Ox Vox Members Meeting - this Saturday

Anything yellow and blue
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Ox Vox Members Meeting - this Saturday

Post by Ascension Ox »

Meeting Announcement : Saturday 1 November 2008

Our next members meeting will be held this Saturday from 1.00pm – 2.30pm in the Landmark Room before the York City match.

(The Landmark room is in the Quadrangle conference centre attached to the South Stand – entrance is via the spiral staircase inside the downstairs bar - take the adjacent lift access to the first floor if required)

This is a members only meeting but new members can join on the door entrance is free to all members. No refreshments will be provided on this occasion, the Headington Bar will be open beforehand and there will be a brief drinks break at 1.40pm.

The meeting will be in two parts:

1.00-1.40 TRUST DISCUSSION

We'll be updating members on our recent activities and taking comments and questions about the next steps for the Trust.

1.45-2.30 DENIS SMITH

For the second part of the meeting we're delighted to welcome Denis Smith as our special guest. By arrangement with the publishers, we will have copies of Denis's newly published autobiography for sale in the meeting at a special cash price of £15 to trust members. Come and listen to Denis talking about his career, ask him questions about his time managing OUFC, and buy a signed copy of his book.

Please come along, and bring anyone with you who wishes to join the trust.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re: Ox Vox Members Meeting - this Saturday

Post by Snake »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote: By arrangement with the publishers, we will have copies of Denis's newly published autobiography for sale in the meeting at a special cash price of £15 to trust members.
Or just £11.87 here.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote: By arrangement with the publishers, we will have copies of Denis's newly published autobiography for sale in the meeting at a special cash price of £15 to trust members.
Or just £11.87 here.
Ooops. Who negotiated that deal for OxVox with the publishers? Wasn't Nick Merry was it? :oops:
scooter
Dashing young thing

Post by scooter »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
Or just £11.87 here.
Not signed though.

I see he is also signing copies in the club shop till 1.40pm.

What a dilemma where should the loyal supporter purchase a copy.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:
Or just £11.87 here.
Ooops. Who negotiated that deal for OxVox with the publishers? Wasn't Nick Merry was it? :oops:
Trust gets £5 for each copy sold so it's not that bad a deal. Plus,as Scooter says, its a signed copy.

Anyway Terry, hope to see you at the meeting. Its about time we heard your dulcet tones.
Last edited by Ascension Ox on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote: Or just £11.87 here.
Trust gets £5 for each copy sold so it's not that bad a deal. Anyway Terry, hope to see you at the meeting. Its about time we heard your dulcet tones.
Don't worry, I'll be there, provided Seedy Bob hasn't gone ahead with his plans for castration.

I might even buy a signed copy of Denis' book if the Trust get a fiver a copy.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
Or just £11.87 here.
From Amazon:
&quotDenis Smith is a cult hero in the following places: Stoke-on-Trent, Sunderland, York, West Bromwich, Bristol, Oxford &amp Wrexham.&quot

Surely a typo.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
Or just £11.87 here.
mmm... internet giant squeezing ever-higher margins out of publishers, vs. non-league football supporters trust and a small publishing operation?

how did amazon get the price down that low, and where might i choose to get my copy?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Trust gets £5 for each copy sold so it's not that bad a deal. Plus,as Scooter says, its a signed copy.

Anyway Terry, hope to see you at the meeting. Its about time we heard your dulcet tones.
Bit greedy is that. Can’t you flog it for £11.87 on the day and the trust just gets the £1.87 profit. You could have at least stated in your announcement where the extra was going to.

I mean, you’ve already got about eight grand in the bank, and two separate donation funds pulling more money in. How much money do you need to run that organisation?
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

The two donation funds don't go to the costs of running the trust. For anyone who's interested in where they do go, you can find out here. The donation funds are also where any money the trust receives from the sale of books on Saturday will go.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Thanks, Matt.

It would have been nice if that had been stated as well!
yellowportly
Brat

Post by yellowportly »

I just read the synopsis on the amazon site ...

it makes reference to him saving Fergies job but no reference to him being passed over as England manager ...

shome mishtake shurely ?
--== Keep On Keepin' On ==--
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

&quotMatt D&quot wrote:
mmm... internet giant squeezing ever-higher margins out of publishers, vs. non-league football supporters trust and a small publishing operation?

how did amazon get the price down that low, and where might i choose to get my copy?
I used to work for Amazon, and the pricing is worked out by a really stoopid &quotpricing algorythm&quot basically Amazon's margins are shite.

I think Amazon lost over £4 per copy of the last Harry Potter book.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: Ooops. Who negotiated that deal for OxVox with the publishers? Wasn't Nick Merry was it? :oops:

Bit greedy is that. Can’t you flog it for £11.87 on the day and the trust just gets the £1.87 profit. You could have at least stated in your announcement where the extra was going to.

I mean, you’ve already got about eight grand in the bank, and two separate donation funds pulling more money in. How much money do you need to run that organisation?
Just exactly what is your agenda? Your constant sniping is really getting on my t**s.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

when did you work for amazon?

their strategy was reported in the trade press as one of establishing 'market presence', and they have consistently made a loss until recently, so i'm not surprised to hear their margins weren't great. but the margins they negotiate with publishers are still much better than other retailers get, and it's not because publishers love giving away discount.

the harry potter books have been well-publicised 'loss leaders' for a number of booksellers, so i'm not surprised they were taking a hit on that too.

on a similar thread, walking past maltby's closed shop the other morning i was trying to think about how many small book businesses there are still operating in central oxford. waterfield's, but that's about it i think.