Tempting fate

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Tempting fate

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quot...there won't be many Conference teams that can live with the resurgent Yellows...&quot

Really, Boris. I know this is all what we're hoping, but I thought you'd know better than to write it down.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

It's not really saying much though is it.

We could see off most of the Conference and still miss out if we fail to live with the minority of teams who can do better than us this season.

Personally, I am a strong believer this year (although I won't allow myself to tempt fate by putting money on it) due to there being a PLAN and a good chance that we will have a settled team at the start of the season.

We haven't had a settled side - especially a settled strike partnership -even by Christmas for many seasons (year of the last time anyone?) yet I am convinced we will have one by the end of August this season.

It really does look like Patto knows what he is doing.

Barrow on a Friday night won't tell us very much but if we kick the Tuesday night curse against Weymouth we should go on to dominate the majority of teams in the Conference at least until Guy gets injured / banned or Patto is headhunted by a league club.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Nooooooooooooooooo stop it, all of you, stop it NOW.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

It's a well known fact that Oxford always win the league in any year ending in an 8.

Therefore, coupled with the opposition's inevitable tendency to choke at the last minute, plus the fact that we have the best team since '84, I'm confident we will have it sewn up by the end of March.

In fact, even though I'm notorious for losing even the most rock solid of bets, I've remortgaged my house and put it on Oxford for BSP champions.

There, that should be all the jinxes out of the way.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

Eh?
entirely disenchanted
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:In fact, even though I'm notorious for losing even the most rock solid of bets, I've remortgaged my house and put it on Oxford for BSP champions.
I'm superstitious and as a result I never bet on United. I'm beginning to realise that perhaps the reason we've been doing so badly in recent years is becasue I haven't been betting on them.

So come on Snake where's the best odds available on us winning the league?
Roo
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Roo »

I think there is a website called 'odds checker' but I think the best value is for Jamie Guy to end up as top scorer in the league.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:In fact, even though I'm notorious for losing even the most rock solid of bets, I've remortgaged my house and put it on Oxford for BSP champions.
I'm superstitious and as a result I never bet on United. I'm beginning to realise that perhaps the reason we've been doing so badly in recent years is becasue I haven't been betting on them.

I don't bet very often, but I've never yet won a bet based on Oxford United winning anything.

The question is, should I try to break this hoo-doo and place a bet on us to go up as champions this season?
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:

I don't bet very often, but I've never yet won a bet based on Oxford United winning anything.

The question is, should I try to break this hoo-doo and place a bet on us to go up as champions this season?
No!! that's completely different, you do bet and never win, I however never bet. for me to make a bet would alter the status quo and thereby make us win (the status quo being that we consistently lose) but by you making a bet it would not alter the status quo so for safety's sake you should refrain from betting.
Roo
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Roo »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:

DON'T DO IT!!!!!

There's too much to lose. Have a bet on Sw*ndon NOT getting relegated instead?
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Geoff »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:Eh?
Hello Peña,

What are the criteria for you dispensing with your 'entirely disenchanted' footnote? Are we close?
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Why would you think so?

Have we won any games since the end of last season?
entirely disenchanted
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

(Though that wasn't what &quoteh?&quot was about, to be honest....)
entirely disenchanted
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:Why would you think so?

Ermm, yes, quite a few actually.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:Why would you think so?

Ermm, yes, quite a few actually.
The league tables take a different view and one rather closer to mine.
entirely disenchanted