Walsall v Slumdon

Anything yellow and blue
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Walsall v Slumdon

Post by Radley Rambler »

called off at 6.45 tonight.

Fantastic - having negotiated what would have been a horrendous M42 at that time, the inbreds have to turn round and go back to their hovel.

Marvellous.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Slightly random I know, but thinking of Walsall for a moment, I wonder whatever happened to Sumo?
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

The game at Kenilworth Road was called off after eight minutes, which must be one of the quickest on record.
entirely disenchanted
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re: Walsall v Slumdon

Post by Snake »

&quotRadley Rambler&quot wrote:called off at 6.45 tonight.

Fantastic - having negotiated what would have been a horrendous M42 at that time, the inbreds have to turn round and go back to their hovel.

Marvellous.
According to an article in the latest OxVox ezine we shouldn’t hate Slumdon.

A good job that was not posted on here, as I understand the rules rightfully don’t allow such profanity.
newhinkseyyellow
Toddler

Post by newhinkseyyellow »

Interesting article about why we shouldn't hate Slumdon.

If I remember correctly a previous fanzine tried to peddle the same line but both articles ignore the simple biological point - it's in the genes - I can't help hating Slumdon. Sorry!
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

The other bonus here being that you get your money back if the game is called off in the 1st 20 mins. This was called off after 23 mins! Brilliant!
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

And it just keeps getting better.

Apparently “500||
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

What is the swiftest weather-related abandonment that anybody can trace?
entirely disenchanted
SteMerritt
Puberty

Re:

Post by SteMerritt »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:This was called off after 23 mins! Brilliant!
I thought the game was called off an hour before the start?
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:What is the swiftest weather-related abandonment that anybody can trace?
Well it probably won't count because the clock hadn't started, but there was our game at Watford that was called off a minute before kick-off.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

&quotboris&quot wrote:Well it probably won't count because the clock hadn't started
Indeed.

What interests me is games where conditions were deemed to be fit for play to start - and then rapidly ceasing to be so.
entirely disenchanted
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:
&quotboris&quot wrote:Well it probably won't count because the clock hadn't started
Indeed.

What interests me is games where conditions were deemed to be fit for play to start - and then rapidly ceasing to be so.
Fog must be a major contributor in that scenario.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re: Walsall v Slumdon

Post by A-Ro »

&quotSnake&quot wrote: According to an article in the latest OxVox ezine we shouldn’t hate Slumdon.

A good job that was not posted on here, as I understand the rules rightfully don’t allow such profanity.
I'm sorry but he (if it is a he) just isn't right, I could understand if he was very young and had never been to a derby match but he appears to be of an age where he would have experienced a few. My first trip to the County Ground ended in a glorious 3 - 1 win but prior to the game Steve Daniels and I (yes the same Steve Daniels who takes the photos) were threatened in the ground by a bloke with a hammer who wanted to steal our scarves and the feelings all started from that point.

Everything about the place makes me want to hate it, crap parking, crap stand, even crapper stewards (remind me to tell you one day about the time I got thrown out before I even got in), crap fans who think they're hard but run when you say boo, crap crowd control - 2 years running we had to let ourselves out (by removing the gates from their hinges), crap terracing before the stands were put in (uprooted crash barrier anyone?), crap refereeing decisions (where else would a goal be allowed to stand while the goalie is blinded by a smoke bomb?) and worst of all crap results there year after year after year.

God I really hate them and I do stand up - in the SSL - on my own.

Hammer man never did get our scarves, he ran off when us skinny 17 year olds laughed at him and told him to fuck off.

And a crap roundabout.

EDIT - missed out a question mark - don't want the punctuation police onto me.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Dr Bob »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:
Indeed.

I think we can include the first Watford match in this category - because the referee was out there warming up alongside the players prior to kick-off, so the pitch must, at that point, still have been seen as acceptable for play. This was what threw me and those around me at the time - we could not understand how the match could have been called off when they had only just been out there warming up on a pitch where conditions - presumably, with hindsight - did actually deteriorate so swiftly.

A tie also memorable, of course, because the rearranged fixture only went ahead because there was an electrician amongst the Oxford fans who could fix Watford's knackered floodlights it was, as I recall, a match Matty Elliott was threatening not to play in because he wanted to be allowed to move to Leicester - oh, and after all that, we lost....
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

Apparently, according to a Slumdon fan on 606 last night, the team coach broke down on the way back!

It just gets better and better...