and an interview is designed to test whether the candidate comes across as their references (formal or informal) suggest, whether their ideas have coherence, whether the candidate really understands what is required, whether they really want the job. KT refers to Wilder's preparation for the interview in terms of the groundwork on the existing Oxford players - these are the sort of things one should be looking for.

Assuming KT hasn't made all this up, I think it sounds promising.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

I'm not too dissapointed in the appointment but then again I didn't expect very much. It's a very difficult time for him to take over though. The next two weeks see 12 points up for grabs. If he hits the ground running we could be pushing for the play-offs but if things don't go well we could be just above the releagtion zone.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

We've got to take each game as it comes.
entirely disenchanted
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:We've got to take each game as it comes.
Have you swallowed a phrase book recently? :lol:
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:Noboy's perfect.
&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:We've got to take each game as it comes.
You are Darren Patterson and I claim my five pounds!
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Sigh....

First gag: Wilder.

Second gag: see posting above gag.
entirely disenchanted
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Post by Shoobedoo »

I think you lot are being overly pessimistic.

I think he did OK with Halifax I remember our first game in the Conference against them, OK we won 2-0 but I couldn't help thinking that they passed it much better than we did and were it not for poor finishing the result could have been a lot different. They never gave up either - as indicated by the Trophy ties last year. So - determination and passing football two important boxes ticked in my book.

Wilder has also done OK at Bury as number 2 to Knill.

Other pluses: He's young he knows the conference he certainly has caught the eye of the board and he clearly wants the job (unlike Ward, it transpires, who was more interested in seducing a league club).

Plus we've been through what everyone wanted - an interview process. The outcome is Chris Wilder. I'm happy with that.

Good luck to the bloke - he's gonna need it with our fickle fans...
yellowportly
Brat

Post by yellowportly »

to my knowledge, he's the first manager we've ever had with a mohican

http&#58//www&#46oufc&#46co&#46uk/javaI ... ,00&#46jpg

that makes him ok with me
--== Keep On Keepin' On ==--
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:Sigh....

First gag: Wilder.

Second gag: see posting above gag.
That gag was a real diamond - it must be worth its weight in gold...
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotShoobedoo&quot wrote:Wilder has also done OK at Bury as number 2 to Knill.

Other pluses: He's young he knows the conference he certainly has caught the eye of the board and he clearly wants the job (unlike Ward, it transpires, who was more interested in seducing a league club).

Plus we've been through what everyone wanted - an interview process. The outcome is Chris Wilder. I'm happy with that.
Its very difficult to determine the credit due to a no2 at another club without seeing them play.

Being young isn't a plus or minus. Catching the eye of the board is not a plus either.

We have been through a proper process which is a big plus. However, we don't know what the true criteria for offering Wilder the job was, so we may not have got the best man for the job, but the best within criteria set by the board, which can be a very different thing.

Clearly he now must be given full support as there is nowhere else for OUFC to go as a club.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Clearly he now must be given full support as there is nowhere else for OUFC to go as a club.
How sure of that are you?
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by Werthers Original »

&quotportly&quot wrote:to my knowledge, he's the first manager we've ever had with a mohican
ooh doesn't he look northern?
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Has someone caught him with their fishing rod?
entirely disenchanted