Snake
Grumpy old git

Can I just be the first one to say

Post by Snake »

Wilder Out.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Hummm... I have heard that he is the one.

:?
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Chris Wilder

Post by OUFC4eva »

I'm disappointed too.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:Hummm... I have heard that he is the one.

:?
Though of course, loose ends still have to be tied up (i.e. money). And Patto is also after the Mansfield job..

http://www.chad.co.uk/stags/Speed-link- ... mentPage=2
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

You must be very disappointed that your cat didn't get the job Snake.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

Well, my cat wasn't approached for the job and it's below her dignity to apply.

Can I be the first to say &quotwho&quot?
entirely disenchanted
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

The timing of the announcement is interesting. By half time some people in the North Stand knew it was going to be him (and he was in the Directors Box with Mick watching the game) so whatever loose ends there must have been will have been thrashed out between 5 p.m. Saturday and 7 a.m. Sunday!
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

My first reaction was disappointment. My second was why should I be disappointed? What was I expecting to happen? This may have been (self) billed as the biggest job in non-league football, but the key term there is 'non-league' - let alone the fact that the new manager would see little cash provided for players. Wilder has done well under extremely tight financial constraints. He may be young, but he has already got a fair bit of experience at this level. As a young man, he also has a personal incentive to continue to strive to succeed and keep building his career. The more I think about it, the positive I feel.

Two questions, though. Can anybody recall and comment on the style of football he instilled at Halifax? I was at the 2006 play-off final but can remember little about it (clearly too much beer was consumed beforehand). And what do people think about the retention of Mickey Lewis? Has he been associated (causally?) with too much recent failure, or can he really contribute positively as a number 2 to what will presumably be a change of direction under a new boss?
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

Woops don't know what happened there. Please see below!
Last edited by Boogie on Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Boogie »

&quotBoogie&quot wrote:I would have prefered John Ward but CW is probably more likely than some of the other candidates mentioned to bring success on a tight budget, so cautious optimism from me yes.

Not sure about Mickey Lewis. We don't see what he does on the training ground yet we are told he is a good coach. Problem is that so many of our players have deteriorated whilst at Oxford and then played better at other clubs when they leave.

What we really need is good coaching on attacking and striking whereas ML might be better in the defensive department, so I hope that is what CW will bring despite the fact we have 2 defenders as the new management team. Bury have really been banging in the goals haven't they? :roll:
Steppers
Brat

Re:

Post by Steppers »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:The timing of the announcement is interesting. By half time some people in the North Stand knew it was going to be him (and he was in the Directors Box with Mick watching the game) so whatever loose ends there must have been will have been thrashed out between 5 p.m. Saturday and 7 a.m. Sunday!
Really, according to the BBC he was on the south coast with Bury?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotSteppers&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:The timing of the announcement is interesting. By half time some people in the North Stand knew it was going to be him (and he was in the Directors Box with Mick watching the game) so whatever loose ends there must have been will have been thrashed out between 5 p.m. Saturday and 7 a.m. Sunday!
Really, according to the BBC he was on the south coast with Bury?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 790788.stm

It all depends on who you believe. I know I’d go for the BBC every time over a bit of terrace gossip.
The Enforcer
Brat

Post by The Enforcer »

Sounds like a reasonable appointment:

- experienced and relatively successful at this level
- used to working arguably under tighter budgets than at OUFC
- loyal: stuck with Halifax for 6 years
- relatively young and still hungry for success
- not a big name so hopefully less pressure allowing him to get on with the job

That said, I expect he will have been hounded out within 18 months.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

He certainly ticks all the boxes, and I think 18 months is a reasonable time to get us to at least one play-off. Oxford expects and all that (especially while we’re still the biggest club in non-league football).

Given that in most circumstances a new manager would normally brings in a few players, and this isn’t most circumstance, then it will be dead interesting to see what he can do with the current squad – that really will be a good test and I think getting anywhere near to the play-offs will be positive.

Hopefully, come the summer he’ll be able to deal a bit more in the transfer market – probably with a lower budget than Patto had, mind.

All in all, I’m pleased with the decision to appoint him, it just gives the player and fans a bit of a boost while we languish in mid-table, and I’m sure that will be reflected in the gate against MFC.

I’ve not read anything yet about his contract terms, but I'd guess it’s top heavy with bonuses and of a rolling variety – which is great for both parties because any half-decent football manager should do better than what we’ve had to put up with over the last year or so.

And on we go - cue circus music...
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

&quotThomas believes Wilder's record at this level is as good as anyone's, considering the testing conditions he faced at Halifax where there was little money and gradual meltdown behind the scenes.&quot TiU.

Hummm... we need a manager who has experience of working at a club with &quotlittle money and gradual meltdown behind the scenes&quot!