STEVE F
Brat

In answer to comments

Post by STEVE F »

I have read with interest some of the comments since my last post and
have no regrets at all about saying the things i did

The new manager who ever he is will need to rid oxford united of players
who are just not good enough .

I am however encouraged by the number of names being considered by fans on rage on.

Older fans may recall that at the time they were appointed managers Turner Greaves and Smith were all high profile for this reason i think the
club must again look for a top manager with sound knowledge to take the club on .

The job of manager of Oxford United is no place for a novice and i hope
the Chairman will remember that when the new manager is appointed.

These comments may upset and offend some so called fans of oufc
well i do not care about them but i do care about the club and it.s future .
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Re: In answer to comments

Post by amershamwrighty »

&quotSTEVE F&quot wrote:I have read with interest some of the comments since my last post and

I am however encouraged by the number of names being considered by fans on rage on.

Older fans may recall that at the time they were appointed managers Turner Greaves and Smith were all high profile for this reason i think the
club must again look for a top manager with sound knowledge to take the club on .

Steve

I think you have been insulted elsewhere in this thread, whatever the motives. There are times when failure to observe grammatical conventions and the basic principles of punctuation are not that important in the scheme of things and this may be one of them.

Your heart is clearly in the right place and I applaud that. You need have no regrets about your opinions - the last time I looked, freedom of speech was still an important plank of the infrastructure of a civilised society.

There are indeed players who are just not good enough. This IS a comparatively big club with potential (if only in terms of resources, as I have said before) and a decent catchment area.

We just need someone who can command respect, inspire and lead. Being tactically cute would also be an advantage.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

I don't care about STEVE's grammar. In fact, I enjoy it.

What I do care about is his complete inability to grasp any concept of reality. I'd imagine that, like many idiots on TiU, Fozzie had it in for Patto from the start, for having the nerve to be a) not a &quotbig name&quot, b) replacing the wonderous Jim Smith and probably c) not being a flag waving Englishman.

I'm not going to pretend that this season has been great, but I'll argue that despite some mistakes, Patto was trying to get the club back on it's feet, and in the right way. He signed players that, in pre-season, we were all delighted with. Wingers, a Moody-esque striker, a midfielder who could pass. He brought through youth team players and gave them a chance...compare that with his current temporary replacement who said, in the aftermath of the youth team winning the league: &quotnone of them will play fir the fast team while I'm still here&quot.

On the face of it, Patto's record wasn't great. But then, he inherited the worst team I've ever seen represent Oxford United (check the starting XIs v Droylsden (a) and Rushden (a)), and made it better. Our &quotfans&quot want and need instant success though, didn't like him for the reasons listed above, and have hounded him out.

I've been there. I've hated managers, sometimes probably irrationally. But I think we've fucked up here.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

&quotit's&quot Dan?? !

But I'm in broad agreement - particularly about Droylsden away, one of my worst ever experiences of watching Oxford, made tolerable only by the gallows humour of the fans, but most of all about the &quotreality&quot issue - this apparent belief that a club in Oxford's position - both its financial position and its (non) league position - has the flexibility of action implied in the demand for expensive managers and the clearing out of players. One of the great benefits of this forum is that there is a level of rationality about what is possible and feasible, even if we disagree about the roots of the problem and the optimal solution.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

Steve Parkin
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

I’m not going to bite on the (admittedly innovative) approach of getting attention via deliberately poor grammar by Fozzie, because as far as I’m concerned if I don’t know or haven’t met the person who posts on here I will respond in the same way as any casual off the cuff tip tap I do on TiU.

Clearly though, opinions are split on this forum regarding Patto, as opposed to TiU where Mr Angry and his mates vent their fury each time we lose, or on the OxVox forum where none of the committee seem to want to stick their heads above the parapet. Given that quite likely some officials at United do read various I-boards to get feedback it’s a shame that the club don’t have a more scientific approach available to them when making big decisions like changing the manager. In the old days it was big chants of “xxxxx OUT
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Ancient Colin »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:Steve Parkin
Maybe this one?

http&#58//www&#46yell&#46com/listings/D ... g/Plumbers
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

There are several issues raised here and I will focus in on two:

1. The initial post in this thread. Badly written and littered with grammatical errors, this is irrelevant. Goodness knows we all type badly and write with incorrect use of the English language. It was not this that caused me such consternation. It was the content of said post, mainly the section about possible replacements for the manager. Whilst I will not disagree with what STEVE F has since written in regard to the previous appoints of Turner, Greaves and Smith one must realise that is now and not 1960 – 1990. The club is struggling to pay the rent on the very stadium it calls “home
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re: In answer to comments

Post by Mally »

&quotSTEVE F&quot wrote:I have read with interest some of the comments since my last post and

Meanwhile back on planet Earth exactly where do we find a half decent manager prepared to take on the biggest poison chalice south of Newcastle when we have no money? Particularly when the incoming manager (if he's got even half a brain) knows that if we aren't heading the table this time next year he's going to be looking for a new job.

It's a classic Catch 22 situation - anybody who wants the job is clearly far too insane to be able to do the job.
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

Exactly Mally. I just don't think this 'ideal' Manager is going to walk through the door. Any one with sense will stay well away.

I just know that this time next year we'll probably be roughly in the same position we're in now, give or take a place or two (assuming the Club still exists of course) and the latest 'mug' to take over the reigns will be emptying his desk. The cycle will start all over again.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

I think there's a few points to the contrary (and they don't imply any particular view as to the sacking of Patterson, on which question I'm agnostic).

1. You have to have aspirations and impatience or you don't have football supporters. The whole game involves two sets of supporters wanting mutually incompatible results: they can't both get what they want but unless both expect their team to perform to the best of their ability then there's no passion, just spectating. Impatience is crucial to making football what it is.

2. It's not really unreasonable, on some levels, for supporters to expect the team to be towards the top of the table. Supporters will look at the statistics and ask: how many teams in the Conference are better supported than Oxford? Now of course that's not the whole story, but it's part of the story, isn't it?

3. If you want people to be realistic then be wary of getting what you wish for. To my mind, &quotrealistic&quot in the present situation would mean walking away from the club on the grounds that they saw no need to keep on watching the worst crap they have ever been served up in their life. I've often asked myself whether, had I not left Oxford nine years ago, if I still lived within sight of the stadium, I would have kept on going - and to be honest, the answer is &quotI hope not&quot. At least I hope I would long since have junked my season ticket.

To my mind you can have realism from fans when the team is doing relatively well. In the atrocious situation brought about over the last decade, you can either have grumbling, impatient fans or (more likely) you can have no fans at all. It's all very well to feel superior to the shouty idiots, and yes, perhaps many of them are shouty idiots. But why should they not expect something a great deal better than they're getting?
entirely disenchanted
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

What's Joe Kinnear up to these days?

How about we look at a decent assistant manager from a Prem team, like Stoke for example :-p

In all seriousness, I would like to put myself forward, as I can get good performances out of Jamie Guy game after game...as Boris will agree.
yellowportly
Brat

Re:

Post by yellowportly »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:Steve Parkin
an inspired choice

an then when we turn on him, say after about eight games, we could get a flag made with this on it

--== Keep On Keepin' On ==--
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:(players themselves used to be asset once)
Ah, there's the problem - Our players are now liabilities. Creative accounting is what is needed to get us out this mess.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

KT came up with some pretty sensible comments in my view.

As Pena rightly states, shouldn't the supporters expect more than being 18th (or wherever we are at the moment)?

It has not been good enough. The criteria for the new manager to me is spot on (experience of success at this level, able to motivate the players - a weakness of Patterson in my view). I think that the ability to pick players from lower leagues is also important (unlike Smith and Patterson's failed policy of bringing in underperforming previous league players).

Let's at least see players try their heart out for the club.